Archive for Sunday, February 19, 2006

Lawrence, Topeka rivalry heats up

February 19, 2006

The Lawrence-Topeka rivalry can span business, high school sports and many facets between the two cities about 25 miles apart.

Most agree Lawrence is the university town that emphasizes culture, and Topeka hangs its hat as the state capital home to many government services and jobs.

"At least before it was definitely just a friendly rivalry. We were Lawrence's cousin that they didn't want to the west," said Lana Kennedy, a member of the Topeka City Council.

"They think everyone here's a hippy. People here think everyone there is a redneck," said Joshua Anderson, of Lawrence. "It's obviously not true, but it's sort of a joke."

Reaction to recent comments from Mike Elwell, owner of Abe & Jake's Landing, 8 E. Sixth St. in Lawrence, has put some fire into that rivalry recently.

In a Feb. 7 Journal-World article, Elwell outlined a Friday night policy for his bar that requires customers to have two forms of identification, one to show their age and the other to prove enrollment at Kansas University or Haskell Indian Nations University. He also said in the article that he thought many problems that come to Lawrence drinking establishments "center on Topeka."

The comments came two days after the fatal shooting outside the Granada in downtown Lawrence. Robert Earl Williams, who had lived in Topeka and planned to move to Lawrence, was killed in the incident.

Elwell said Saturday he believed his comments were misconstrued and that he spoke in the context of Lawrence nightlife - not about everyone in Topeka.

But several media reports have focused on the comments and have put the relationship between the two cities in the limelight.

"I don't care what town it's addressed to, I think it's an inappropriate comment. I don't think anyone in Lawrence has any interest in keeping the people of Topeka from coming to Lawrence," said Lawrence City Commissioner David Schauner.

Lawrence commissioners agreed Tuesday to draft a letter with the message that all Topekans are welcome in Lawrence. It will be sent this week.

"A disgruntled bar owner doesn't like Topekans, doesn't like our young people," said John Nave, a Topeka City Council member. "He's picking on one particular community, really."

Kennedy said she had heard from some in Topeka who had now boycotted spending their time and money in Lawrence. She has decided to pass on tickets for comedian Lewis Black, who will perform Thursday at Liberty Hall.

Lawrence Mayor Boog Highberger commutes to Topeka during the week for his job at the Kansas Department of Health and Environment. He said he had received some joking comments from colleagues about the media attention to the issue.

"If there's any ill will toward Lawrence from people in Topeka, I'd like to do away with that if we can," he said.

On Saturday, a few Lawrence residents said the general political differences between the two cities might cause some friction. But a few people cannot speak for everyone, they said.

"I feel that some people feel that Topeka is less cultured than we are," said Wendy Cornell, of Lawrence. "I don't know what they (Topeka) think about us. There's lots of things there that we could benefit from."

"I think there's just a lack of respectful behavior. People need to start getting over themselves," said M.L. Helm, who has lived in Lawrence for 20 years.

And Highberger hopes the Lawrence and Topeka stereotypes will die.

"I don't think a rivalry is good for either of us. We have a lot of things in common, and working together is what's best for us," he said.

Comments

Richard Heckler 9 years, 1 month ago

If the matter is dropped from discussion it will go away. If some want to boycott Lawrence for awhile so be it. Most comments I saw were directed at the ruffians from both KC and Topeka. That kind of info comes from the news. Of course some may have been from St Louis or Slapout,Oklahoma. Obviously ruffians are a small minority of any population. Ruffians are certainly not limited to economic,geographical or racial spectrums.

The bottom line is each city has ruffians. I've not found a city/town without friendly people.

rtwngr 9 years, 1 month ago

How about we post a sign on the west side of Lawrence, at the city limits. "Topekan, don't let the sun set on your head in this town."

mcoan 9 years, 1 month ago

Oh, lighten up and admit it: Topeka has been a joke to Lawrencians for 100 years. Every state has a town that gets lots of jokes about it, and it's usually the one that either has the prison, the state capitol, the state mental hospital, or more than one of these. It's usually a working-class town, too, with a less educated populace and a higher percentage of meth use and manufacturered homes. I used to live in Oregon, where Salem is home to all three, and the butt of jokes. Olympian, Wash., Sacramento, Calif., same thing.

