Archive for Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Army Guardsman reports vandalism, beating

July 25, 2006

Police are investigating an injured Kansas Army National Guardsman's reports that he has been the victim of a beating and repeated vandalism involving burned flags in recent days.

The 23-year-old soldier, Marion G. Coleman III, says he awoke Wednesday morning and found someone had "egged" his apartment at Cedarwood Apartments in the 2400 block of Ousdahl Road and had left four burned flags outside.

Three of the flags were small cloth flags on sticks, and the third was a larger flag that had been folded into a triangle, he said.

Coleman said he didn't report the incident to police until Friday because he wanted to check with the military first to see what he should do.

The next incident happened about 2 a.m. Sunday, he said, when he returned from a bar with his fiancee and some friends and found a brick wrapped in a burned flag had been thrown through the screen door of his apartment.

Around 10:15 p.m. Sunday, Coleman said, he went out to move his car in the parking lot of the complex and was jumped and beaten near his car by two men he doesn't know. One of the men was wielding a razor or a dull knife and cut him on the face and arms, he said.

Kansas Army National Guardsman Marion G. Coleman III says he was attacked Sunday evening in the parking lot of his Lawrence apartment complex. Before that, he said, he found burned American flags outside his apartment and a brick wrapped in a burned flag thrown through the screen door of his apartment. Coleman talked Monday at the Veterans of Foreign Wars hall.

Coleman said one of his tires also had been slashed. He went to Lawrence Memorial Hospital for treatment after police arrived and began collecting evidence.

Coleman said he didn't know anyone with a grudge against him or who might want him injured.

"To my knowledge, I don't think I've angered anyone. I've never had any threats. I've never had any rude gestures at me," he said. "Whatever their objective is, they're trying to break my spirit. They're trying to get me to stop, well, being a soldier, and it's not going to work. They're not going to keep me from being who I am."

LPD spokeswoman Kim Murphree said police have taken some of the burned flags into evidence and are investigating all of the incidents. Coleman said officers also took fingerprints from his car and from a chain link fence he said the men jumped as they ran away.

Coleman suffered a injury to a joint in a training exercise in California last year before his unit, the 2nd Battalion, 137th Infantry, went overseas to Iraq. He said he is on "medical hold" and is working 40 hours per week as an office assistant at Fort Leavenworth, but he declined to talk in detail about the injury or his unit.

A public affairs representative from the Guard said she wasn't aware of the case Monday but would look into it.

Comments

Steve Jacob 8 years, 4 months ago

My first thought was this was normal stuff around the 24th and Ousdahl area. And drinking at 2AM, but too injured to go to Iraq? But seriously, why take your anger out on this guy?

lunacydetector 8 years, 4 months ago

sounds like a hate crime to me. isn't there a city ordinance about hate crimes and if there is would it apply for someone in the military? phred phelps is a democrat but only protests at funerals, so it'd have to be one of our peace lovin' locals, probably a registered democrat too.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 4 months ago

Throwing crap through screen doors? The chances are these idiots have never voted in their lives.....more likeley it is a couple of tweekers who have a mad on for this guy.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 4 months ago

speed freak,crack head....somebody hooked on uppers......Known for obsessive compulsive actions.

ksmattfish 8 years, 4 months ago

"welcome to lawrence army dude. it's the quality of life that makes us special. we are multi-cultured and accepting unless you're in the military."

Don't forget how accepting some of the folks in our community were of University professors who believe in evolution.

Nikki May 8 years, 4 months ago

I really love blaming a poliltical party for this garbage. You don't have to like war. However, this is more then putting up a sign that says "another neighbor for peace". This is hate. I doubt they even know him, they just know his job. Not sure what they were trying to accomplish here though. I'm guessing it has nothing to do with political party. I am pretty sure I am registered democrat, I'd never do something like that.

Oh, and as for drinking, we don't know he was drinking. I go to bars and don't drink. However, that was NOT the point.

trinity 8 years, 4 months ago

yeahhhhh, go lawrence. ban this ban that beat up u.s. soldiers-but oh by golly, are we ever the politically correct libs!!!

this story just made me sick. i fully realize that not everyone in lawrence is this hypocritical, but man are the ones who ARE giving y'all a bad image.

Shardwurm 8 years, 4 months ago

No doubt these are the same guys who beat up the pro-evolution professor.

NotASquishHead 8 years, 4 months ago

I agree with Solomon. I completely support our troops as much or more than anyone in this city, but after watching the 6News video I don't buy this guys story.

If you watch the video, check out his arms, the injuries are just scratches. If he truly was in a fight he would have defenesive injuries on the bottom sides of his forearms and even by chance he would have some cuts that are much more serious.

Sad story either way (whether made up or actual story)

ljlook 8 years, 4 months ago

Posted by srj (anonymous) on July 25, 2006 at 3:58 a.m. (Suggest removal)

"And drinking at 2AM, but too injured to go to Iraq?"

