Archive for Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Proposal would repeal law allowing in-state tuition to some illegal immigrants

January 17, 2006

— Legislation was filed today that would repeal a law that allows some non-citizen students to get the less expensive in-state tuition at public universities in Kansas.

State Rep. Becky Hutchins, R-Holton, said the repeal was necessary for budget reasons.

"It's about priorities," Hutchins said. In addition, she said, many lawmakers didn't understand the measure when it passed in 2004.

The law allows illegal immigrants to qualify for lower in-state tuition if they attended a Kansas high school for at least three years and graduate or earn a general education development certificate in Kansas. Also, they must be seeking legal immigration status.

Last year, Kansas University officials said there were five students enrolled who were receiving lower tuition rates under the law.

State Rep. Barbara Ballard, D-Lawrence, said she would oppose efforts to repeal the law.

"Many of those students have been in Kansas schools all of their lives," she said.

The law was challenged in federal court, but last year a judge dismissed the lawsuit.

Comments

Centrist 9 years, 3 months ago

Damn right ... why reward anyone "illegal" with anything????????

Shelley Bock 9 years, 3 months ago

So your solution is to send them home? But, you never ask why they are here to begin with. The children of illegals are here because business, restaurants, contstruction companies and farms are all willing to hire them. They're here to chase the same "American Dream" your great-grandparents, maybe even parents sought when they arrived in the US.

Several years ago a child of an illegal graduated from LHS and then played Division 2 sports. The student was recognized by the Sunflower League for athletic skill and by the high school for academics. No one knew that the parent was illegal. The student later quit athletics in order to graduate from Junior College more quickly in order to aid that person's family. This student paid taxes, as did the parent. Why shouldn't they derive any benefits from their payments? Or, it's OK for Burger King and McDonald's to hire the illegal so you can have cheap dinners, but don't grace the worker with the same benefits that you obtain from your tax dollar.

And, next time you have an accident with someone you deem "illegal" just thank your legislator who didn't allow them to have a driver's license. Since they don't have a driver's license they won't have insurance and you'll have to pick up the entire cost. Lucky you.

Linda Endicott 9 years, 3 months ago

If they want to be here so badly, why don't they apply for citizenship?

Wouldn't that solve everything?

If they're only here to take advantage of our educational system, then let them pay for it. If they don't intend to stay in this country after they graduate, then why should they reap the benefits?

cowgomoo 9 years, 3 months ago

Illegal aliens work low wage jobs, not because there aren't Americans to fill them, it's because those employers can pay them ridiculously low wages in violation of FLSA laws and they know the illegals can't do anything about it. Otherwise those jobs would have to be advertised and filled in accordance with FLSA and other labor laws.

glockenspiel 9 years, 3 months ago

Ok Hepburn. You win. Open up the borders. Let them all come in. In case they forget, make sure to tell them to bring their kids too.

Meanwhile, my signicant other will continue to pay out of state tuition for the 7th year, even when we plan to get married and make Kansas our permanent home.

Ashley Woodward 9 years, 3 months ago

Oftotheright, YOUR ridiculous.

I don't know how many times I've had to stand up to people like you and defend immigrants. I personally have heard the reasons why they come to the US. They do not come here to bother the Americans or take THEIR jobs. They come here to persue a better life than what they are given in their own countries. It is not their fault that they were born into a poor country, and they should not have to settle for it. If you were in their shoes making $5 a day, you'd do whatever it took to support your family, even if breaking the law to come to a more prosperous country is what it took! Lay off the judging - everyone's equal in my book.

Sigmund 9 years, 3 months ago

Relax the immigration laws and CLOSE the borders to illegals. Those who come here legally will be treated as legals and welcome to any job they are willing and able to do. The illegals should be jailed, fingerprinted, and deported. That is basically the way every other western democracy treats illegals an so should we. Try getting caught working illegally in any country (including Mexico) and see if your given in state tuition! It is simply ridiculous.

Shardwurm 9 years, 3 months ago

Funny how so many people are concerned about the 'image' of Kansas as it relates to the Evolution debacle but failed to make much of this when it received a lot of negative national attention.