Sure, the jokes are based on stereotypes, and therefore aren't true, but stereotypes generally start with some basis in reality.

I heard this one at least 20 years ago: "Topeka has three types of people, lawyers (politicians), mental patients, and bikers."

If Lawrencians didn't think Topeka inferior, why do so many (like the Mayor) live here and work there? I actually like to visit the place, but I like to make fun of it, too. And I wouldn't want to live there. One of my best friends is from there, and I'll never let him forget it! (And he definitely wouldn't live there, BTW, but then again, he probably wouldn't live anywhere in KS becasue he's not a Republican.)

Topeka also has a less robust downtown, declining population, less-educated work force (25% have college degrees, vs. 47.7% in Lawrence), and, they voted for Bush TWICE (reason enough to laugh at their stupidity, right?)

On the other hand, they have better hospitals, cheaper housing (by far) more employers for people without college degrees, more museums, and a killer library.

So, what are your favorite Topeka jokes?

classclown 9 years, 1 month ago

He obviously doesn't read the blogs on this site.

geekin_topekan 9 years, 1 month ago

The difference of anything in this country should be applauded with enthusiasm.Look at South Iowa and look at Johnson Boulevard.Plastic,sterile and devoid of any creativity. If some people of power in this country had it there way anyone with freethinking would be terminated and cremated on the spot.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 9 years, 1 month ago

Wow. Are these comments always so inane...or is it just mine?~)

I make fun of Topeka. I've been known to call it "To puke up" but, generally speaking, I have less ill will towards its residents than I have towards the snobs of Lawrence, like me.

Please, can we see more self loathing and less hatred of others?~)

Rhoen 9 years, 1 month ago

Wasn't Topeka among the top three cities (per capita) in the national index for violent crime five or six years ago? (Yes, it was.)

Oddly enough, the city has a second, opposite reputation nationally. In a large East Coast city last year, shopping for greeting cards, I saw the following:

Front: Dead body slumped against a brick wall in an alley, two investigators reviewing the scene. The caption at the top reads, "CSI TOPEKA"

Inside: "No doubt about it. Here's another one who was bored to death."

KsTwister 9 years, 1 month ago

Jamesaust 9 years, 1 month ago

Elwell: A rather inartful way of observing that there seems to be an awful lot of crime imported into the City over the years. What year was it that the guys off the turnpike shot the family watching the sunset in their van at riverfront park? Weren't the shooters from Topeka or was it KCK? Wasn't the guy who gunned down the other guy at the apartment complex a year or so ago from Topeka?

Maybe the LJW could have actually underscored or disproved the truth of Elwell's bias by combing its archives for some actual facts on this observation rather than giving us quotations about various people's impressions. Oh....sorry, that would have taken effort.

hammysammy 9 years, 1 month ago

Actually I was wondering when the Journal World would write something about this. The media in Topeka has been writing about it. Also I haven't heard any mention anywhere in Lawrence about how the Lawrence Police Chief's daughter was sentenced for some crimes she committed, which I saw on a Topeka news station. Maybe the news here just needs to actually report it when someone from here commits a crime, like our police chiefs daughter.

Downtoearth 9 years, 1 month ago

Don't let one group of people judge the rest! Their is bad all over! It's a college town. We should expect all kinds of freaks! More police after hour!

dte

hammysammy 9 years, 1 month ago

Oh I guess it was a supervisor, and he laundered money too! I didn't know that.

red6102003 9 years, 1 month ago

I used to own a bar in topeka and I agree with the people going out drinking in topeka the majority of them are trouble makers.The one thing I was personally told by an experienced door man in topeka that I hired.Is if there is a fight don't break it up call the police otherwise they are liable to come in and shoot you.Needless to say I got out of the topeka market after 6months because of the problems.I also oversee a bar in lawrence and the only times we have ever had any kind of problems with fights.Is when the topeka crowd started showing up.