Look buddy, there is a HUGE difference between being able to drink a beverage, and being able to run into a building searching for then enemy. Even paralyzed people can drink, but that doesn't make them fit for combat. Why don't you take your crap elsewhere, as I don't see YOU in Iraq.

armyguy 8 years, 4 months ago

My experience in Lawrence has been overwhelming supportive. Only once in 3 years has anybody said anything negative directly to me. My exceedingly liberal KU professors created a plan to let me finish my classes though I attended less that half of them. My house sat empty for most of a year with no problems. Most of the people I know don't like the war, they do however support those who go to it.

armyguy 8 years, 4 months ago

Looks like a lot of folks are jumping on the "too injured to go to Iraq" thing. There has to be a rear detachment so that things like pay, family support etc. get done. I am thankful that there were some rear det. folks driving by my house and checking in on things that I didn't have time to accomplish.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 8 years, 4 months ago

I think this guy "pulled a Mirecki" (an incident in which a person stages an attack in order to gain publicity). Like Mirecki's case, the "attackers" will never be found.

acg 8 years, 4 months ago

lunacydetector that's the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. I know a lot of liberals and democrats that live in Lawrence and whereas they may not support Dubya's war, they support and honor the troops and the hard job those guys have to go do. I haven't heard one anti-military peep from anyone in the three years this war has been going on (excluding those idiots covered in the tomato paste--but then who gives a crap what they have to say?) You conservatives and republicans need to stop thinking/saying that everyone that doesn't agree with your political view hates the military because that's just an outright lie!!

cutny 8 years, 4 months ago

sounds like the story line from last week's doonsebury

ljlook 8 years, 4 months ago

Listen, now there, ljlook!

it's hot out there in the sand and a beer or two might go a long way towards slaking the thirst developed while hunting down and killing terrs, not to mention taking a bit off the edge after the job is done!

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it!

Thanks.

Marion.

Posted by armyguy (anonymous) on July 25, 2006 at 8:08 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Learn to read folks. I was taking up for the soldier, saying just because he's drinking a beer, doesn't mean he's not too injured to fight. He's not barred from drinking because of an injury.

Read twice, post once.

Thanks

keeper70 8 years, 4 months ago

It never ceases to amaze me when people speak without thinking. Yes the injuries are just scratches. You should the the cuts in the shirt, tho. If you've ever had to defend yourself from a knife, you know to take the cuts to the top of the arms, not underneath. Less damage. How would you defend yourself laying on the ground with 2 guys putting the boots to you and slashing away? Thank God the cuts weren't deeper. What's the matter NotASquishHead (kinda ironic nick), do you need another apt complex fire with multiple fatalities to convince you? (brick with burning flag) Or maybe he just needed to be photographed at the morgue to satisfy you? You think he's the only Guardsman to be hassled in Lawrence in the last month? He never wanted the publicity and he wasn't the one to push for it. Believe what you want, it's way to hard to try to open a closed mind.

cutny 8 years, 4 months ago

Marion, don't you mean drink more, post profusely?

us_army_infantry_soldier 8 years, 4 months ago

I would just like to go on record that I was attacked outside my apartment. The Lawrence Police Deptartment are working hard at the investigation and I am glad to see that both LJWorld and channel6news respected my wishes as to not put my face all over the news. If I were just trying to get attention from the media I wouldn't have a problem doing so. I don't want fame or special attention. I wanted the community to know what happened to me and if there were any others who were going through this to let them know that they weren't alone and that they can come forward. I don't need to defend myself or the attack. And by the way, I wasn't attacked with a knife, it some sort of box cutter. Thats directly from the police. And I do have defesive wounds on my arms and hands.

Thanks for everyones response whether negative or possitive. I just want people to hear my story and Ive done just that.

Thanks LJworld and Channel6.

Marion.

acg 8 years, 4 months ago

Those are the idiots in tomato paste I was talking about conman, pay attention. And just because people don't support an unjust BS war doesn't make them anti-American. Are you really that stupid and close-minded? I'm so tired of hearing that same old crap from you. Do you know any other argument, or is this the same worn out rhetoric you're going to spout every day? If so, save it. Nobody wants to hear your crap anymore. You're a waste of skin and air. Shoo!

badger 8 years, 4 months ago

The symbolism of burning a triangular-fold flag disturbs me the most. Usually when someone wants to burn a flag, they spread it out so the colors show and it can be seen what they're doing (to make a statement). To burn it folded evokes (for me) visuals of family members being handed the folded flags at funerals.

There are a lot of possible explanations ranging from "He faked it" to "Stupid hippies" to "He upset someone in the military who's making a particular statement." In any case, I would hope that he takes appropriate precautions for his safety, and that those responsible for the attacks and injuries are caught.

Wilbur_Nether 8 years, 4 months ago

Look, the bottom line is this fellow has been harassed, threatened, assaulted, and battered. In no way is this normal, despite being in "the 24th & Ousdahl area." This is criminal behavior.

CanadianPassport 8 years, 4 months ago

I hope they declare the assailants enemy combatants and waterboard the sh!t out of them.

Wilbur_Nether 8 years, 4 months ago

CP, I doubt that vandalism, assault, and battery rises to the level of "enemy combatant." No, I think I'll stick to letting Mr. Branson prosecute on the basis of crimes against a citizen. Trial by jury. You know, "due process of law." You can find it in the Bill of Rights, specifically in the 5th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. "No person shall...be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law...."

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 4 months ago

I do not understand what the big deal about his injury is?? It is simple if you have an injury that does not let you perform 100% then you do not go. A war sone is not a place to be even at 95% so why do so many of you have a problem with that?

pisoup 8 years, 4 months ago

I would like to correct the record, but this soldier has NEVER been to Iraq. The media says he is home on leave with injuries he sustained in Iraq. He never made it that far. He was injured in training in the USA and was not allowed to go to Iraq for his shoulder injuries. If the media got it wrong that's one thing... If he's telling people that he is home with injuries that he got in Iraq... that's quite another. I don't know how this got screwed up but I feel the accurate reporting of news is as important as the sensational content.

