Archive for Wednesday, June 21, 2006

FBI inquiry stalled by lack of formal complaint

June 21, 2006

A federal probe into possible misconduct within the Lawrence Police Department has stalled as the FBI waits for a formal complaint to be filed.

FBI spokesman Jeff Lanza said no one had come forward with a formal complaint alleging anyone posed as FBI agents when questioning people in relation to a police investigation of an alleged fencing ring at the Yellow House secondhand shop, 1904 Mass.

"We cannot move forward without a formal complaint," Lanza said.

Lanza previously said the FBI was looking into the matter.

Sarah Swain, attorney for Yellow House, said she and a private investigator were working to set up a meeting between the FBI and people who allegedly have been interrogated by police officers claiming to be federal agents.

Swain also said a private investigator sent the FBI at least one sworn affidavit that should serve as a formal complaint.

The Lawrence Police fencing investigation, which began last year, has focused on the alleged purchase and resale of stolen goods through the secondhand store and online sales, according to a police news release from December 2005.

Police have served search warrants at the Yellow House and at the home of Guy and Carrie Neighbors, the store owners, in relation to the case.

No charges have been filed as a result of the monthslong fencing investigation.

The police department has declined comment about the FBI inquiry, saying it was against department policy to discuss another agency's probe.

Comments

Michael Birch 8 years, 6 months ago

If anybody that you know has ever been approached by

someone from the Lawrence Police who has

misrepresented themself as an FBI agent, you need to

contact either Carried Neighbors or the private

investigator working the case. This is our chance to

once and for all bring and in to the illegal activities

perpetrated by the Lawrence Police. The Lawrence

Police are a second-rate law enforcement agency that

needs to constantly scrutinized. This bottom line is that

someone must put an end to their illegal activites. It is a federal

offence to impersonate an FBI agent!

Dude

dthroat 8 years, 6 months ago

"It is a federal offence to impersonate an FBI agent!"

Not to discourage truthful complaints, but people should keep in mind it is ALSO a federal offense to LIE to an FBI agent. Just make sure you have the facts straight before you complain.

And it would be nice if the private investigator was identified in the article so people could contact him/her.

poolside 8 years, 6 months ago

He's not private if they print his name. Call Sara Swain's office and tell them you want to talk.

ben_ness 8 years, 6 months ago

The detective is private because he does not work for the public.

Dude: were you stoned when you wrote hat

Sigmund 8 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, right. Well I guess when this "witness" was cautioned that filing a false police report or lying under oath to the FBI was a crime their feet got a little cold. To be honest, this "complaint" doesn't pass the laugh or the smell test.

dthroat 8 years, 6 months ago

I know this is an exercise in futility but could there be ONE topic on this board that Smitty cannot relate back to the tragic Sevier case????????

Linda Endicott 8 years, 6 months ago

I'm really wondering about the FBI saying they don't have a formal complaint. I tried to call the FBI once, years ago, about another case, and was told that a private citizen can't ask the FBI to become involved in a case. I was told that they will only become involved if the local police request it. This also applies to the KBI.

I don't think in this case that the local police is going to ask the FBI to investigate the LPD.

sunshiner 8 years, 6 months ago

Who in this country can we turn to we we are needing someone to police the police? I once walked up on a group of undercover Lawrence detectives illegally searching a vehicle on the side of the street (without the owner's consent and without a search warrant). I walked up and asked one of the detectives why they were illegally searching the car. He told me it was "none of my damn business" and "I needed to vacate the area or he would arrest me for obstructing a police investigation." I laughed and told him, "Well, I guess I can't very well call the cops on you can I???" This is scary stuff to me. The Lawrence Police can engage in openly illegal behavior (this illegal search was taking place in broad daylight) and yet when citizens finally have the nerve to come forward they are met with the FBI backpeddling with their tail between their legs. Let's not let this huge opportunity that has been placed in front of us go down the drain. Let's encourage all citizens who have been wronged by the LPD to come forward with the knowledge that we will stand together in this fight!!! JUSTICE WILL PREVAIL IN THIS FIGHT!!

Sunshiner -

First of all, if they were "undercover" how do you know they were from LPD and not some other agency which is constantly in the Lawrence/Douglas County area. Second of all, you do not always need a search warrant or permission to search a vehicle.... that has been discussed over and over on the blogs.

Insider --

I thought it was already determined on other postings that you are Swain... or at least speaking for her.

switzerland 8 years, 6 months ago

Sanders~ I've determined that you are actually a cop. Also, I vote for Sarah Swain as chairperson of the review board.

sanders 8 years, 6 months ago

Well you must have read the blog... it was about the FBI inquiry.... you made several posts before and after people started bringing it up, so I don't know how you wouldn't have seen it.