Kaw Pickinton 9 years, 1 month ago

It's not that bad of an idea, no Topeka people at night, no JOCO people durring the day.

tpatric 9 years, 1 month ago

ben_ness 9 years, 1 month ago

The parallel between how people from Lawrence feel about Topeka and how people in the US view Kansas is very interesting. I am from Lawrence and always saw Topeka as the scurge of the state. Now I live in a major city on the East coast and I am embarassed to say I see Kansas as the scurge of the country. It use to be a great state......

DaREEKKU 9 years, 1 month ago

I agree ben_ness. The simple fact is that Topeka is a very dangerous place to live, and is home to much racisicm, bigotry and discrimination. There are small pockets here in Lawrence but the simple fact is that the entire state of Kansas is an eyesore on society.

moveforward 9 years, 1 month ago

The temptations to blame outsiders is understandable but hardly productive.

I have spent considerable time in Topeka and Overland Park. I now choose to live and work in Lawrence. To compare these cities as good or bad, better or worse seems small minded. The people I have met in each city like where they live. It is a mater of lifestyle and preference... so why the rivalry? Put that energy to productive use instead.

lunacydetector 9 years, 1 month ago

booger and schauner must be taking a lot of flack from their co-workers - SINCE THEY WORK IN TOPEKA!

it should be mandatory that elected officials work in the city they preside over.

there's a couple of jobs in lawrence waiting for booger and david at one of the many call centers lawrence is so proud of. or, they could start their own law practices in LAWRENCE! i'm sure there is some doper who needs representation. expect your lawyer pay to be cut in half, when you two decide to support the community you like to judge, jury and convict over the many needless things us dumb citizens can't figure out - you knows, when you ban us from doing something?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 1 month ago

I agree, Luny, and I would extend that even further-- they should be white, male property owners, as well, and we need to institute literacy tests for voters, as well.

Good to see another progressive around here, Luny!

lunacydetector 9 years, 1 month ago

someone should start a petition for a public vote requiring elected officials to be solely employed in lawrence with the majority of their income derived within the City limits.

i wonder how many people would sign it other than just another bozo and me.

so what say you people? isn't this a good idea?

Jamesaust 9 years, 1 month ago

One of the times (a few) that I agree with DeREEKKU.

I recall a few years back when the Topeka school district hired a new superintendent. At least, they thought he was hired. One weekend, he and his wife come on down from wherever (Wisconsin?) and run into a Phelps demonstration. The "new" superintendent and wife were back home before the weekend was out, writing his 'I've changed my mind' letter to the Topeka school board.

Once the (Cosmo Kramer-style) six lane turnpike is up and running, I expect housing prices in West Lawrence and North Lawrence to firm up nicely.

I had no idea Lewis Black was coming to Lawrence! Woo-hoo! Any Topekanese out there has tickets they want to unload?

That Lawrence is politically liberal by comparison to the rest of Kansas cannot be doubted. (I remember that the "gay marriage" vote a year ago failed in EVERY Lawrence voting precinct - even the 'country-club, fundamentalist-church' precincts.) But it is not at all clear that Lawrence is more liberal than the nation as a whole.

"requiring elected officials to be solely employed in lawrence with the majority of their income derived within the City limits." - unconstitutional but interesting. Unlike residency requirements for City employees, the issue with elected officials is not residency but where they work. Besides, the limitation on rights is not the elected officials but of the voters themselves.

What would be constitutional and even more interesting would be if Topeka started its own city-income tax (like KCMO). I imagine a considerable amount of revenue could be raised without burdening Topeka's residents very much - and all the revenue would be spent back on Topeka.