He works for the military every day and wears a uniform like thousands of other Kansans do.... with little to no thanks from the general public.

I personally think this country needs a little itude adjustment when it comes to those who serve in the armed forces.

passionatelibra 8 years, 4 months ago

Is us_army_infantry_soldier claiming to be the guy or is that something Marion copied and pasted? I'm a little confused (nothing new).

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 4 months ago

pisoup it says he got a injury in training in calf. not in Iraq. I did not see anything that says he had been there just his unit was sent and do to injury he was on medical hold.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 4 months ago

I think it is the soldier in the article same name marion. Kinda scary ugh?

passionatelibra 8 years, 4 months ago

Then I am really confused. From the article I get the impression that the attacked soldier hasn't been to Iraq and was hurt in California during training. Yet, past postings by us_army_infantry_soldier specifically state he was writing from Iraq...

Anyway, if this attack truly happened (no opinion on that, I wasn't there) I hope they catch the guys and prosecute them to the fullest extent they can. If it's a sham, I hope they discover that and get this guy mental health help.

geekin_topekan 8 years, 4 months ago

The soldiers name is Marion. Not to be confused with "thanks,Marion" from this forum.

CanadianPassport 8 years, 4 months ago

I can't believe I'm reading these stupid, stupid comments.

hipper_than_hip 8 years, 4 months ago

Does anyone know when the Lawrence-based Guard unit is coming back from Iraq?

spammer89 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm not even going to start. But this really pisses me off I have lost 2 friends and have had several more go across the pond. I support the troops, maybe not the cause. Cannot blame someone for following orders.

keeper70 8 years, 4 months ago

He never claimed that he went to Iraq, just that he was being deployed to Iraq. He did suffer the injury in California as was told to the reporter at LJWorld. He did have surgery for the problem a month ago and is in therapy. He also told TV4 in KC that he never made it to Iraq. How do I know that the LJW reporter was told that he never went to Iraq? I am his father. I personally told the reporter (eric) at LJW what happened to him in CA and that he never made it outcountry. He felt like he was letting his mates down, because the DOCTORS would not let him leave the states. LJW said that he was in Iraq...NOT Marion. LJW needs to step up and take responsibility for their mistake in the article. Marion never wanted the publicity. He knew that he would have alot of negative comments and unbelievers. This wasn't for him, but for the other soldiers that are willing to lay their life on the line so every citizen can say what they think. These guys should be able to come home, take off their work clothes, and not have to worry about their property or safety from some lunies who doesn't like what they do for a job. He is not the only soldier who has had some problems in Lawrence. If he hadn't gone outside to check on his car, I'm sure he wouldn't have been attacked.......yet. He's no different than any other lawabiding citizen, except for his workclothes.

badger 8 years, 4 months ago

keeper70-

I don't think it's that people are questioning Marion's veracity with regard to his deployment.

I think it's that they're questioning 'us_army_infantry_soldier' in either his previous claims to be posting from Iraq or in his current claim to be the subject of this story.

As his father, perhaps you could clear up the following confusion:

Marion says on record several places that he has not been to Iraq. 'us_army_infantry_soldier' has claimed in the past to be posting from Iraq. 'us_army_infantry_soldier' claims to be Marion, your son.

One or more of those three things cannot possibly be so. So, as you've already confirmed that the first is true, can you shed any light on the second two statements?

CanadianPassport 8 years, 4 months ago

I love the liberals telling people to leave the country. Priceless irony.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 4 months ago

I think one of the posters claimed to be in iraq but also said he was 40 + yrs old maybe ljw let to posters have same name ??

keeper70 8 years, 4 months ago

You know, I owe my son a big apology! He never wanted to go public with this. I pushed him into it. I admit, I'm a concerned parent; heck, I'm a p***ed off parent. I thought that if we could get this out into the open, these soldiers at home could be more careful and watch their back. That maybe, whoever was doing this to my son would back off and stop. My business partner have fielded more calls from govt brass and law enforcement than I even knew existed. I guess someone is taking it seriously. I just never dreamed that this would subject him to such mean-spirited and hateful comments. Suposedly so many people in Lawrence supported our soldiers, just not the war. From the comments that I'm seeing here, just the opposite is true. I can't help what LJW said in their article, I know what they were told. To you people who have supported him, I say Thank you. To those who think that he is a liar, I say that you are entitled to your opinion. To my son, I say that I'm very sorry that your having to read these comments. I guess that I was wrong about the people of Lawrence and I apologize to you for that.

keeper70 8 years, 4 months ago

I have no idea whom "us_army_infantry_soldier" is or what they've posted. Nor do I care. I guess that I should have done what any "red-blooded American" father would have done. Get a gun and gone hunting instead of trying to go through the media. Learned my lesson!

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 4 months ago

powershopper did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? You just seem mean or cranky today

keeper70 8 years, 4 months ago

Well powershopper I am not us_army_infantry. I was in the Air Force never the army. If I said were my business is and the name, then people would just accuse me of trying to generate publicity for myself. Not going to happen. It is IT related and not located in Lawrence. I only get to come home on the weekends and I'm very sorry that I couldn't come home last weekend. Could I have protected my son and prevented it from happening? No! But as a parent, I feel that I would have been able to do something.