In any case I'm glad the change is forthcoming. Makes no sense that someone from Missouri should pay more than an illegal alien.

benm024 9 years, 3 months ago

You people who defend ILLEGAL immigrates amaze me. As a matter of fact, I don't think you really care about the issue at all, its just goes along with the rest of your liberal ideology that your party preaches to you. Before you throw a hissy fit, I feel the same way about sheep on the right with social issues like Intelligent Design.

Just because your "party" makes it an issue up for debate does not make it legitimate, try thinking for yourself for a change. Stop defending ILLEGAL immigrants that you know or care nothing about, stop trying to teach religion in science class, and start trying to make your country a better place.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 3 months ago

the article says that "some" illegals" will lose their in-state tuition if this bill passes! "some?" okay that implies that some may continue to receive it!

rip it all out, NONE of the illegals should get instate tuition!

however, we should have an extra surcharge for Missourians...damned roughians.
e

Ashley Woodward 9 years, 3 months ago

I'm not defending anyone because my "party" tells me too.

Most illegal immigrants that I know do not come here for free medical care and education. They come here to work and make money to support their family. I am all for immigrants coming here legally, but if you have ever researched that process, you would know that it usually takes years for the processing to go through and your chances of actually getting a VISA are fairly slim, unless you are persuing education.

Most immigrants, at least from Mexico and Latin America, pay $2,000 or more just to have someone lead them across the border. If the U.S. made $2000 from each immigrant that comes here, the budget crisis may not look so bad. Think about it, between 500,000 and 1M immigrants a year, at $2,000 each. That's $1-2 Billion a year!

I'm not asking anyone to change your opinions on the issue, I'm just asking that you look at it from both sides and not be so hateful towards immigrants.

glockenspiel 9 years, 3 months ago

Oh, so if we can make money off of it, thats okay...

fascinating_person 9 years, 3 months ago

I think one of the main issues that hasn't been much discussed in these posts is the fact that the illegal immigrants receiving in-state tuition have (by law) attended a Kansas high school for at least 3 years, which puts them in the situation of having been an illegal immigrant since about 15 years of age at the oldest (and more likely since a much younger age). Clearly this law benefits children who were most likely not involved with the decision to cross into the United States illegally and rather were brought over by their parents. Glockenspiel, I do agree it's unfair that your fiance has to pay out of state tuition. I pay instate tuition - I get no financial aide - and I struggle like hell to afford THAT. There are a lot of people who need more help and more money than they're getting, but that doesn't mean we should take the help/money away from others who are in just as much (or a lot more) need than we are, even if they're "less deserving" of it because of their family's decisions. I don't like the idea of paying for help for others with my own tax dollars either, but I understand the law's in place to improve the society we live in by making an education more accessible. And, Offtotheright, it's not ok with you for people to do "whatever it takes" to support themselves and their family? What are they supposed to do? Shrivel up and die? Harsh.

hawkbygod 9 years, 3 months ago

These are still kids that had no choice whether their parents brought them to America.

The article states that these students are applying for citizenship. IMO as long as they are in the process of becoming an American let them continue their education at an affordable rate. It is not like they can go out and get student loans.

benm024 9 years, 3 months ago

Its not being hateful, it's looking out for your own well being. Why even have boarders at all if you do not want to enforce them. Just let everybody storm into our country and reap the benefits. I would encourage you to look at both sides as well. If the above happened, this country would buckle very quickly under its own population. The country would get swamped with immigrants, it would deplete itself, and then there would be a mass exodus as our country would now be worse off then the countries they came from, if we even had a country at that point.