Godot 9 years, 1 month ago

Oooh, Jamesaust, you are delightfully evil! I wonder if anyone from the Topeka City Commission is reading this.

lunacydetector 9 years, 1 month ago

...but elected officials essentially get hired when they win an election, and they receive a salary from the City, so why aren't they considered City employees?

ben_ness 9 years, 1 month ago

Arminius - That was me! I am now a grown up corporate executive living in Washington DC. I drive a brand new BMW and own a 450k dollar condo. I work my ass off and probably make a lot more money than you. I really didn't get my stuff together until I left Kansas...stew over that one for a while. I am curious as to where we worked together though.

topekan7 9 years, 1 month ago

I am not a native Kansan. I came to Lawrence from the east coast in 1985, and I left Lawrence for Topeka during the summer of 1988. As a gay man, I find Topeka far less conservative and more accepting than Lawrence. The scourge of the Westboro Baptist Church has only helped to raise the consciousness of Topekans. It is easier to be a gay man with a life partner today in Topeka than it was 15 years ago. I have not seen as much growth in Lawrence as a community as we have experienced here over the past 15 years. Lawrence has not had to deal with the challenges we in Topeka have faced and won. Last winter, Topekans overwhelming rejected a measure that would have banned the city council from recognizing homosexuals as a protected class. I know...Lawrence has an anti-discrimination ordinance that protects homosexuals. That's great! But where are the gay bars, gay-owned restaurants, and civic organizations in Lawrence? In Topeka, they continue to grow and flourish. I find Topeka to have better city services, parks, streets, and less traffic. I enjoy Topeka's Civic Theater, Performing Arts Center, Kansas Museum of History, and its great restaurants. I agree...Lawrence's downtown is a nice place to window shop and have a meal. But does having a SuperTarget amount to more culture? If you want culture...go to Chicago. Lawrence is a nice place to visit...a nice place to live. So is Topeka. Culturally, there is little difference between Topeka and Lawrence. And where do all these college graduates in Lawrence go to work? Overland Park and Topeka! Politically....let's say Lawrence is 60% Democrat and Topeka is 40% Democrat...that leaves each city with about 50,000 Democrats. In Lawrence that happens to amount to a majority. But as far as a huge difference between the two cities....I don't see it. I've never been exposed to crime in Topeka...in Lawrence, my car has been vandalized twice.

mcoan 9 years, 1 month ago

Well, I'm speechless.

yourworstnightmare 9 years, 1 month ago

C'mon. Joyland has it over anything in Lawrence.

hammysammy 9 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, Garden City, Wichita, Kansas City KS, etc are all SOOO much better than Topeka...yeah right.

ben_ness 9 years, 1 month ago

arminius - Not too sure on the lawn-mower commercial and I haven't smoked marijuana in nearly ten years. My possessions are the product of my talents and hard work. If you want to look at them as a crutch, be my guest. I look at them as items I can take pride in. Not too sure why you are making personal attacks and I actually find it quite amusing you chose to focus on events that happened a decade ago and in a different life. If you would like to reveal yourself to me you can certainly email through the ljworld. I am curious WHICH job you are alluding to. I went through quite a few back then.

ben_ness 9 years, 1 month ago

Arminius - I was a pothead, and I made a fair share of mistakes. However, if the only insult you can throw my way was that I was a pothead and lasted four weeks at a job when I was a teen-ager I wouldn't say you have much of a pot to piss in. I am a native Kansan and I have as much of a right as ANY to put down a state which has gone down the tubes. The economy is suffering, Phil Kline has mounted his own personal campaign against abortion, KSBOE (I don't think I need to say any more about that), and the LJWorld has nothing better to put on their front page of their web-site than how Lawrence is better than Topeka.

Also, in reference to your statement about getting being given a chance a decade ago, I wouldn't consider a job making six dollars an hour a very good "chance"

You are weak, buddy.

ben_ness 9 years, 1 month ago

multidisciplinary - you are very correct on the housing costs in DC. 450k will buy you a modest condo in Arlington, VA. A nice house in N. VA will cost you about 600k - 1.2 mil.

Jamesaust 9 years, 1 month ago

ben_ness - don't worry about Arminius. He suffers from a condition whereby everything that happened during the Clinton Administration is just like yesterday (while having amnesia about everything that preceeded that). Don't take it personally.