CanadianPassport 8 years, 4 months ago

Alanis, Don't be one of those people who tries to sound smart by playing Alex Trebek on the LJW message board. You sound really ridiculous. If you don't know what irony is I'm not going to explain it. Watch the Simpsons. Or Tales of Irony, with Jon Levitz. Nothing is as lame as the people who invent conspiracies and try to play Encyclopedia Brown and solve mysteries from news articles. Did Marion post that he was in Iraq? Yeah, um, if that was even him. And, is that his dad? WTF knows? This is a fantasy world where I'm a 6'7" Canadian/Vietnamese keytar player. We're not detectives, and no one cares about people's fake opinions on here. You could be a registered republican in Lawrence or a Maoist from Albania. I don't care and neither should anyone. They should eliminate these moronic, pointless boards.

badger 8 years, 4 months ago

CP -

If you believe so strongly in eliminating these 'moronic, pointless boards' then what does it say that you post on them? Are you 'moronic' or 'pointless'? Enquiring minds want to know.

I think people 'play Encyclopedia Brown' as you put it because the regular posters have community, within which they relate to each other. For example, if craigers starts posting Bible verses, I don't check his references because he's established that he is a Man What Knows His Jesus. If Fangorn starts talking about the military, he has established a level of credibility that allows me to take what he says at face value. If ms_canada tells us about Canadian politics, or I talk about witchcraft, we have established a community in which we have a certain degree of credibility on those matters.

'us_army_infantry_soldier' has previously used "I'm posting from Iraq," as a point for credibility on matters military. We had no reason to believe he was lying, so when he said that and then described things with regard to Iraq, his words were accorded a certain weight. Now, he claims to be a person on journalistic record as never having gone to Iraq. Either he was lying then, or is lying now, or is delusional and needs some help. I suppose I could instead assume that the Journal-World got its facts completely wrong and that 'keeper70' is lying, but if that were so I'd have expected 'soldier' to have pointed that out in his post.

Because this person may continue to be a part of this community, it's important to us that we 'Encyclopedia Brown' wanna-bes establish whether or not anything he says from this point forward will have any credibility at all. Right now, unless he clarifies, he'd probably be better off starting himself a new tag, because I'm pretty sure a lot of the regular posters will be taking anything he says with an industrial-sized grain of salt.

marion_coleman 8 years, 4 months ago

Wow.. this is really not what I expected. I knew that I would get bashed and stuff but seriously. us_army_infantry_soldier is just a friend off mine speaking for me because the soldier didn't want me to get on here and get wrapped up in this mess... Clearly that was a mistake. I turned to the media to get help. To stop what was happening at my home. I turned down several other papers and radio shows because that is going too far. I spoke my story and I will let the people of Lawrence make up their own minds. The police are investigating and I have the up most respect for them and I believe that they are doing what they can.

Marion Coleman

Fatty_McButterpants 8 years, 4 months ago

All the little "CSI" fans have come out of the woodwork on this one! "Ooooh, he doesn't have deep enough cuts for them to be from a knife", "Lord knows, if he had been attacked with a razor then he would have defensive wounds and bruises". Man, you're so knowledgeale from watching a tv show. You guys are pathetic.

Fatty_McButterpants 8 years, 4 months ago

One more thing - the LJWorld never said that he received his injuries in Iraq. The article clearly states that he received his injuries during training PRIOR to his unit's deployment to Iraq.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 4 months ago

ok people a crime is a crime so why do so many of you on here seem to be so anti soldier today? If this was just a person getting no help and wanting the attacks to stop would you all be so conspiracy oriented?

geekin_topekan 8 years, 4 months ago

oh jesus!! Now hes posting under a third name!!

Fatty_McButterpants 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm sorry "ram rod"...did you say something? I was too busy looking at all of your FANTASTIC contributions to the discussion...

FeRam9: you are quite the weaver of words. Don't ever let it be said that you do not know how to create a thoughtful, meaningful retort. Keep up the good work, slugger!

CanadianPassport 8 years, 4 months ago

If this is a community, it's a mostly anonymous community without any accountability or credibility. And I think we're really stretching the definition of community at this point (Not that I'm going to ask anyone to define that for me). I guess I'm just not "generation Y" enough to relate to this concept.

Of course I say MANY moronic and pointless things on this board. Like I said, that's what it's for. It's still pretty unintentionally hilarious. People take themselves way too seriously. And they have the hubris to assume they have unraveled some conspiracy because they picked apart a 200-word news blurb. That's delusional.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

OK, devils advocate...

marion_coleman states that us_army_infantry_soldier is speaking for him to protect him from these sometimes difficult to hear posts. But why in the world would he post in the first person ("I was attacked outside my apartment")? And then marion_coleman voids the so-called protection being offered by posting anyways? Either something is fishy here or someone isn't very tactically brilliant.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 4 months ago

powershopper you just do not seem yourself today is all just a little more jab than normal.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 4 months ago

vent just vent no need to head down the stress induced heart attack alley.

Charla Welch 8 years, 4 months ago

Time for my 2 cents, I guess.

My husband is an Army Reservist and has mentioned several times that when he stops at a store or gas station when in uniform, he gets stares and glares from people he's never seen before, apparently just for being in a military uniform. He has never been deployed anywhere. He has never fought in any war.

I do feel that there is a large portion of Lawrence citizens who do not support our troops.

I also feel that some people take comments on this site much to seriously, so I will leave you with a quote you've probably heard before (one of my husband's favorites).

"Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded"

craigers 8 years, 4 months ago

CanadianPassport 8 years, 4 months ago

Wow. That's so wrong. And yet so right.

