Archive for Saturday, June 3, 2006

Lack of respect

June 3, 2006

To the editor:

In Mr. Boyd's letter and almost every other pro-SLT on 32nd Street letter, there's something missing - respect. Respect for other cultures. We are not your scientific guinea pigs to study and exploit. The lands where our ancestors were taken to boarding schools to have the Indian taken out of them are not your highways. Nor will they become your highways. Their resting places will not become your highways.

There is an insatiable desire to deny a history that non-Native people don't want to deal with. People like me who do research to discover the law Baker University broke to acquire the wetlands area will continue to remind the larger culture of history that they cannot rewrite to cleanse their sins of omission.

Haskell Manual Labor Institute and countless other boarding schools were started to remove us from our cultures, our families, our people in the 1880s and 1890s. Oral tradition lives in the face of mainstream denial, and so do Okla Api Homi. Okla Api Homi Holitopa micha anumpuli mat. (Translation: and so do Indian people. Bless Indian people and their speech.)

Mike Ford,

Bonner Springs

Comments

Kelly Powell 8 years, 6 months ago

Hey mister, after a culture has been here for a few hundred years THEY ARE THE NAITIVES.

happyone 8 years, 6 months ago

WOW!! Rednek you just proved his point.....either you are really stupid or very selfish either way its not good!!

fletch 8 years, 6 months ago

As I've said over and over again, if this highway was going through a traditional cemetary, most people would be up in arms. But because it's a Native American burial ground, few people even notice. Sad, really.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 6 months ago

was ther ever a search in areas of the wet lands for bones? I was thinking I remeberd reading something like that a while ago. Also I seem to remeber the wetlands were not burial grounds but more like, and sorry how this will sound, a dumping ground by who ever was in charge to hide how bad conditions were. And hide in genral . If haskell really wants this to go away they themselves will have to provide the physical not just verbal, evidence. And many of cemetarys have been moved and tore up and just lost. not only native american.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 6 months ago

like i said dumping ground and I know that sounds ugly how about mass grave? uck, But in order to prove there are people buried there they, haskell/baker, would have to drain the area and I do not see that happening. I know I have read that the area was migratory until the 1500s or so but how to prove other than verbal? I do not know.I do know If I thought I had a family member that had been hidden in the wetlands I would want them found so I could bring their spriit home.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 6 months ago

I said nothing about the wetlands....Build it or not, it does not really affect me or mine or lawrence in general.....What I did say is I get a little tired of being called a "non native" with all the implied scorn that goes with that......If I used the term "non white" you would be up in arms about that.....Black, white, yellow or brown if you are a citizen of this country and were born here you are "native"....Is it a matter of semantics, yes. Do the tribal nations have a valid grievance....HELL YES....But like any discussion here everybody goes for the absolute stance....no grey area, no giving one inch on any issue......It seems like a life and death struggle for any issue......usualy ending in a name calling match by the same 5 or 6 people....and none of it is real,everybody hides behind their alter ego waiting for somebody to say something that somehow may offend them...... sadly, i am guilty of this too....then they can voice their outrage and scorn upon any who dare have a opinion or feel something that they do not. So let's use the term native and non native.....the Serbs and Croatians are killing each other over a battle that happened 500 years ago....It's barbarous until it is in our backyard, then it is righteous indignation....hypocrites.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 6 months ago

rednek, what would you say if I declared your title to your land too ancient to be valid, and forced you off of your property at gunpoint?

Kelly Powell 8 years, 6 months ago

Are you asking if I would use every legal means to try to get as much for my people as possible the answer is yes.....If you are asking if i understand (or at least empathize) the anger and resentment that this would bring, again the answer would be yes. If you are saying that I must allow people to tell me how corrupt and evil i and my ancestors are and not feel a little anger myself, i must disappoint you and say no. I could go into all of the reasons why , but it would take to long and not solve anything.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 6 months ago

"I could go into all of the reasons why , but it would take to long and not solve anything."

And besides, it would reveal the hypocrisy of your support for the final and irrevocable theft of the Haskell wetlands for the sake of your convenience.

But it'd be equally convenient for me if you'd just move out of your house so I could move in.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 6 months ago

Let's get some things straight here....I am not jumping on either bandwagon of this whole stinking mess....Why? Because i know deep down in my guts that the wetlands will be drained within twenty years....So all this conjecture is a moot point and waste of time....If haskell can get some fair recompense I am completley fine with it....If the activists manage to stall any construction for years and years,cool with me.....If they break ground tomorrow and build it.....I will drive on it. what is your ancestry bozo? I ask, because if you are from european or african stock....hell, any ancestry other than the original indigenous people, not only would you not be moving into my house....by your logic you should of already voluntarily given up your house.....Or do you think you are exempt from that?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 6 months ago

I'm of pure bozo, Heinz 57 stock-- including native american.

But even if I didn't have that native american ancestor, the wetlands should be returned to Haskell. There's no reason they need to be drained either.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 6 months ago

I have a Lakota friend, who when told by someone that they have a little Indian in them, responds, "Well, let em out!!"

Mike Blur 8 years, 6 months ago

Actually, the Buddha is correct in his original statement. Anyone born in the Western Hemisphere of planet Earth is a "native american." I think I know who the letter writer is, and if I'm right, he's a bit careful about labeling his people and non-Indians. Myself, I prefer the term Indian (derived from an Italian phrase meaning "with God") to describe myself, but I'll accept "Native American" as yes, I was born in the Western Hemisphere. I've heard pretty much every term used to describe "indigenious North American peoples" during my life, and they're all more or less acceptable except for a couple. When I joined the Army, my nickname was "Chief" for my first 3 duty stations, until I got my 4th and there was already a "Chief" there! Whew!

There is a website that mentions one of the terms I find unacceptable--usually used as a taunt by white schoolchildren to Indian schoolkids. A 13-year old white kid called my 9 year old nephew this phrase every day on the bus, until the day my 16 year old nephew rode with him. Needless to day, the 13-year old racist ate some pavement when the bus let out that day!

Third paragraph of the following link http://www.racismagainstindians.org/HeritageMonth/HeritageMonth.htm

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 6 months ago

children are cruel, they say things they have no idea of what it means but they do not reseve the insults to Indians they spread it to all evenly.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 6 months ago

but the lack of respect goes both ways, that is one of the biggest problems in the world.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 6 months ago