I think you're just fine making comments about Kansas from afar - the view is clearer there. It never ceases to amaze me when the state doesn't something asinine that gets attention nationally and internationally but then turns around and believes somehow it can develop biosciences or attract talent.

Reminds me of Bill Maher: "The next reality show must be called "America's Stupidest State." We'll start at 50, and each week, if your state does something really stupid with, say, evolution or images of the Virgin Mary, you'll move on to the next round. Now, of course, the final five will always end up being Alabama, Utah, Kansas, Texas and Florida. Sorry, Tennessee."

Laughed my [you know what] off, because it is so true!! Finally, something that Kansas can out-compete (Clinton's) Arkansas over.

ben_ness 9 years, 1 month ago

Armenius - Pot was a phase for me. I quit smoking when I was 20 years old. May 19th of 1996 to be precise. Can't recall smoking after that except a time or two when I lived in the Carribean. Don't know why you keep on focusing on the whole drug thing as it was a very small insignificant part of my life. I am not ashamed of it, have no problem admitting to it, and it hasn't affected my ability to work, communicate, or lead a successful life. If you had the balls to reveal yourself to me I could probably come up with a thing or two about you as well. Not to sure why you think DC is such a bad place either. It is one of the most sophisticated, progressive, alive cities I have ever had the pleasure to live in. It is relatively safe, clean, and is way ahead of even the most forward thinking pockets of Kansas. As a matter of fact, USA Today just ranked it as the third best city in the US to live in. As for your reference to being a college drop-out, my choice to leave college was for financial reason. Additionally, for not having a college degree I would feel very secure in saying I enjoy a much higher level of professional success than you ever have. In the corporate world, outside of KS, college degrees don't make much of a difference. As a matter of fact, I just hired a Software Development Manager for 145k a year and he has less education than myself.

"Pothead"...is that all you've got? Come on man!

Jamesaust 9 years, 1 month ago

"Actually, many of us are with Phill. It's not his own, personal campaign. We're glad he is enforcing the laws that are on the books."

'What you takin bout Willis?'

The Kansas Supreme Court says NOT and it took all their willpower not to hold Phill in contempt for his little "I am the law" lese-majesty episode before he consulted his personal legal counsel and ate his own words (now that's a site - the AG needing legal advice over his own attitude problems). That's okay, Hermann - Kansans already hold him in contempt.

ben_ness 9 years, 1 month ago

jamesaust and holygrailale - Thanks for backing me up. I appreciate it. I was offered a position in Kansas City recently and would have taken it . It is still my home state and I miss my family and friend. I chose not to as my girlfriend is from DC and isn't ready for that type of move yet. I do miss the cost of living!

ben_ness 9 years, 1 month ago

I agree. Weed isn't much to shake a stick at and actually gets boring after a while. Arminius does seem to be a bit bitter towards me for some reason. Not to sure what I did to him/her to invoke such anger and resentment. Jamesaust - I too know many successful people who have toked up at some point in their lives. Many of them also with TS clearances. As a matter of fact, OPM, doesn't consider drug use as a large factor in making a decision to grant security clearances rather your honesty about using them.

ben_ness 9 years, 1 month ago

Multidisciplinary - Thanks to you as well. I am not proud nor ashamed of my drug use, at all, and was a bit surprised somebody would chose to make that public on this blog.

ben_ness 9 years, 1 month ago

multidisciplinary - I have brought her out a couple of times. She enjoys the relaxing pace of KS and kept asking me why there weren't any police cars parked on the side of the highways - they will pull you over for just about anything out here. She was also a bit nervous the first time we came out. My girlfried is African-American and was worried about how people would look at us. It wasn't a problem, but I had to admit, I was a bit worried about it as well.

Jamesaust 9 years, 1 month ago

Actually, ben_ness, you should consider a reasonable place like KC, especially if the money and the circumstances are right.