Steve Jacob 8 years, 4 months ago

People are mad at the war, that's all. Our soldiers (I feel) are getting madder, looking at the crimes being commited in Iraq, that deaths do not stop. I mean 14K Iraqs killed this year ALREADY!

We are now seeing a war unfolding in Beirut that the US does not want to stop, and seeing the Taliban retake cities in Afghanistan.

So why take it out on our soldiers? But sorry, it has to be said again, what will his group in Iraq when they read he still not well enough to go to Iraq, but can go out to the bar until 2AM. What if your co-worker called in sick, and you had to do double work because they where out until 2AM and could not make it in?

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 4 months ago

now she said she was quoting some one else everyone come on give her a break. And I do not hear or see you saying anything about the first half of her post.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 4 months ago

srj they would say have one for me, so if someone called in because they were hung over guess what you have to deal. the soldiers are not doing double the work because he is not there.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 4 months ago

Aiko oh no please no anyone but her... wait no hilary or condalezza either ok anyone but them.

kujeeper 8 years, 4 months ago

srj- You should probably shut your mouth and turn off your computer. Why can Marion not socialize with his friends at a bar? Do you think he should just sit and home and be depressed that people are trying to beat him up? I am sure that if he could he would be in Iraq, with his unit, doing what he wants to do, and that is be a soldier. I will also bet that he is at Fort Leavenworth every day on time for his duty if not early, regardless of what he did the night before. They are not doing double duty, someone else took his place. Srj- you apparently have no compassion for a soldiers sacrifice of serving in the military, no knowledge of the military, and no common sense.

The people who attacked Marion are probably the same morons chaining themselves to recruitement office doors and causing disruption.

Marion- I hope you know that not all of Lawrence thinks poorly of what you do and are doing. The problem is that the liberals scream the loudest and have time to protest, while those who back you actually have a job they go to and do have time to protest. Good job and I hope you heal and can serve actively as you would like to.

Charla Welch 8 years, 4 months ago

"Posted by craigers (anonymous) on July 25, 2006 at 1:07 p.m. (Suggest removal)

char, I hate to tell you but that last quote just ruined for a lot of us ever taking comments from you seriously."

My point is made. How can you take anything people say on here seriously unless you know them as a person? For all you know, they're just saying it to get a reaction out of you and they most likely couldn't care any less what you think about the matter.

craigers 8 years, 4 months ago

We all come here to debate and hopefully at some point have a real conversation with people on topics that we care about. What happen to this man sucks, whether he was a soldier or not. People just need to grow up when it comes to having disagreements. Too many are ready to beat the tar out of somebody because they don't agree. Oh well, I guess there will always be jerks in this life one way or another.

keeper70 8 years, 4 months ago

Well powershopper, with a closed mind like yours, there is nothing I can say or do to convince you that we are not the same person writing twice. I guess that you are one of those people who see conspiracy in everything. Evidently, you have nothing better to do with your day so I refuse to let you provoke me. Do your best (worst), whatever. Have a nice day! :)

acg 8 years, 4 months ago

Char, that quote was awesome and don't let anyone give you a hard time about it. That reminds me of a great joke I have but the mood in the room doesn't seem to be able to handle it today. CP was dead on-- so wrong but so right!!

mztrendy 8 years, 4 months ago

if safety is such an issue, why would they give out this man's address? I mean, I know it isn't exact, but its the general vicinity.

Mike Blur 8 years, 4 months ago

I first read that "retarded" quote on the Internet some 11-12 years ago. It was funny until, oh about 1996 or so.

I myself did a bit of sleuthing on Spc. Coleman. It appears on his military.com page: http://unitpages.military.com/community/MemberProfile/Member_Profile.jsp?member_id=2795524 he's representing himself as serving in Iraq.

Spc. Marion J. Coleman III: I certainly hope what you're saying is 100 percent truthful. I am a veteran of the US Army (active duty during non-combat times) and my opinion is you're being dishonest. Too many things just don't add up. (Your friend in Iraq--"usarmyinfantryguy" is most likely far too busy to come to your defense on an internet forum.) You're playing the World and this story's reporter for fools.

govols 8 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, he has been honest all over the place on this one ... dating back to January. How were those Iraq sunsets?

Steve Jacob 8 years, 4 months ago

Oh yes, just today, Isreal kills maybe 4 UN workers AND Mr. Bush sends MORE troops to Iraq when a month ago said they might lower the troop count (before the mid-term elections).

And we get to see the newly elected prime minister of Iraq standing next the Bush at the White House today, who said earlier this month that supports Hezbollah over Isreal.

What a mess!

sweetpeagj 8 years, 4 months ago

I guess the only comment I have is if this really did happen then this doesn't say much for some of the people that live in Lawrence. I don't think that him being military was the only reason he got attacked. It seems that people have uncovered more than a fruad on this. How can he be here and in Iraq? Even when asked his "father" wouldn't clarify the different statements that have been made by his son. He just ignored all of the questions about that. I am sorry if this did happen but facts are pointing away from the honesty and integrity of this person. Being the age of the internet people can look up the validity of statements that have been made in the past to determine the truth of things. You don't have to have police training to be able to read posts that this person has made and then to have a story he submitted to the LJW state that he was never in Iraq just blows all truth of Iraq out of the water. How would you know what it was like to watch friends get hurt over there if you have never been because of an injury in training that prevented you from going?

