Archive for Monday, January 2, 2006

Day of reason

January 2, 2006

To the editor:

Mayor Boog Highberger's proclamation of International Dadaism Month is a perfect epitaph for a culture which has undergone total philosophical collapse under the influence of our modern intellectuals.

Dadaism is not simply some lighthearted, whimsical way to lighten up boring commission meetings, nor is it just a quirky theory of esthetics. It represents a deeper philosophy that upholds nihilism, deliberate irrationalism, disillusionment and the total rejection of man's mind as a means of understanding reality.

Hugo Ball and the rest of the Dadaists were indeed reacting to the horrors of World War I, but they did so by embracing the very intellectual premises that made it and all the horrors of 20th century collectivism possible. Ball was a profoundly mystical, militantly irrational anarchist who rejected objective reality, science, logic, reason and individual rights, giving us in answer to the world's problems nothing but phonetic babbling and illogical sounds. It is no wonder our mayor likes him.

Any politician who believes "reason and anti-reason, consciousness and unconsciousness, belong together as necessary parts of a whole" is beyond hope.

In response to our mayor's Dadaism Month, I would propose a single "Day of Reason" for Lawrence residents to study the writings of Ayn Rand. She was the one 20th century philosopher who consistently upheld objective reality, reason, individual rights and limited government. We either embrace objective reality, reason, and all its corollaries, or eventually devolve into the madness of "zimzim urallala zimzim."

David Claassen-Wilson,

Lawrence

Comments

Richard Heckler 9 years, 6 months ago

A little non sense never hurt anyone...life could always be worse.

Are we discussing the same Russian-born atheist Ayn Rand-the gospel of greed? I don't have a problem with someone declaring themselves atheist...

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 6 months ago

Anytime someone invokes Ayn Rand, it's almost guaranteed that they lack any sense of humor.

yourworstnightmare 9 years, 6 months ago

The author wrote: "It represents a deeper philosophy that upholds nihilism, deliberate irrationalism, disillusionment and the total rejection of man's mind as a means of understanding reality."

Hmm. This is a great description of the Kansas State board of Education and the Kansas legislature.

I thought it was just fundamentalist christianity, not dadaism.

Politics (and philosophy) make strange bedfellows...

yourworstnightmare 9 years, 6 months ago

A "day of reason" would be welcome, but I have always found Rand to be as unreasonable and in denial of reality as the communism that she so ardently despised.

Ragingbear 9 years, 6 months ago

Overpriced theological philosophy only leads to the inept gratitute of solitary essential pouring of one's own life into the vessel of an atypical monarchy. Overpowering is the essental gratitute of hateful mockery of one's own dignity, but only on Tuesdays.

After the though, we can all understand why there is no overabundance of silt within the sands of our own illbegotten strategy of our inverted reverie, and the pets that follow us blindly through the underheated airconditioning vents of life. Only those happen after we shout to the sky "My life hurts nobody but myself!" and jump into a mudpuddle during the middle of a drought.

After all, we are only animals with oposable minds.

Densmore 9 years, 6 months ago

Ragingbear:

I am a fan of your posts. However, I think that you should lay off the windowpane for a few days.

Happy New Year, dude.

Godot 9 years, 6 months ago

Dada strikes again. See, we don't even need special days for it. It just happens.

Ragingbear 9 years, 6 months ago

Windowpane.. Didn't know people still called it that.

You should see my other DADA post...

wonderhorse 9 years, 6 months ago

Raging

I did. Are you signed up for a writing class? That's what my writing looked like when I was....

Anyway, it's fun trying to decipher what you are attempting to say in this phase of your postings. It is a phase, isn't it?

Ragingbear 9 years, 6 months ago

No, just ravings of complete madness. The first one I did like this was about going to a coffee shop. This one I believe is about riding the bus... Or going to a library. Not really sure.

ryanjasondesch 9 years, 6 months ago

What exactly is this reality you speak of David Claassen-Wilson? You seem quite sure of your own rationality and your understanding of reality. What if you're wrong? What if it's really the Matrix? If not how do ya know? It's sad that some believe mankind is only worthy when he is responsible, rational, and does what he or she is told. Nice try. I prefer Tom Robbins:

"Humanity has advanced, when it has advanced, not because it has been sober, responsible, and cautious, but because it has been playful, rebellious, and immature"

And if it's small government you like, I sure hope you didn't vote for this psedo-conservative in the White House today. Again, Robbins:

"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business"

I put it to you sir, what is truth, what is real, how do YOU know? I say good day sir!

PS, Ayn Rand would better make for a "Literary Garbage" day, or "Books that I'd Rather Shove Through My Eye than Read, Day"

ryanjasondesch 9 years, 6 months ago

75x75: Oui, comme Descartes a dit, "Je pense, donc je suis" mais pour moi, pourquoi on pense a tous? C'est la vie!