Why have you only posted about items relating to the FBI investigation? And, according to your other posts you are an "Insider" with personal knowledge of the investigation... so how do you come into all of this information. I don't expect that you will give up your identity, but it would be nice to know where you get all of you top secret information, instead of just making faceless accusations.

Switzerland --

I'm not, but that's fine. I just think all of this is ridiculous and I like to call it how I smell it.

switzerland 8 years, 6 months ago

You think that trying to keep the police in line is ridiculous?

Insider --

I also work for a living, but have my summer months off so I have plenty of time on my hands for pointless stuff like this. I'm not trying to start an argument with you and I did not make accusations in the previous blog.. I just read it like you did.

Switzerland --

No I don't think it is ridiculous... and as with any profession there are always going to be bad apples that need to be dealt with. The problem I have is general accusations with no information to support it. People like Insider and Marion as well as numerous others make general claims like "I know they always do ..... " but there is never a real example. Or claim to have personal / secret knowledge without any evidence to support the claim.

Or in the case of that Wak. music festivals countless people have posted about things they heard about or that friends have seen happen, never anything that happened to them.

I am all for correcting problems and holding people accountable, but I get annoyed with generalizations and people being anti-government in general.

Justice_For_All 8 years, 6 months ago

I can give you some specifics, Sanders. Cops in this town have followed innocent citizens trying to intimidate them. Cops in this town have forced innocent citizens into vehicles and driven them to the police station against their will for hours of interrogation. Cops in this town have offered innocent citizens money in order to go into the Yellow House store and try to sell the Neighbors (also innocent citizens) "stolen goods." Since the police are clearly in possession of what they have determined to be stolen goods, how is it that they are not an accessory to a crime if they give these items to others to sell at the Yellow House store???? VERY INTERESTING QUESTION.....

sanders 8 years, 6 months ago

Again, that is not an example and the way I read the post, it did not happen to you. I would like some sort of proof, documentation, evidence, etc. Or at least a personal story.

I can say that I have a personal contact with someone in the White House and that they are putting chemicals in our water forcing us to vote Republican and boycott the National Leaugue of baseball. I'm sure that would cause a riot, but I have nothing to support the accusation.

sunshiner 8 years, 6 months ago

sanders-

I knew they were undercover Lawrence detectives, because I was given one of their business cards. I am not making this up and it is not a generalization. This is a bona fide example of corruption. Obviously, I don't want to provide names on this forum, but in a court of law I would swear to this statement.

Sunshiner --

That's fine... but that still leaves the question of the search open. How do you know they did not have a warrant, permission or other probable cause?

switzerland 8 years, 6 months ago

Sanders~ Isn't someone that swears by an affidavit a good example? Sunshiner also has an example for you. He even says that he would swear to it. I agree that people shouldn't make generalizations, but we also shouldn't the possibility that the police might be engaging in some shady behavior. Why are you so unwilling to believe that? Could it be because you are actually a cop?

fiveohtr 8 years, 6 months ago

Sunshiner--- Did the incident that you were referring to happpen on Willow Cove??? If so I have video footage of that incident. It shows the LPD illegally breaking into a vehicle parked outside of one of the townhomes there. I would testify to this in court, and I also have the footage to back it up.

Justice_For_All 8 years, 6 months ago

Sanders, sounds like you abide by the old LPD game of bait and switch, smoke and morrors, and anything else to deflect attention away from what's really going on. Anybody else out there notice that as soon as the story broke about the FBI investigating the LPD we learned that Lawrence "MAY" have a serial rapist. SAME EXACT DAY!!!! Of course, Sanders, if I recall correctly there was NO information contained in that story that would make us think that those four rapes were connected. In today's age, if a serial rapist is on the prowl he will be leaving matching DNA, fingerprints, something. Of course no mention of anything like that on the story, just enough info. to make us scared and grateful for the LPD. Didn't work on me and I hope it didn't work on others.

Justice_For_All 8 years, 6 months ago

Sounds like Sanders (who is known in real life as detective so-and-so) has had each and every one of his lame comments destroyed.

sanders 8 years, 6 months ago

I don't have a comment on the rape case...I don't live in Lawrence any longer so I haven't heard anything besides the couple brief LJ World articles. As far as the affidavit, I will have to go back and read the article, I only remember that being posted about, not in the article.

sanders 8 years, 6 months ago

I take that back... it was in the article.

fiveohtr 8 years, 6 months ago

Sanders, Wow, you were away form the blogging for awhile, did the traffic stop take extra time--- no insurance???

switzerland 8 years, 6 months ago

It's clear from the article that the FBI has an affidavit that has been sworn to under oath. If that isn't good enough evidence for you, I don't know what is. You can actually read the affidavit from the woman. Click above.