marion_coleman 8 years, 4 months ago

ok yeah that profile is/was legit on military.com. I set that up when I first deployed to California. I haven't been on that since I left for Iraq. You guys are rediculous. I have totally forgot about my profile on Military.com and it is going to be changed so you guys will shut up. I don't care if you believe me or not that isn't my goal. I told my story and I have shown others, that may be having similar problems, that they can come forward without being further harrassed. I have yet to have a single person come up to me and say to my face that I faked it or that I am full of it yet there are several of you on here dedicated to doing it. Brave enough to say in on the internet but not in person. Thats the two-faced attitude that we(soldiers) face in Lawrence everyday, so it shouldn't be a surprise to find it here. Releasing my full name and my address was something I told LJWorld not to do but they did anyways. On the other news reports, my wishes were respected. I don't want special attention or 15mins of fame, had I wanted that I wouldn't have had the media block my face or I would be releasing more interviews. Spend all day trying to discredit something that endangered myself and could have caused harm to my fiance, thats fine. Go for it. You are just making a fool of yourself. All that matters is that the National Guard is aware of this and they are behind me along with many citizens of Lawrence. As I said in the paper, they will not keep me from being a soldier. That includes people who spend all day trying to prove it didn't happen. I know there will be people that don't believe me and there are those who will. You are all entitled to your opinions and that is what makes this country so great. I will put on this uniform like I do everyother day and I will go to work and do the very best that I can untill I can either make it over to my men or untill they come back home. I am a soldier and I am a human being and what happened to me should not have happened to me regardless if I Have ever been to Iraq or not. I have the support of my friends, family, my Unit both Active and National Guard, the Lawrence Police Department, and countless others in the city of Lawrence. To all of you I am thankful for your comments and I hope that this is wrapped up soon so all of us may continue with our lives.

dthroat 8 years, 4 months ago

Marion-Coleman I am confused with reading your last post. "I set that up when I first deployed to California. I haven't been on there since I LEFT FOR IRAQ." Now, I haven't researched this like others, but from what I gather you NEVER left for Iraq. Can you not even keep your explanations straight????

Trust me, I have ALL the respect for the military (been there done my time Nam era) but something does not sound right in all of this. Guess I will wait to see where the investigation goes, but maybe you shouldn't be so "righteous".

Just a thought. Good night and good luck.

marion_coleman 8 years, 4 months ago

Seriously is it that hard to read what I said? Ok... I left my home for Operation Iraqi Freedom. I LEFT with the intent to go to Iraq.. therefore I am saying I left for Iraq. That statment doesn't say that I made it to Iraq. I thought that I had already made it clear that I wasnt there.

I am sorry that you think I should just sit back and let this keep comming to me and possibly others. Its not being "righteous," I am letting people know that these actions taken against me and possibly others will not stand. I am sorry if it seems this way to you but I can not stand by and say nothing and watch this possibly happen to another person, military or not. You and others may not agree or believe me but you saw the story. Thats all that matters.

This is the last post that I will make on here as I understand that my words are being projected to deaf ears and made up minds. I have done all that I can to tell my story without too much discredit to my Unit, Kansas National Guard, U.S. Army, the state of Kansas, the Lawrence Police Department, and the City of Lawrence.
I am thankful for the support of so many and the non-support from others has opened my eyes, so I thank you guys as well.

Good-night everyone and sleep well.

M.G.

Mike Blur 8 years, 4 months ago

Marion Coleman:

Let this be a lesson learned, and for the future, take heed the wise words of Yogi Berra: "If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything."

You are utterly nauseating, and a disgrace to the uniform. I hope you shut up and go away now, before you give a further bad name to all servicemembers. I hope the LPD bills you for time wasted investigating your "case."

(Side note to LJW reporters--google your story subject if anything is amiss. Saves you an eggface.)

keeper70 8 years, 4 months ago

Hey Observer, you talk mighty big to be anonymous. you ever been in the service. Done anything for someone but yourself? Why don't you come get in my face? I see the same old people bashing this in here. Grow up and get a life for yourself. Maybe get laid? Or maybe you're one of the perps trying to discredit him so the police stiop looking for you....hmmmmmm

badger 8 years, 4 months ago

Now, keeper, that's just ludicrous.

If observer were one of the 'perps' that would be an amazing coincidence, as observer's been posting here for months.

Here's the thing. If the poster claiming to be marion coleman (this time) is really marion coleman, he should know that he's probably not doing much good to his case or his cause (raising awareness to combat anti-military prejudice) with what he's saying here. Arrogance, anger, and petulant sulking really don't befit a soldier. Sit tight, shut up, let the police do their thing, and stop p*g in your own canteen.

If the poster claiming to be marion coleman, the poster claiming to be his 'buddy' and the poster claiming to be his father aren't who they say they are, then bugger off, OK? Crime, when it happens, happens to real people and it's not just fodder for amusing yourself by making multiple secret identities to get all socially onanistic with drama on the internet.