Legal Immigrants are a wonderful addition to the population adding productivity and culture. However illegal immigrants are very bad for the US, and there is no "nice" way to get them out. The fact is they should not have gotten here in the first place, and they would not have if either side of the isle would take a stand (and put some money behind) border control.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 3 months ago

Nike...uh, your budget analogy ain't exactly working for me. Golly gee, a whole $1 or 2 Billion dollars a year?? That's like me owing $3,000 and someone hands me $2 and says, "Now how's that debt looking!" Wow, I only owe another $2,998...

staff04 9 years, 3 months ago

To all who subscribe to the school of "round 'em up and run 'em out"--are you going to pay for it? I bet every one of you support lower taxes. I bet you even support cuts to school funding to pay for tax cuts. Are you going to be willing to pony up and pay the bill for deporting an estimated 10-12 million illegal immigrants in this country? I didn't think so. Until you can come up with a real solution, I think you should stay out of this debate. You do realize that if you can't get your head around the problem, you can't be taken seriously, right? People who say "round 'em up and run 'em out" obviously have no concept for where to even BEGIN when it comes to dealing with illegal immigration.

I researched this back when Kris Kobach was filing the above-mentioned lawsuit, and Kobach's lawsuit cost the state more than what ten years of allowing the less than 40 students per year who even qualify to participate. That's right folks. Less than forty per year. I'm guessing, with the 100,000 or so students attending Kansas Regent's schools, this isn't at all about budget concerns.

And I suppose I should ask, even though I think most of you will probably shout, "hell yes," while holding up your beer, do you really think sending more uneducated people out into the world is a smart solution?

bankboy119 9 years, 3 months ago

Here's the solution, for those who think that illegals aren't that big of deal why don't you let them take your place and you go live in Mexico. It's ridiculous to think that they get benefits that I'm not entitled to as a citizen. Throw them back across the border, if they come in again, shoot them.

webmocker 9 years, 3 months ago

Glock,

I assume you have thoroughly researched the process of qualifying for in-state tuition at KU, but I know it used to simply require one year of continuous residency in Kansas. Is it true that seven isn't enough now!?

topflight 9 years, 3 months ago

Bunch of damn idiots who passed that damn thing anyway. Lets make it easier for the border jumpers to get an education and just forget about our own Kansas citizens. Bullcrap. Build the damn wall.

staff04 9 years, 3 months ago

Topflight:

Right on! Now if you'll just pay your share of the billions of dollars it will cost us to build that wall, we can get right on top of that.

Christine Anderson 9 years, 3 months ago

Yippeee! Finally, another article I get to comment on. OTTR, I usually don't agree with you, but in this case, right on! I'd like to offer a rather "personal" take on the illegal immigrant issue. Would it surprise any of you out there to know that there are an astonishing number of immigrants playing the illegal game, right here in Lawrence et metro K.C.? And guess what? Most of them are not from Mexico. Let's try some of the West African nations, esp. NIGERIA. Wait, I must first digress. I have many friends who have been LEGAL immigrants, who come here under lawful visas, who work their butts off to support their families, and who bring honor to our country. My ex-spouse is one of them. He came here from a middle eastern nation, in a legal and honorable way. He was eligible to stay here whether or not he had ever met and married me, because he had done things the right, meaning the legal way. Ours was a legitimate, although ultimately failed marriage. This man went on to achieve permanent resident status after the divorce. Two years after we married, we went to an interview at INS, with our daughter in tow. At least we were ONE couple who didn't have to get their lies straight beforehand, so that INS would be fooled into thinking we were a real couple. Now, for the OTHER kind of immigrant. I'd love to know-what do other LJW readers think of someone who does the following: 1) tricks a long-time friend into marrying them so they don't have to go back where they belong. No intention of it ever being a real marriage. 2) tells the American victim of their scam they only have to be married for one week, and could then get it annuled. 3) Runs a daycare which accepts SRS-funded children, (i.e. accepts OUR tax dollars as payment), and, god help us all, functions as a foster parent to Kansas children. 4) Hides behind the facade of supposedly being a "Christian". ( Their pastor knew about it the whole time) Last time I checked, Christians are commanded to obey the governing authorities. I'll bet that includes immigration laws.... 5) Hey, you know you, even though THIS person will never be the one to make that phone call, don't think you'll get away with it. We all will have to stand and account for our actions one day. How do you plan to justify yours???

