Archive for Wednesday, June 7, 2006

A-plus in hubris

June 7, 2006

To the editor:

I can't believe I'm writing a letter to the editor over an editorial about a political cartoon ("Report card," June 1). It's an unfortunate example of how the vital conversation over serious matters of state has devolved to cartoonist name calling: "Obviously the cartoonist is one of the 'Bush-haters' : by : a media intent on trying to discredit Bush."

Of the thousands of political cartoons generated each day, the Journal-World selected the aforementioned for publication. Discrediting media might include your own editorial page editor who chose to run this graphic opinion in the first place.

More importantly, the editor missed the point: President Bush's performance was being rated as failing by his own Republican party, represented by the elephant/parent. I agree with those Republicans who see little evidence that President Bush has improved either my life or that of my grandchildren. He has failed his party and all Americans.

The decider-in-chief's choices have benefited cronies and those who bought his election. He has initiated two wars, allowed special interests to write our laws, unilaterally curtailed civil liberties and due process, promoted a fatal energy non-policy, increased the number of Americans who lack basic health insurance, and crafted the "No Child's Behind Left" Act designed to destroy free public education and doom a generation of our nation's most vulnerable citizens.

One thing is clear: President Bush has earned an A-plus in hubris.

Steve Lopes,

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 5 months ago

RT loves the smell of his vacuous posts in the morning.

cowboy 9 years, 5 months ago

I think the best argument against the current dictatorship regime is this:

Bush was elected and the republicans had both houses. They had a rare chance to do some good for the country but instead chose to serve idealogue philosophy. With the majorities they have but will soon lose , they could have done good things. They could have used diplomacy , they had the world behind them , they squandered that , they could have funded alot of programs to help the middle and lower classes , they chose to serve the corporations and rich , they could have fixed our healthcare sytem but sold us out to the pharma companies.

They could have been a congress and admin that served the people , but they only served themselves at the public trough.

They could have been caring christians , but they are only whores for the special interests. They had absolute power but they are absolutely corrupt.

paladin 9 years, 5 months ago

Yippee Tie Ky Yay, ride em Cowboy! That just about tells the tale. It is very telling that the only defense of Emperor George that the Busheviks can dredge up is that He is not Clinton. And that any discussion of the Emperor's "achievements" becomes an opportunity to Bushwack poor, pathetic Mr. Bill.

cowboy 9 years, 5 months ago

Thank you gents , I think all politicians should be equipped with shock collars , we can then just dial a toll free number and give them a zap , and an immediate admonition , what the hel@ were you thinking !

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 5 months ago

And if they could all trigger each other's shock collars, it'd be like that Simpson's episode where they had the chance to shock each other as part of a "family therapy session."

Bruce Bertsch 9 years, 5 months ago

I still haven't figured out what part of 8 years of relative peace and unprecedented prosperity rightthinker was so upset about while Clinton was POTUS. I guess balanced budgets, political compromise and a strong economy are now considered "horrible."

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 5 months ago

No, probably not-- the many faith-based, who-needs-facts, true believers like you and RT are immune to opinion change.

ForThePeople 9 years, 5 months ago

OMG cowboy...very well said!

Rightthinker....your last post just solidified the opinions of the "so-called" liberals you dislike so much!

windex 9 years, 5 months ago

All Hail to RT, for he has Money! He has a boat. He eats steak. He has a big vehicle. He is Important. His life has Meaning. He is most virtuous because he has these Things.

RT, I have money, too. I worked hard for it but acknowledge the following: I went to excellent public schools, paid for by (gasp!) taxes. I received (gasp) free lunches at these schools because my folks were poor. I enjoy drinking clean water , having decent roads upon which to drive my own not-so-big car, breathing mostly clean air, and visiting public institutions such as museums, zoos, national parks, national forests, national seashores, and national monuments. Does this make me a "tax & spend liberal" or a "tree hugger?"

We're all in this together. I'm sorry you think half the population of our beautiful country is intolerable and "weird."

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 5 months ago

Come on, Kevin. Even if you approve of the actions, you can't deny that BushCo initiated both of those wars.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 5 months ago

"See, bozo, I don't agree with liberal opinion, remember, you guys like dissent, right?"

