Archive for Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Disappointed fan

July 11, 2006

To the editor:

Ever since the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004, we have had a large banner celebrating the once-in-a-lifetime event hanging on the front of our house on Michigan Street. You may have seen it.

Well, recently some misguided Yankees fan decided to come onto our private property and vandalize the sign by spray-painting it with Yankees graffiti.

What was my first reaction? "Isn't that just typical of a Yankees fan - when given a chance, be a jerk."

My second reaction was, "Well, they're probably jealous."

Why? Because the Yankees are currently three games behind the Red Sox and, with the largest payroll in baseball, their fans are concerned that their team won't be any more successful at winning the big one than they have been in the last five years.

The Red Sox in 2004. The White Sox in 2005. Marlins in 2003. Angels in 2002. Diamondbacks in 2001. How galling that must be to that poor graffiti artist. And the poor guy couldn't even get his team colors right. But at least he used K.C. Royals blue.

Then, a week later to the day, the entire sign was stolen off the front of our house.

Oh, those Yankees.

By the way, we'll be having a replacement sign made ... and hanging it higher.

Kendall Simmons,

Lawrence

Comments

bmwjhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Well, maybe they aren't Yankee fans... Maybe they wish their street didn't have so much unsightly, unimportant and, at the very least, DATED, crap on it.

BDitty 8 years, 5 months ago

bmw- it's their house, he can hang whatever he wants. I for one find those house's with 9,000,000 flowers and a damn rainforrest planted in their yards more unsightly then a banner.

yourworstnightmare 8 years, 5 months ago

Yes the Yankees are an evil juggernaut.

Only those poor, martyred Red Sox fans, who support a team with the 2nd highest payroll and predatory practices much like the Yankees, can resist them. A real David and Goliath situation.

You want to feel like a martyr? Try supporting the Royals.

BDitty 8 years, 5 months ago

I will say that this has to be one of the most irrelevant LTE that I've ever seen... and I'm a huge Red Sox fan.

Ken Miller 8 years, 5 months ago

Be thankful they only defaced/stole your banner. I once saw fans at Yankee Stadium throw red-hot BBQ coals under a car - because it had a Massachussets license plate. Ka-BOOM - followed by cheering. Strangely, it took police awhile to arrive at the scene.

Be thankful you're not a Cubbies fan.

happyone 8 years, 5 months ago

Go ahead get a bigger banner. If you get one big enough then the City will make you remove it...don't remember what the exact size is but the city will ticket you big time. More than likely he lives in the 2nd or 3rd block of Michigan and fits right in with the rest of the trashy neighborhood.

dviper 8 years, 5 months ago

Kendall -

According to my understanding of the City of Lawrence ordinance regulating signs (Article 7), your sign is not allowed. There are 20 pages that define signs and the regulations of use. For your specific situation, read section 5-738, for signs permitted in residential districts.

Brian Dick 8 years, 5 months ago

I have an '03-'04 AFC West Champions, Kansas City Chiefs, banner hanging the length of my garage door at my house. Nobodys ever messed with it?!?

Ken Miller 8 years, 5 months ago

Brian:

How did the Chiefs do in the playoffs that season?

xenophonschild 8 years, 5 months ago

The mighty New York Yankees are beloved of baseball, and will again trounce the hated, vile Boston Red Sox in the American League East.

xenophonschild 8 years, 5 months ago

I just wish A-Rod would've kicked Varitek's ass that day they had their tussle. I hate the Red Sox.

BDitty 8 years, 5 months ago

V-tek would have stomped A-Rod like the prissy, pretty boy he is. The Yanks are old, slow, and hurt... They are Ovaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!