Coleman's injuries, his statements to the cops, whether he was or was not really harassed, that's not particularly the province of posters on an internet forum to establish. We don't need to be in the business of establishing the veracity of police reports, folks. What people say here matters, but only in the context of the fact that they say it here. If 'marion_coleman', 'us_army_infantry_soldier' and 'keeper70' are feeding us lies, that concerns us because it's someone's interaction with us, so it is worth it to explore the veracity of what people say here. If Marion Coleman lied to the police, that needs to be between him and the police, and attempting to establish the veracity of someone's defensive injuries via a news reports and some sketchy photographs makes about as much sense as a US legislator diagnosing Terri Schiavo's electrical brain activity from watching a two-minute video of her.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 4 months ago

Hate to get all csi here.....I've worked plenty of jobs where I used a box knife.....and have 5 or 6 scars on my legs where I was careless and slashed myself... each and everyone of them opened the skin wider then the cat scratches on this guys arms....So I believe a razor blade is out of the question....a serrated butter knife? A screwdriver maybe......Still seems like there would be impact tearing on a few of the cuts.....And yes I have been cut with a knife by someone else....I have an ugly 4 inch scar on my fore arm.....It looks kinda like a a big 1.

pisoup 8 years, 4 months ago

I think it's time to bring out a couple other facts in this case...

The KC Fox station is the news station that reported he went to Iraq and was home from his injuries. The LJ World talked about his training injuries. How did this large leap occur?

1. Coleman was at the bar recently bragging to two civilians that his truck flipped over in Iraq... he was overheard and confronted by two Iowa guardsmen.. you two from Iowa know who you are!

NOT TRUE... He never went to Iraq, and I'd doubt he's ever been out of the states. I guess a peek at his DD 214 will reveal the answer to that.

1. Coleman was seen once wearing a right shoulder combat patch from the 18th Airborne Corps... again to those who are familiar with the Army uniform, that patch is worn and awarded to those who have served in a combat zone. If you wear that patch, it's an at a glance recognition to others in the military that you served overseas... esp with a unit that has such prestige as the 18 Airborne Corps.

I dont know about the attack on this soldier.. I would have to assume it was accurate, but when somebody is lonely enough to tell people he sustained injuries in Iraq when he did not go there, it questions his crediability.

I think the issue is done with on my part at least. I just think Marion Coleman should come clean. If the two Iowa guardsmen would chime in, that might make him re-think what he tells people in the future.

MG... sometimes people see and hear more than you think we did

V/R PS

Linda Endicott 8 years, 4 months ago

I have a problem with someone claiming on other sites that he was in Iraq, saw carnage there, was wounded there, talked about the sunsets there, and now saying to LJW that he has never been to Iraq. Probably, of course, because he knows that if anyone ever looked up his official military record, they would find that he HADN'T been to Iraq. Might as well come clean when you know you're going to be in the newspaper, huh?

I don't know about the attack. But when you find that someone has lied about one thing, it makes it very difficult to believe them where other things are concerned.

keeper70 8 years, 4 months ago

Observer... is that the best you can do. Poor baby...... I have been in the service. All you want to do is knock people down. Be constructive or be gone!

keeper70 8 years, 4 months ago

You know, I should have taken my own advise. Ignore the people who don't know you and are trying to advance their own agenda. As a parent, I lose my cool when people who don't know my son are trying to tear him down. I can't change the minds of people who don't want to listen. The people who know my son, know better. I just wanted the people who attacked him to leave him alone. Same as any other parent. You want to disbelieve, so be it. You want to attack my son's character, so be it. Your opinion doesn't change the facts. If I have offended anyone by losing my temper, then I apologize. To the veterans who have been in service, you have my respect no matter what your opinion is. Of all people, you guys should no better than to believe everything you read in the media. Especially after Vietnam. I'm glad that you made it back safe. Have a good life, no more posts from me.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 4 months ago

lets the police handle it one way or another the truth will come out.

Godot 8 years, 4 months ago

JW, suggest you remove Observer's post of 9:28. Not good form to alllow/condone a threat of physical violence on your forum.

badger 8 years, 4 months ago

That's what the 'Suggest Removal' button is for, Godot.

Generally, it gets faster results than a request removal post, because they don't actually monitor the boards here very much.

Looks like the button got pushed, as the post is gone. Unless, of course, in addition to pushing the 'suggest removal' button, you just wanted to make sure we all knew how opposed you were to what observer said. Too bad it's gone, so nice we have your handy assertion of what it said, there.

misspeachy 8 years, 4 months ago

I am not shocked regarding the comments that have been written in this blog because it goes about the same way in every one I ever read.

I can tell you that keeper70 and Marion Coleman are two different people. I waited until today to read all of this so I would not get upset but tonight I felt the need to defend both my husband and my son.

1. My son NEVER stated that he suffered and injuries in Iraq,nor that he had ever went there.

2. His apartment door WAS egged and flags were burnt at his doorstep.

3. A buring flag wrapped around a brick WAS thrown at his window, luckly for everyone in the apartment building the idiot that threw it didn't put enough force behind it because it broke the screen when it hit the metal part of the window and did not make it inside.

4. His car WAS damaged.

5. He DID have injuries resulting from a box cutter that anyone who has ever used one knows they can be set at certain length so therefore his cuts weren't deep more of a scratch than anything else. During a struggle it would be easy for the blade to slide about we are lucky that the blade was not sticking out any further than it was.

NO ONE should have to suffer eggs, burnt flags, property distruction, or being jumped from behind in this country. I don't care who they are or what they do for a living.

My son very much wanted to go with his unit and did not get to go. (I for one was actually relieved when he received the injury keeping him from going over to Iraq, what mother wouldn't be?)

I went to the hospital with my son the night it happened and I saw the marks on his arms, face, back and was shocked that people do this sort of thing to other human beings.