That'd be fine if you could ever base that disagreement on anything resembling facts. Instead, you follow the typical ditto-head pattern of basing your opinions on the party-line of your "team."

You're really nothing more than a cheerleader who doesn't even have the advantage of a tight bod in a skimpy little outfit.

windex 9 years, 5 months ago

Hello? "Down-and-out, it's everyones elses fault, I'm so oppressed" libbies:" - this is the opposite of the content of my post.

ForThePeople 9 years, 5 months ago

RT...excuse me, did I say I hate Bush? No, I simply commented on your post!! While I may not agree with the choices he's made, hatred I something I choose to avoid, unlike you!

happyone 9 years, 5 months ago

Man rightthinker must be very little (-) to have to over compensate that much!!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 5 months ago

I can never quite shake the thought that RT is a very clever parody of the classic "rightthinker."

But then again, the whole mindset, based primarily on superstition and a general lack of critical thinking skills, just can't help but parody itself.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 5 months ago

"Perhaps you think the 8-year-old boy who was hit by a car that ran a red light this week initiated the accident."

While Bush has much in common with most 8-year-olds, other than that there is nothing similar about the two events.

Try again, Kevin.

ForThePeople 9 years, 5 months ago

"While Bush has much in common with most 8-year-olds"

Most of the 8-year olds I know, make better choices than Bush does....LOL

westcoastmama 9 years, 5 months ago

Moderationman. during the 8 years Clinton was POTUS... lunatics were planning the largest attack ever on US. I suppose it's difficult to concentrate on that sort of stuff with an intern under your desk.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 5 months ago

And there are still lunatics planning attacks on the US. But instead of addressing that problem, Bush creates the greatest recruiting tool they could ask for by putting our troops into an impossible quagmire in Iraq, where, as happens in all wars, they commit atrocities that alienate and enrage everyone in the region. As if they weren't alienated and enraged enough already.

westcoastmama 9 years, 5 months ago

sorry, i just responded to someone else bringing him up... no pun intended...

I fully support Bush... I think going into Iraq is just fine... I think we're doing an alright job there. not perfect... but it's a war ... war is hell. economically... I'm ok... always have been, i take that as my responsibilty... not the governments.

What I like about Bush is he does what he says he's going to do. what you see is what you get pretty much. I think he has his heart in the right place.

Never got that warm fuzzy feeling for Kerry/Gore/ or Clinton.. they all look like sharks with their dead eyes and it creeps me out. They always seem to have some kind of hidden agenda.

I know that is going to set off some of you but... that's my deal... and I'm sticking to it.

westcoastmama 9 years, 5 months ago

lol I don't think there is any thing we could do that wouldn't alienate and enrage everyone in that region... they are maniacs from another century... they won't be happy till we , meaning anyone that is not them, are all dead..... look at what went down in canada recently -- and everyone loves canada, right?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 5 months ago

I'm not "set-off," westcoastmomma-- just sad that there is still 30% of the country still clueless enough not to have figured out what clueless and dangerous wankers Bush and friends are. You're just one of them.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 5 months ago

"a dishonest, dishonorable, and left-wing opportunist"

That may or may not be true, but what isn't even debatable is that the only characteristic that doesn't describe Bush is the left-wing part.

westcoastmama 9 years, 5 months ago

see bozo, you say your not set off but you feel the need to call me clueless and look down on me. and that's ok... cuz really deep down... i think the same about the poor delusional people that don't agree with me... YEA USA... we all can say and think whatever we want!!!

westcoastmama 9 years, 5 months ago

Marion, what in the world does the way some one choose to pronouce there name have to do with anything???? did I miss something???? my family name was Chiri when they came from italy and my g'pa changed it for what ever reason... i still smell as sweet!!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years, 5 months ago

W.C. Momma:

I voted for Bush, once. I'm not saying that the Dems you mentioned don't/didn't have hidden agendas, but how can a Bush supporter fire THAT accusation at anyone? You don't think that Dick "20 Gauge" Cheney has hidden motives?