sunshiner 8 years, 6 months ago

fiveohtr-

if you really have video of that incident, you should send that to Swain and see if she can do something about it. I will contact her today as well because now I have someone to support my story. Not sure anything can be done, but just one more concrete example of (above the) law enforcement. If people don't start standing up for their rights, someday it may be too late.

fiveohtr 8 years, 6 months ago

Sounds like the LPD is going to find it virtually impossible to wriggle out of this one. It's about time the citizens of Lawrence found the courage to come forth and report these slimeballs for the tactics that they continually engage in.

sanders 8 years, 6 months ago

That's interesting... I didn't realize they had the affidavit posted on the website.

switzerland 8 years, 6 months ago

Is that the kind of "proof, documentation, or evidence" that you were asking for?

sanders 8 years, 6 months ago

Absolutely... I was looking for someone to give a personal example... and that was.

acg 8 years, 6 months ago

A friend of mine was arrested by the LPD a few years ago and was transported to the police station in the trunk of their car. He won an out of court settlement against them. My friend Deleon has sued them twice for racist behavior on the part of the racist pigs that work there. $10,000 one settlement, $15,000 on the other. Someone should explain to the piggies that they shouldn't use the N word. Especially when you're hitting the wrong suspect over the head. I've already mentioned my best friend who was married to an LPD officer and he had a problem keeping his hands off her kids. When she filed charges against him, their answer to solving the problem was to make him attend a mandatory 3 hour anger management class. Anyone else bruises up an 8 year old, they would probably have a stiffer penalty. Years ago, I used to hang out at the Yacht Club because it was close to home. The cops used to use that bar as an after hours hangout, too. Walked into the girls bathroom once, saw two chick cops doing lines off a small make up mirror. They told me to "beat it". How is that for personal examples? I've yet to meet an LPD officer that wasn't a smarmy piece of garbage.

nekansan 8 years, 6 months ago

Funny how the star witness in this case can't seem to find the business card that the "FBI" agent gave her. Or remember the exact date. Or the name of even one of the individuals she traveled with. What the badge said? The type of license plate or county/state of issue on the vehicle? Does the LPD even have any dark blue SUVs? And since when are parolees told not to cooperate with law enforcement? See where I'm going here:. Doesn't anyone else also find it funny that this investigation is being handled by the US Attorney's office, not the LPD or the local DA? That would certainly indicate to me that we are talking a federal case and the involvement of the FBI would not be out of the question. Everyone seems so ready to jump on the LPD, but from what is publicly available NOTHING indicates they have done anything even remotely wrong in this case. All you have is a parolee who says someone identified themselves as FBI and took them to the LPD for questioning, and then at the very end of their statement claims that, Oh Yea, I think they were Lawrence PD. Yea, that's the ticket. This whole thing sound like guilty clients trying to do ANYTHING they can to draw attention away from them and build a defense for when this case does go to trial. I guess time will tell, but I know where I'd place my bets. I'm also amused how the FBI went from savior coming to rescue the city from the LPD to evil law enforcement agency that is as corrupt as all the rest in one day. I guess it's all about what serves the conspiracy theory of the moment.

yellowhouse 8 years, 6 months ago

WHO IS TRULY FREE?-----by carrie neighbors

The world lies in the power of the Evil one

He cast the bondage upon the slave

The Prince of darkness blinding man

from birth until the grave.

Seeking the mind of those that doubt

The unbelievers shall never see the light

For the Prince of Darkness rules this world

Blinding them when the truth is in sight

What feels like freedom is bondage

Oh foolish are those who don't see,

Those who conform not to this world

Are the ones who are truly free!

cronk 8 years, 6 months ago

I think the yellow house issues with the police is due to the pawn shop not being happy about the used appliance store buying and selling stuff the pawn shop is hoping to get. The problem is the pawn shop will not offer you a fair price for your item. Think about it, the yellow house has pissed off someone and the pawn shop is the only business that buy and in the same capacity, however the pawn shop dose not sell.......you go into the pawn shop on 6th st. and look around they have item priced so high you could buy a new one with a warranty for 20.00 more than what they have stuff priced at, this tells me the pawn shop is not looking to sell anything, they just want to look FULL and why would that be,,,,, think about it if they are full all of the time with inventory they can wash money yep i said it money" laundry"operation. Why would the police help them run the yellow house out of business, maybe because the police have been selling peoples evidence to the pawn shop, think about it.laptops, nice bikes,Firearms, drugs, what a nice set-up.Guns seized in drug raids no one will claim how sweet. I have been to the police auctions and they have junk were is all of the nice stuff they take from people.The police have a serious problem with handling of evidence a lot of stuff will not make it to the police dept. It's at the officers homes or in the pawn shopThe police have a new program with the pawn shops they do all of the paper work on line,the police said they do things this way as to not make the business look bad having the police cars parked in front of the busineses, but the yellow house gets 3 police cars and 5 officers to collect one check stub. Go figure.