You will all believe what you want to and others will hide behind an alias and give information as though they know first hand when they don't. I do know that one poster in particular is a Sargent at the Armory in Lawrence and he himself didn't go to Iraq and seems to enjoy stirring the pot. Feeling slighlty guilty about the way you got out of going over to Iraq maybe? If ever this person would like to sit down and meet with the parents of someone that joined the guard to make a difference in our country I would be pleased to do so. In fact why don't you email me or I could come by and visit you one day at work to discuss why you feel the need to state falsehoods on-line regarding one of your own soilders. Better yet look up his parents in his file you keep referring to and come on over with your comanding officer so we have our discussion documented. You seem to enjoy referencing to his file enough so use it fo something worthwhile. Is this how the entire guard works? I told my son he would be better off in another division of the service when he joined your branch.

I'm going to leave it at that I have stated my peace, violence of any kind is not acceptable anytime, anywhere....

Kelly Powell 8 years, 4 months ago

Not trying to be too sarcastic....BUT....maybe you should rethink that last line,seeing that your son is in the millitary. So it is official that it was a box cutter? The article was vague about that......But if the blade slid,would not it of slid all the way back? This is just conjecture on my part that is why I was throwing out alternatives to the box cutter theory.

kirbster 8 years, 4 months ago

For those of you focusing on his injury keeping him from Iraq, you probably have no knowledge of military service, and if you do, it's probably outdated. In no way should a person who is injured be deployed- other members of his squad would have to pick up the slack for tasks he could not perform- if he were to re-injure himself, it would put his life in danger, and he would be sent back home anyway. My husband is 100% healthy, but is still exhausted at the end of shift, after standing in full battle rattle with a machine gun for often 12 hours a day.
My husband was the soldier who injured Marion during some hand to hand combat exercises in California, and he felt terrible about it because he knew how badly Marion wanted to serve with the unit. I reminded him that things happen for a reason, and that he may have saved Marion's life- this is why it disturbs me so much to see that Marion is being disrespected by the very members of the community that he has sworn to give his life for if called on to do so. Marion has been held back for medical reasons- this is not a dishonest, or controllable issue. Marion has a strong desire to serve, and does what he can to support his unit. I know from personal experience that he is proud of his unit, always signing emails with the units' information and location, and that he would give anything to be there with them. It is very hard to have to stay behind, these boys are like family- they train together, live together, and work together when in the field- and to not be able to do his part of the job, is a very hard thing to deal with. I respect Marion for doing what he can for the unit, and for trying to get the word out to those of us that need to hear about these attacks. Thank you, Marion.

Laura 8 years, 4 months ago

Wow. I've been following this for the last couple of days and I have to say this is bizarre at best. Whether Marion and his family are really Marion and his family is beside the point now. It's embarrassing either way!

kirbster 8 years, 4 months ago

And where did you receive your degree in forensics powershopper? CBS on a Thursday night... Yeah, I watch CSI religiously, but that doesn't make me apt to do a forensic analysis of photographs taken by the LJWorld.

badger 8 years, 4 months ago

powershopper -

Why would it be so hard to just back off the PrimeTime Forensics act and let the cops handle it?

I imagine they've got a little more formal training on recognizing and categorizing defensive injuries, a little more information on the situation, a little better look at Coleman's injuries, and a little more discretion with regard to accusing someone of a filing a false police report.

If the injuries are faked so inexpertly that you can tell from a picture and years of tossing hay bales that they're not real, I'm sure that there is likely to be someone on the LPD whose parents also have a barn, or who maybe has some experience with a lumberyard. I bet that if it's so very fake that you can make your statements with absolute surety, it won't fool the cops either.

It's a crime to file a false police report. If there's reason to believe this person did so, then let the cops investigate that crime instead of just declaring someone 'guilty' from incomplete pictures of three-day-old injuries posted on the Internet.

Citizen 8 years, 4 months ago

i am sick of the lies, drama, and high taxes in this town. im moving the hell out of here

badger 8 years, 4 months ago

powershopper -

snerk

Do you have sassy CSI sunglasses and string models, too? I always like the string models.

I can't help badgering. It's my nature. If I were a woodchuck I'd be woodchucking people. Birds gotta fly, fish gotta dance, badgers gotta badgerer.

Marginally on topic: I find I cannot help the fact that every time someone posts here claiming to have special inside knowledge and be related to or friends with the subject of this article, my eyes they roll and they roll like the wheels on the bus...

kirbster 8 years, 4 months ago

You all must really enjoy gossip and drama. However fun it is to read the fictional thoughts that spew from your wee minds, this is my last post. I don't feel it necessary to obsess over an article over two days old just to argue with people I don't even know. Use your super CSI skills to read my postings and analyze the word usage so that you may realize that I am a country girl from Montana and a graduate student at KU. I hate Lawrence for the very reason that the people are incredibly rude, as you can see in many of the above postings. However, humorous at times the things that you all can think up, I believe I am done here... It's been fun, now get a life.

ionstormer2002 8 years, 4 months ago

WOW! Im amazed at how stupid some people can be, when they think that they know everything when it comes to "THEY THINK" that its all fake. But if you really know Mr.Coleman than you would know that everything is true. I was there not a week before it happend. I got called right after it happened. Keeper70, Marion_Coleman, Misspeachy I miss all you you guys and hopefully soon I will come and see you. Back on task. If any of you really know him, his dad, and or his mom than you can say without a doubt that is it fake or real. I know it was real. I don't have to read the article or see the pictures or see the posts on other sights, I've known him for 14yrs. And yah know what? Iam honored to know him, his family, and his unit.