I never believed all that crap about how the Vietnam war was fought for the sake of rubber, and I don't believe that the Iraq war was fought for the sake of oil profits (not DIRECTLY so); but one thing is for sure: Bush and Cheney have their personal wealths (and social circles) wrapped up in oil-related ventures, and that's the one industry that has done the best as a result of recent events. I think this war was fought because the administration had a dream of introducing democracy smack-dab into the middle of the most Islamic/oil rich part of the world for the sake of bring long-term stability and political opportunities to the west. It seems (so far) that he has failed at that goal. BUT, when you consider, for example, what Clinton got out of Whitewater or from pardoning drug traffickers, and compare that to what Cheney will get out of this war, which of those men smells the dirtiest? I bet Cheney will DOUBLE his wealth during his time in the White House.

adavid 9 years, 5 months ago

the president, i feel, is entitled to as much head as he wants. clinton, you're the man! i bet bush would spend a little less time screwing this country if he'd spend more time screwing laura.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years, 5 months ago

H. Graile:

I totally agree. We TYPICALLY experience better relations with true democracies than we do with dictators or theocracies. But I think that even if Iraq stays fully muslim after democracy takes hold (knock on wood), they'll be better friends than Saddam was. But, no I wasn't implying that democracy is a vending machine. Consider Turkey. Turkey is, relatively speaking, very friendly toward the U.S. in spite of being very muslim. It's the one muslim country where American missionaries feel safe (sort of) because of the freedoms that exist in that country.

Truthfully, no president can avoid getting messy when the poop of blame hits the fan. Was it a mistake to help the Taliban defeat the invading Russians? There's no end to the "what ifs" and "he screwed ups". Should we be cleaning up the genocidal civil wars in Africa? What's the cost if we do? What's the cost if we don't? Damned if you do... damned if you don't. The batteries in the crystal ball have gone dead.

westcoastmama 9 years, 5 months ago

Scenebooster - "then enlist or send your kids."

What make you think I haven't enlisted. How do you know my husband didn't come home missing a leg from an IED? You don't. As for sending my kids. That is a ridiculous statement coming from an American.. thought so the first time Micheal Moore said it to a congressman, who incedentally, had a son in the military. People can't 'send' someone to war. Not even their own kids. you have to be 18 to go enlist and once my kid is 18 they can do what they want.

powershopper saw an interesting bumpersticker today. It said, "At least Bill's lies didn't cost lives."

I bet Vince Foster and his family would disagree. lot's of strange deaths in AK too if you like conspiricy websites... and I do....

till i see that the two lead people in charge of the LSD mind control experiments and killing at least one man in a coverup in the 1960's was....

westcoastmama 9 years, 5 months ago

Opps sorry Arkansas.... bad mama..... supposedly some State troopers and guys that helped him get girls back at home.

westcoastmama 9 years, 5 months ago

don't you want to know about the LSD cover up??? it's juicy?

westcoastmama 9 years, 5 months ago

Nope!!!swbsow.... and it pains my bush loving fingers to type this.... cheney and rumsfeld....

westcoastmama 9 years, 5 months ago

oh my... by bush loving fingers i mean the G.W. Bush kind not the... well know...

drewdun 9 years, 5 months ago

"don't you want to know about the LSD cover up??? it's juicy?"

No. You are a fringe lunatic.

" bet Vince Foster and his family would disagree. lot's of strange deaths in AK too if you like conspiricy websites... and I do...."

You want to get far into conspiracy land? How about the KNOWN fact that the Bush family - Prescott Bush - through Brown Brothers Harriman traded with the Nazis WHILE WE WERE AT WAR WITH THEM.

westcoast: I know it is easy to just turn your back on secret prisons, indefinite detentions, extraordinary rendition, illegal war, no-bid contracts for the politically connected, etc and try to shift the focus to Clinton (as all of the wingnuts on here do) but that dog won't hunt anymore. Its your boy and 'team' in power, have been for over five years, and there have been more deaths caused by the stroke of W's pen than all of the 'victims' of your psycho Clinton conspiracy theories put together. Go away, now.

drewdun 9 years, 5 months ago

Oh yeah, almost forgot - FLIGHT SUIT!

drewdun 9 years, 5 months ago

"For one, the military could not accommodate everyone who supports the war." - Arminius

God, you really are pathetic, now aren't you?