Whew- do I feel better!

bankboy119 9 years, 3 months ago

staff, yes I support lower taxes BUT let's look at the long-term effects. If we pay to "round em up and run em out" now then we are looking, in the long term, to decrease costs. Also staff, for all the research you've done you seem to have not researched how much it takes to keep these ILLEGALS in our prisons and how many of your tax dollars they cost you every year just to be here. California is BROKE because of the illegals, Arizona is headed that way. Same for New Mexico. Come on and you get real. Don't let America get any worse than it already has become. Harsher punishments for criminals. Illegals don't have rights. Go home.

staff04 9 years, 3 months ago

bankboy:

So pony up. I don't see anyone reaching for their wallets...

Since you mentioned it, how much would it cost to make them all felons? Where do we put them while they are waiting to be deported? That's right, prison.

Also, what would be the cost to American businesses when they suddenly have to fill 6 million jobs? If you claim to not care about this one, wait until you are out of a job because business and the economy in general cannot handle such a scenario.

We ABSOLUTELY have to deal with this, but if you can't understand the absurdity and infeasibility of policy like that, then we will never get it resolved.

bankboy119 9 years, 3 months ago

I didn't say wait to deport them. Throw them across the new shiny fence....or over the sturdy concrete wall I don't care. But just so we have the record straight we do have to have the borders shut tight before we can even think of deporting these people. If we don't, they'll be back in 48 hours if not less.

As for the job comment, I won't be out of a job. The economy should actually be doing better despite what people like you claim. Do you realize how much money they send back to Mexico every year? I see what these people do. Any money they make that they don't have to buy food with or pay rent with, goes home. That is sucking money straight from the economy, not generating it. Yes businesses will have to pay more but on the other side, there will be billions more left in the US that consumers will put back into our economy, where it should be in the first place, not sending it back to Mexico.

staff04 9 years, 3 months ago

So, each time an immigrant found illegally in say, Minneapolis, we should put him on his own private charter back to Mexico? Wow, the bill for this thing just keeps getting higher and higher. Wouldn't it probably make more sense to hold him until we at least have a busload?

Business and economic leaders disagree with you on the point that the economy would be doing better. I don't claim to be an expert on this aspect of the subject, but I know that they have overwhelmingly rejected the notion that any effective immigration policy that isn't at the same time highly detrimental and even dangerous to the economy can possibly include policy like that which you support.

I suppose you aren't, based on your name, one of the likely millions of small business owners who would go out of business as the result of such a flawed policy.

That is all. My day is done. Time to go home. See you all again soon.

staff04 9 years, 3 months ago

Oooh. Sorry, but I did think of something else to say as I was turning out the lights here.

Not one to make too many assumptions, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you do something in the finanancial services sector. Now play along with me here for a second--you mentioned that you wouldn't be out of a job if the economy collapsed under the weight of such policy, and I would like to take your word for it, BUT:

What happens when small businesses start up? That's right, they take out loans. And what happens when they fail? Again you are correct, they default on those loans! Ladies and gentlemen, bankboy is going for the trifecta here--an unprecedented three in a row! And now, for your final question... Drumroll please!

What happens when lots of small businesses default on their loans? That's right again!!! Banks become insolvent and fail as well!!

Ladies and gentlemen, if there is one lesson to be learned tonight, it is that you should not drink alcohol while operating heavy equipment. Oh wait, no, here it is. Never get so confident. An economic collapse will effect every man, woman, and child in this country, no matter how safe you think your job is.

Now I'll thank you all again and say good night.

staff04 9 years, 3 months ago

ljreader:

I never said it was healthy. This is a most unhealthy relationship. It is like one of those parasites that is so big that in order to kill the parasite, you have to kill the host.

I think I made my point quite clear with my statements about the effects it would have on small business. I'm not saying it will totally kill the economy, but just like the Reaganite mantra of trickle-down economics, this thing just starts in the middle with small business and puts a huge dent in what we have spent the last 75 or so years trying build up after the last crash.