One of the great things about living in Jesusland is that when the repression and closedmindedness begin to close in, you can always go on vacation - DC, NYC, Cali, or for that matter, Vancouver or London or Los Cabos (this spring!). And yet, life here is relatively cheap, folks are mostly friendly, crime is quite low, and what's a traffic-jam?

ben_ness 9 years, 1 month ago

Arminius - did you run off? No reason to take any of this personally.

ben_ness 9 years, 1 month ago

I had a feeling it may have been Kevin, he always seemed a bit bitter to me. I worked with him at the Lawrence Business Ledger in the mid-90's. The LBL was a small newspaper in publication - lasted about two years. Mainly because Kevin was their account executive. When I worked there, I hadn't smoked weed in nearly a year. My salary was 6 dollars an hour and I had to sell an unrealistically large amount of column inch space to make a small percentage of the gross revenue. BTW, I noticed Kevin didn't mention that I wrote a business plan, with my Family, that secured a fairly large Small Business Administration loan in the late 90's. We opened a store downtown called "Carmesi" where buffalo wild wings is now. I was 23 when I did this. Kevin is probably still mad that I didn't buy ad space from him when he solicited our store.

ben_ness 9 years, 1 month ago

ha haha ha ....All it has been great, per usual, blogging with all of you. My battery is about to die and my girlfried needs my much overdue attention so I am signing off. Arminius, another day perhaps, if you promise not to take anything I say personally. Ciao!!

Jamesaust 9 years, 1 month ago

I suppose I need to get some other things done as well. I'm off to the center of liberal iniquity tomorrow - LA and Santa Monica.

Godot 9 years, 1 month ago

You libs don't do much to increase your likeability factor, here, the way you endeavor to do financial damage to people by denigrating their business acumen simply because they disagree with your ideology. It looks to me like you who attack Arminius for his track record as a business owner are either government employees or government contractors. Your own comfortable lifestyles depend on government's ability to suck spirit and money from entrepreneurs like Arminius. If things go the way you want, eventually there will be no Kevins, no independent business people, to attack. Eventually all you government people will have to exist by attacking one another to survive.

Maybe those of us who stuck our necks out will gain some bitter solace, some entertainment, from watching while you, those who sucked our blood to the point that we couldn't exist, devour one another.

lunacydetector 9 years, 1 month ago

ben, where do you work that makes you so much money?

bthom37 9 years, 1 month ago

I smell....what is that?....ah, the sour stench of bitterness from certain members of this forum.

ben_ness 9 years, 1 month ago

Arminius - My dates were off, oops. Yours are off as well. When I started with the LBL it was still called the Telegraphic. The conversion occured shortly after I started. When you came in to Carmesi you may have been with the Lawrence Business Ledger but I can't remember. Two years, four years, what is the difference. The years and dates aren't the point. The point is that you have decided, for some reason, to make a personal attack against me because of my opinion. Not only is that petty, it is a sign of a weak, insecure, jealous little man whose bitterness has prevented him from having any real success in life. If I recall, you always seemed to think you had your finger on the pulse of politics, probably due to the first class education you received at the University of the Phillipines. There is only so much you can know, Kevin, living in Lawrence, KS. It is a wonder to think you were ever in Intelligence for the USMC. BTW - Do you still consider yourself a Jeffersonian Democrat? Memory is pretty good for somebody who smoked weed isn't it?

ben_ness 9 years, 1 month ago

Lunacydetector - I work for a Systems Integrator in McLean, VA. We specialize in Service Oriented Architecture for both the feds and private corporations utilizing Java/J2EE architecture. We handle the development components of Defense Travel System (DTS), MARCS Recall for the FDA, and we are keeping our fingers crossed one of our partner companies will be awarded Sentinel, the new VCF for the FBI.

ben_ness 9 years, 1 month ago

holygrailale - I was trying to figure that one out as well.

bthom37 9 years, 1 month ago

Did Arminius (nee Kevin) ever work at the Kansas Union, in say 1999-2001?