"And second, it is unlikely that these same moonbats serve during the Clinton administration. Clinton deployed our military more than 40 times. If these moonbats did not oppose all of those deployments, then why didn't they enlist during the 1990s? They're being hypocrites when they ask you why you haven't enlisted." - wingnut

Fair enough, but I don't recall us 'moonbats' wrapping ourselves in the flag and hyper-nationalism like you wingnuts did, and I don't ever remember saying that you were un-American and un-patriotic for not supporting Clinton's actions, and that because you were 'conservatives' and Republicans you were anti-military and pro-terrorist, the same accusations that have been lodged at us repeatedly by liars like yourself. Also, I don't recall Clinton leading us into a never-ending 'World War III' (w's own words) that was a clash of good vs. evil, which is what you nuts pimp on here everyday.

drewdun 9 years, 5 months ago

God, what is it with the right wing lunatics' obsession with Slick Willy? YOUR TEAM HAS PRESIDED OVER THE DISASTERS, WITH W AS SKIPPER. ACCEPT THIS AND MOVE ON.

drewdun 9 years, 5 months ago

"I guess you forgot how the Clinton folks characterized Aristide as another George Washington" - Arminius

what does that have to do with what i said earlier? Changing subjects is an artform with liars like yourself.

westcoastmama 9 years, 5 months ago

drewdun, scenebuster you all crack me up!!

see the deal for me is yes i think democracy is the bomb!! I believe in my tiny black heart that every one should have the opportunity to live free.

i don't care if the religion is millions of years old, they treat women and children worse than dirt. I don't think we should just let people blow up anyone that doesn't bow to the mecca 5 times a day. I don't think women are property. I think kids should go to school and learn something besides "America is satan.' I can certainly understand why they are fighting so hard to keep freedom out...they are demented freaks who don't want to face change.

Drewdun, your dismissive attitude makes me think you would probably like your woman in a burka and your kids tied to a stake in the yard... tough titty doll, this is America, we gals don't kowtow to your will and just go way because the great and powerful dun speaks. if you don't like it, hop a plane to iran... they'll love you over there

2500 is not even close to the number of innocent people our enemies kill every year. So, i am down on my knees gratefull for every single one of those people who gave their life so I and my children can live like we do.

I don't have illusions that any one in politics is clean, life is a dirty business, and they have the responsibility of a lot of lives on their shoulders. but I'd rather have a stand up cowboy than a waffle in my corner.

Now drewdun... you may leave!

westcoastmama 9 years, 5 months ago

Oh and drewdun... how come if I turn my back on the things you listed i'm crazy but when you turn your back on those same things when our enemy does them and you are brilliant????

cowboy 9 years, 5 months ago

republicans are flipping out , hahahahahahahahahaha!

ForThePeople 9 years, 5 months ago go swbsow....their gettin' pretty flustered...prolly need to take a gin and tonic break!

cowboy 9 years, 5 months ago

whats the difference between a porcupine and a republican in a lexus ?

cowboy 9 years, 5 months ago

no , on the porcupine the pricks are on the outside

hottruckinmama 9 years, 5 months ago

cowboy.. your post of 7:20 this morning is the best post i have ever read! every word of it was the truth!

ForThePeople 9 years, 5 months ago agreement with htm on the 7:20 post. BTW, RT...why in the world do you have a Dem. X?

hottruckinmama 9 years, 5 months ago

ftp probably divorced her when found out she was a dem. just a hunch.

paladin 9 years, 5 months ago

Marion-Take er easy, you've done atoned enough. The guilt thing is a bear, ain't it. rt- Shame on you! You know better.

hottruckinmama 9 years, 5 months ago

i bet all those jane doe's are really disappointed too.

paladin 9 years, 5 months ago

Maybe Ann married herself. Ann, you the Man.

cowboy 9 years, 5 months ago

get back in your boat , dont be too quick to post the mission accomplished banner , glad hes dead but this bunch of ragheads have a long way to go and our troops are pretty stressed out , nearly 2600 treasures of our country have come home dead , they won't get to ride in a boat , drive a lexus , or have a highball , what service did you serve in RT , the serve myself corp ?

cowboy 9 years, 5 months ago

So you have much in common with the administration and right wingnut media who spout the same bogus macho talk but never have served. Point made

westcoastmama 9 years, 5 months ago

Woo Hoo I for one am having a huge party today. Right thinker -- care to join me for a double grey goose on the rocks!!!! One more bad guy down.....

