Archive for Saturday, June 17, 2006

A crackdown?

June 17, 2006

To the editor:

I attended the Wakarusa Music Festival this weekend. The only violence I saw was that of police directed at concert attendees. If Kansas wants me to believe they are truly trying to crack down on drug and alcohol violations, I better read about a similar crackdown when NASCAR comes to Kansas City, Kan., Oct. 1. If not, Kansas' actions, or lack thereof, speak for themselves.

Ethan Alpert,

Louisville, Colo.

Comments

BrianR 8 years, 6 months ago

Yes. It's one thing to accidentally shoot yourself in the foot but in case of the Wakarusa Law Enforcement Fest, officials are taking careful aim at their foot.

It's beyond idiotic.

reginafliangie 8 years, 6 months ago

Can you really compare the law enforcement problems with Kansas City? There are in a different county, they may do things there own way. It won't be the same agencies so wishing that probably won't happen. But I would like to see something similar on KU game days.

kansasboy 8 years, 6 months ago

Its like comparing apples to oranges. Wakarusa Music Fest is a big dirty hippie fest where of coarse drugs are going to be involved. The other is a damn redneck fest where the worse thing that happens there is some people get a little drunk and come home with a sunburn.

Berserk 8 years, 6 months ago

Actually Nascar fans are very polite, the worst thing you are going to find out there are emtpy budweiser cans and cheap ciggarette butts, maybe some chew on the ground. Nascar for some unknown reason has become more of a family event.

And I hate Nascar and other "redneck" events. I did however attend a chiefs game two years ago, I couldn't even stand being there with all those a*holes and shtbags, the football fans are the most drunken peices of trash in the midwest. I am so glad we don't have any professional football teams in Kansas.

Chiefs fans are garbage.

Curtiss 8 years, 6 months ago

Actually, reginafliangie, the Kansas Highway Patrol and the Drug Enforcement Administration have just as much jurisdiction in Wyandotte County as they have in Douglas.

xenophonschild 8 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, and they ache for the brown shirts and hob-nailed boots.

People already inclined to fascism flow to law enforcement like water goes downhill. They can cover it with a uniform and the "Protect & Serve" slogan, but they shouldn't fool anyone.

The best thing is to work hard at avoiding them.

xenophonschild 8 years, 6 months ago

Beserk:

Had to chuckle. Am going to check in on this thread regularly to see what the Chiefie-lovers have to say.

Terry Jacobsen 8 years, 6 months ago

Xeno wrote:

"The best thing is to work hard at avoiding them."

Of course the best way to avoid them is to "OBEY" the law and be a decent human being. I have yet to hear of anyone being arrested for "being too good".

Kelly Powell 8 years, 6 months ago

Puhlease! Everybody breaks laws at one point or another in their life.....There are too many NOT to break a few.....My personal outlook is choose those that are actually there for the greater good and ignore those I believe are b.s.......and if and when I get caught, I pay my dues and walk on....you can be a decent human being and not obey every law that is thrown at you. saying that, i will agree that the people whining about the man hassling them is just that, WHINING. Get smarter....do not get so messed up that you get caught with a bunch of stuff on you, and keep a lower damn profile.