All I am trying to do here is bring a little perspective to the board today, as there seemed to be no one willing to shout down the rallying cries earlier today. People seem to get so far ahead of themselves on this issue without ever really stopping their mouths long enough to REALLY hear what the problem is.

staff04 9 years, 3 months ago

I just realized I'm an addict. Is anyone interested in starting up a chapter of LJW Anonymous?

topflight 9 years, 3 months ago

Hey, i will gladly help pay for the multi billion dollar wall. But, the government can just borrow it and add another couple billion to the already multi trillion dollor deficit. We could never even tell there was more money added to it.

Dani Davey 9 years, 3 months ago

Ok, I want all of you to go back and reread the article. It says very clearly that under the law, in order for an illegal alien to qualify for instate tuition, they have to be in the process of attaining legal immigration status. We aren't talking about 40 somethings who cross the border to go to KU. We're talking about kids who have been here most their life, have a high school diploma or GED from Kansas and are most likely planning to stay.

You want to send them all back to Mexico? An interesting idea. Are you guys going to mow my neighbors lawn, pick up my trash or cook my meal when I go out to dinner? I doubt it.

The only thing that I agree with on this board is that it was a bunch of idiots that passed this bill. A big Republican led House and Senate bunch of idiots.

Christine Anderson 9 years, 3 months ago

Hey, if we ever DO start enforcing the immigration laws we already have on the books, do I get to help round 'em up?? Aw, please, please, pretty please. This one's PERSONAL!!!

classclown 9 years, 3 months ago

Dani... Your neighbor can mow his own damn lawn like several people do, I've yet to see any Mexicans on any of the trash crews I've seen here, and not all cooks in this town are Mexican. Or are you refering to when you go out to Mexican restaraunts?

The way I see it, is if all the illegal immigrants are thrown out, Wal Mart might find itself in a bind. It might even have to revert to violating child labor laws.

bojimmy 9 years, 3 months ago

Did anyone who is posting on this thing read the article. There are 5 students at KU attending with the in state tuition. Five. FIVE. F-I-V-E!!! No one's tuition is going up because we let some kids who grew up in Kansas, graduated from a Kansas high school, live here legally, get(ing) full citizenship and good grades have in state tuition. Hey, I think the in state tuition rules are crap. I think if you are engaged to someone, married to someone, live continuosly in Kansas, sign a pledge, your parents own businesses in kansas, pay taxes in kansas, you should get in state tuition. So of course, the natural thing to do if you are part of the group I just named is complain about immigrant children who get it even though any other kid, regardless of the state they lived in previously, having graduated from a Kansas high school would get in state tuition [sarcasm]. If you would look at the facts from a non-selfistic point of view you will see what is really happening here and you would not hold the silly opinions you do. No... If you want to change the tuition rules so someone who is married to a Kansas resident gets it, lobby the legislature to do that.

But you are upset because you see individuals who speak poor or no english at all, picking up trash and redoing roofs that should not apply to their kids, who have done nothing at all.

Mexico is a country we share a border with, have $50 billion in trade with (Corn doesnt grow well in the desert, but it grows wonderfully in the midwest), and is a country that is finally becoming a well organized democracy as opposed to a mob-rule thug nation that wanted to go to war with us as little as 75 years ago (WWI people... look it up). Dont be silly. Your legislators, that you continue to send to Topeka, and Washington for the 10th time (talking about the Kansas 2nd, Brownback and Roberts) do not care. They do not care because they know the stakes are high for big business. If they REALLY cared they'd strengthen penalties for people that hire illegals.

If you close the borders, YOU will be sharing a border with a nation that begins to experience serious social strife. Meanwhile, the city on the hill (us) looks brighter than ever. Eventually, they can't afford the corn we ship and other goods that go out start to dry up for them thanks to our farm-subsidy system. We all know what happens when there is serious poverty in a nation. They look up, and see the US... that shining city on a hill that they would love to blow up. Or you have a Mexican civil war... lets not forget the Mexicans that are here and how they will react once we turn off the faucet.

Be part of the solution and not the problem. Look at this rationally. And stop watching Lou Dobbs.