and I am wondering about all you socalled 'Liberals" doggin miss Annie about being a man... so... you think that is wrong???I thought democrats LIKED the alternative types???? Oh that's right only if they march along in lock step with you all!!!!

westcoastmama 9 years, 5 months ago

Maybe the little yellow dog was hiding? Maybe his body is obliterated? Maybe his skull is gone and they draped his face over a rock to make it look ok. Have you had a lot of experience with 500 lb bombs and their effects here in KS? Or do you base most of your assumptions on movies?

what makes you think anyone has lost interest in bin laden?

what is the deal with using a persons full real name here?

westcoastmama 9 years, 5 months ago

Holygrail, seen the video, and your point is? still say, Z could have been in a spider hole. or he could have been killed somewhere else, yep just admitted our goverment might not be all that forthcoming with the truth.

See we are in a war. that means sometimes we have to NOT spill our guts so that we can defete the enemy. it's not like little league t-ball where we want to be fair to every one.

which, if you have even a little bit of an open mind, could explain the Bush Quotes you posted. COULD it have been a tactic to dismiss and disrespect Bin Ladin and make him pi$$ed of enough to make a mistake?? mmmm

Or, Would you have liked it better if he'd a said, "OH jesus Christ, I am terrified of Osama, why I think of him every waking moment, can't eat, can't sleep. why he's the most powerfull man on the planet now. every body get some duct tape and hide."? Yeah that would have been a perfect way to hand over more power to the tall one.

westcoastmama 9 years, 5 months ago

he's a rich republican remember! Bush just sends a check every couple of weeks.

westcoastmama 9 years, 5 months ago

Bin Ladin has a really big family, those people make Catholics look like a bunch of zero population folks. just cuz Bush is friends with some of them don't mean those are the ones that have OBL over for dinner every sunday.

the dude is tall so we should round up all the tall people we see over there and have the ACLU accuse us of genetic profiling. you don't KNOW that needs dialysis but... he has lots of $$$ and lots of scummy rat friends that will help him get what he needs if he does don't ya think? I think the places where he's hiding... well I've never been there but I can see from my globe that it's big and barren and has lots of holes for snakey people like him to hide.

I'm sure if he was strolling down Mass St. he'd be easy to pick out but... get real. Bush isn' protecting him so he can give Cheney good deals for Haliburton.

the problem is you see things thru a completely different glass than the people in charge. The reality is none of know the reality and truth is all relative.

westcoastmama 9 years, 5 months ago

lol OMG John Kerry IS a liar... did you ever listen to him? a liar and a hypocrite and a law breaker... he lives in a state with the strictest gun laws in the country. No one ELSE can own a gun -- but he can. Condems Benidict Arnold companies moving thier work force over seas, except for his wifes dead (republican) husbands ketchup company.. that's ok. Please don't get me going on Kerry. He is the devil.

I never heard that John McCain had a love child anywhere, but I did hear that the liberals who like every other gay person in the world sure came down hard on cheney for getting a lesbian daughter.

I quit -- we see the same things and get different views. one of us is right and one of us is.. you.

westcoastmama 9 years, 5 months ago

Who is working to get me health coverage???

I thought the person who was working for my health coverage was the person i see in the mirror every day and the one who's name is on my paycheck.

i don't remember calling anyone the thing...see how confused you can get?

westcoastmama 9 years, 5 months ago

He broke several laws in Mass. as a senator in order to pass Gay Marriage legislation.

Before you freak out. I am FOR Gay unions. I think the Government should stay out of that completely

ForThePeople 9 years, 5 months ago

I can't believe y'all are still at this....give up Arminius...lay down your 'arms' and walk away...better yet run as fast as you can! They got ya beat...and are really making you look bad in more ways than you can even imagine!

ForThePeople 9 years, 5 months ago

Frankly they both are just different sides of the same coin at this point!!! Heads or tails...neither one is entirely good or bad...but the debate here has most definately been some good reading!

ForThePeople 9 years, 5 months ago

swbsow....I can hardly type...laughing so hard...that explains the!

Terry Jacobsen 9 years, 5 months ago

"Even if you approve of the actions, you can't deny that BushCo initiated both of those wars"- Just another bozo on the bus.

Congress authorized both of these wars. I haven't forgotten it, even if you have.