yellowhouse 8 years, 6 months ago

I would hope that no other business has to go through what we have been through. Think about it, there are stores that sell strictly on ebay, if they are done like we were done then they will be totally out of business! Without even any proof of wrong doing! pretty scary folks!

frowns 8 years, 6 months ago

I'm not sure but the Officer Jay Bialek that I know of is about oh let's say the size of a small 10 year old child. I'm pretty sure that there isn't a whole lot of intimidation going on.

dthroat 8 years, 6 months ago

And guess what. You can be a police officer and wear your badge on your belt in plain clothes if that is your assignment. That is NOT lying nor violating anyone's civil rights. There exists such a thing as Temporary Assignment and some of them they do not have to be dressed in uniform.

I am thinking the only "insiderinfo" here is on the Yellow House side and from past posts this person has a lot of things confused.

I do wish the Feds (yes Feds) would get off their butts and file the charges that are coming so this could be settled in court (although some people here won't believe that either).

And I know..... Another poem is probably the next post, Oh Well.......

Thank you.

And I agree with frowns... The Jay Bialek I know is not into intimidation (not because of size but because of character), but he won't put up with it either.

Good night and good luck.

cronk 8 years, 6 months ago

Our origination is setting up a web site where the average person can go to and leave your police stories Good or Bad and the stories will be posted for all to read, and we will have the site set up so a person can pick a state enter a officer's name and be able to pull up information about that officer from news paper articles and or from the posted stories, this way if a officer moves from state to state he or she can still be held accountable for the decision they make or do not make. This kind of web site would be good in helping show different patterns of behavior for officers who have issues. It will be a few weeks before we get the site up and running, in the mean time i would love to start collecting Lawrence police stories please send your stories to bearsden60@msn.com I will add you to my contact list and when the days story go's out you will get a copy if it in your email. If you send in a story please inform me as to if you would like to be added to the mailing list. Please keep in mind we have about 107 police officers on the police dept. and i think only 12% of them have serious issues. This new site is not a Bash all of the police site , we will be collecting information to help show patterns need to show abuse or patterns of being a great officer. If a cop breaks the law or violates your rights please let us know. We are also looking for suggestions about the legal aspect of this idea, and any tips to make it work smooth. Please email me my name is UN and my email address is bearsden60@msn.com Thanks Please tell your buddies about us, make sure they have our email address. bearsden60@msn.com I can't wait to see what kinds of stories come to surface.

yellowhouse 8 years, 6 months ago

THE TRUTH----By Carrie Neighbors

Truth is like the black of night This fact we cannot change But what ever is wrong, before too long Will correct and rearrange.

Circumstance beyond control penetrates our very soul I pray the truth you somehow hear In black of night with pure delight The truth becomes so clear!

My friends so dear, the truth you'll hear Just believe in what your told Truth in sight, like black of night Justice shall unfold.

yellowhouse 8 years, 6 months ago

What feels like freedom is bondage

Oh foolish are those who dont see

Those who conform not to this world

Are the ones who are truly free!

cronk 8 years, 6 months ago

More guns found near downtown bar J-W Staff Reports

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Lawrence police early Sunday confiscated three guns, including an assault rifle, found in a pickup truck parked in the 700 block of New Hampshire Street.

Three Kansas City-area men were given notices to appear in Municipal Court for having firearms near a drinking establishment.

Shortly before 3 a.m., officers saw a case they thought might contain a firearm in the back of the truck.

They watched as the truck was approached by six men after patrons began leaving Last Call, a nearby dance bar at 729 N.H.

Officers talked to the men and then found an AK-47 assault rifle inside the case. They also found two pistols, a Ruger .45 and a .380-caliber. Two Kansas City, Mo., men, ages 20 and 22, and a 22-year-old Kansas City, Kan., man were issued notices to appear in court.

Police have confiscated several weapons found in vehicles in the same area over the past few months.

Shots were fired inside Last Call a few weeks ago, though nobody was injured. Where do you think those guns are now? Could they be headed to Fraternal Order of Police Club out by Lone star Lake ? Is this where the guns from drug raid and illegal search and seizers go ? Are they divided up at the F.O.P Club between officers who are convinced they are FBI Agents ? Will some of them get to ride back to Lawrence in a unmarked car, that will stop at the pawn shop to find them new home's ? OR do you think these guns will end up at the Ceaderhills gun club south of lawrence ? Do you think these guns could have went straight to the officers house's ? Apparently some officers are fed up with all of the illegal searches and harassment going on in the yellow house case.Will the city call for a Investigation before someone gets hurt?