Archive for Friday, July 14, 2006

Not boring

July 14, 2006

To the editor:

When I hear people complain about soccer being boring, I remember the time my parents went to a Royals-Cardinals game in St. Louis with Buddy and Eileen Hanna. They got into traffic and arrived at the stadium in the bottom of the fourth. Eileen was a little upset about being late until she looked at the scoreboard and saw the game was tied at zero apiece. She said, "Oh, good! We haven't missed anything!"

Eileen may not have missed anything, but a true baseball fan would have missed pitching, hitting, base-running, strikeouts, balks, fielding, anger, happiness, bad calls, errors, broken bats and a lot of other things.

True soccer fans see lots of things in scoreless games, too. Footwork, bad long and short passes, good and bad long passes, pocket picking, offsides that were, offsides that were not, good and bad goal keeping, stupid plays, good-looking women, athleticism, bad calls, and even head blows to the solar plexus.

Soccer is not boring.

Ben H. Barteldes,

Lawrence

Comments

Kelly Powell 8 years, 3 months ago

Her is how you spice up soccer.....after a certain grace period a explosive device is armed within the ball.....for every minute there is no score there becomes a greater chance that the ball will explode.....Or give them clubs....they got to do something with their hands.

BrianR 8 years, 3 months ago

Ben H. Barteldes, you are absolutely correct!

opinion 8 years, 3 months ago

I really have tried to find soccer interesting but I just can't! Part of it is that, I believe that, with no score, a soccer match is just one long play. At the start of the match, both teams are just trying to score. If 90 minutes later, there is no score, the strategy remains the same.

In baseball, football, and basketball, scores change the dynamics of the game immediately. Strategies change (teams go into a more offensive or defensive mode based on scores) and the game takes on a new face. That's exciting!

Brian Dick 8 years, 3 months ago

I'm guessing Buddy was driving to that game. He's probably the same guy that drives 45 in a 65. Silly Buddy!

And yes Eileen you did miss some of the game, i.e. stupid plays, good-looking women, athleticism, bad calls, and even head blows to the solar plexus.

Ken Miller 8 years, 3 months ago

In order for professional soccer to become popular in the U.S., there needs to be a television contract. In order to get a tv contract, you need to entice advertisers. In order to entice advertisers, you need to give them quantifiable advertising opportunities.

There are no TV timeouts in soccer except for halftime, and before any OT periods.

I don't think McDonalds or Coke would be satisfied with little on-screen logo graphics next to the score.

If some marketing wizard can come up with a way to excite sponsors, THEN you will see soccer on Sunday afternoons.

BrianR 8 years, 3 months ago

I have better access to European footy and am more familiar with their clubs and players than I am with the MLS. I've also been motivated to see more European clubs play live than I have US clubs although I enjoy watching the Wizards play and will get season tickets if the Wizards move to JOCO.

Oscar makes an excellent point, is somebody working on that?

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 3 months ago

now be fair to soccer, most people here in the U.S> do not like to watch because they do not understand the game. Just like any other sport the more you understand the more you enjoy the less you know the less you like. But hey if it gets kids off the buttys and get them moveing we should be all for it and most american players play because they like it not the money so hey.

BrianR 8 years, 3 months ago

"...the concept of kicking a ball into a net. "

You can't possibly believe that. But of course, you're just being your happy go lucky self.