Archive for Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Peace and quiet

June 20, 2006

To the editor:

Not everyone has the same taste in music or welcomes the Wakarusa music festival. Since the inception of the festival three years ago, I have endured music so loud that I am unable to go outside my home, and inside, I must have a TV or radio on, which only partially blocks the din. I am unable to fall asleep until the music has ended. (The festival was given permission by the state of Kansas to play until 5:30 in the morning.)

If a sorority or fraternity had a party with music so loud that it impacted the entire west side of the city and to areas beyond, they would be fined for disturbing the peace and quiet of their neighbors. Why the difference in the way the law is applied? A festival should not "buy" the surrounding quiet and peace at others expense.

In February, I contacted the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks and was told this year the speakers would be directed in such a fashion that it would impact the surrounding area to a lesser degree. Sadly, the opposite has happened and the music was louder than before.

Calls to Clinton State Park were futile. No one answered and their recording device stated "memory full."

Perhaps the festival can be moved to an area where it impacts fewer people. If it was located in a "bowl" and the speakers were directed downward, then the rest of us would not have to endure someone else's musical tastes.

Carole Barry,

Lawrence

Comments

b_asinbeer 8 years, 6 months ago

Carole sounds bitter. Sounds like a complaining neighbor to me...

Kelly Powell 8 years, 6 months ago

Hell, I'm jumping on the bandwagon and am going to make money off those people next year.......And can we please not hear about this topic for at least ten more months?

theifoncross 8 years, 6 months ago

I hate the sound of the bus every morning at 6:30 am

xenophonschild 8 years, 6 months ago

I hate the whiny voice of my co-worker every morning.

local_support 8 years, 6 months ago

Sounds like the perfect time to take a vacation Carole.

Jamesaust 8 years, 6 months ago

"Why the difference in the way the law is applied?"

Well, obviously because they had a permit. I'm inconvenienced whenever there is a parade downtown. I'm inconvenienced whenever blasting occurs nearby.

Still, the author's complaint seems unique. Perhaps in future years a quarter can be collected at the gate from each visitor. At 50,000 attendees, that's $12,500, which could be distributed to those within a certain hearing distance (must be present to win). That's well worth a long weekend of noise.

ben_ness 8 years, 6 months ago

The worst is the gas powered chainsaw or weed-eater at 8am on Sunday morning. I have woken up to that more than once in my lifetime.

Come on Carole, was it really THAT bad?

brfts 8 years, 6 months ago

Only a yuppie in West Lawrence would make a comment like this..you sound like a Johnson County person.

BDitty 8 years, 6 months ago

I'm with you rednekbuddha...enough already, didn't those smelly hippies leave town like a week ago? It's bad enough that I have to put up with them while they are here, but to then hear about it for the next month is ANNOYING!!!!!