Because if it's the same guy, I will laugh my a$$ off.

bthom37 9 years, 1 month ago

Hey Arminius, did you ever work at the Kansas Union?

Godot 9 years, 1 month ago

The article that originated this thread was about Lawrence's bigotry toward people from Topeka. Didn't take long for it to reveal the real bigotry that exists in Lawrence: KU academes vs anyone who disagrees with them. Maybe KU profs and grad students should form a coop (coop needed because none of them would go out on a limb to risk their own finances for a sole proprietorship) to open a bar that requires ID showing that the holder is KU faculty or grad student, or other high-level goverment employeee, or lobbyist, to gain entrance.

ben_ness 9 years, 1 month ago

Armenius - Oops, forgot the extra "p". I Never worked with you any place other than the Ledger and I'm weak, insecure, and have a complete feeling of incontentness, this is the main reason for my successes both personally and professionally. My girlfriend, and ex-wife stay out of this blog. Kevin, You completely lack class to drag my personal life into this conversation. Your low blows are a sign of your insecurities. Come on, man, you can do better than that.

bthom37 9 years, 1 month ago

So Godot, did you win a gold or a silver medal in the reading comprehension event at this year's Special Olympics?

ben_ness 9 years, 1 month ago

holygrailale - I would love to get in on that game :)

bankboy119 9 years, 1 month ago

I think holy has a point. We should have let the rest of Muslims here illegally run around free and blow the rest of the country up because otherwise we would have been discriminatory for not getting the rest of the people here illegally out as well.

RonBurgandy 9 years, 1 month ago

This is a story? Who cares if the bar owner doesn't like topekans. Who cares if people don't like another city. What kind of rivalry is this? There are a lot of people who like the town they live it and not towns around it, everywhere.

ben_ness 9 years, 1 month ago

Arminius - Considering the sanctions against Iraq were approved by the UN, and enforced by the Clinton Administration, shouldn't your completely psychotic and inane web-site focus on the impeachment of Kofi Annan -if such a thing is possible at the UN. If I recall, the history of conflict between the US and Iraq, to present, began as result of Desert Storm during the Bush Sr. Administration. Let's also keep in mind the real culprit here is Saddam Hussein, not Bush Sr. or Clinton. It was his responsibility to meet the demands of the UN. He easily could have prevented the death of 500,000 children had he paved the way for UN inspections, which he did not. Your facts are distorted and your citations appear to be mainly based on opinion - half of them quotes from Osama himself - rather than fact. You have a table showing an increase of military personnel throughout the Clinton Administration; however, I don't see how this is applicable to your arguments. This idea of a retro-active empeachment may hold some water in that half-wit brain of yours Arminius but it makes no sense otherwise.

If you would like to move for empeachment; however, I am politically connected enough I could easily reach Ken Starr about your idea. Although my guess would be that he wouldn't want to waste his time as he actually understands politics and the laws dictating the powers of empeachment.

ben_ness 9 years, 1 month ago

Arminius - I feel like you are an evil english teacher grading my papers based on grammatical errors rather than content. Your idea of Retroactive Impeachment of Clinton instead of impeaching George W. is as relevant as my idea of the impeachment of Kofi Annan vs. Boutros Boutros-Ghali. I don't recall ever saying Kofi Annan was General Secretary prior to '97.

If your website is meant to be sarcastic rather than factual then I understand how you could somehow connect the dots; however, stating that Al Queda has waged war on the United states due to Clinton's build-up of troops throughout his administration is tantamount to saying there really is a man in the moon - I could have sworn there was a couple of times when I was high. Al-Queda's, and other fundamental Islamic organizations plight for the destruction of the Western World is not that two-dimensional. However, If your apparent omniscient power and knowledge you excercise in these blogs from your home in SE Lawrence makes you the authority on Al Queda, then who am I to question that?

And since you continue to bring it up, I left my wife, she didn't leave me. I don't view it as a failure rather one of the best decisions I have ever made as she suffered from mental ailments similar to yours. As for the BMW, at least I can afford to buy one.

BTW - Didn't I introduce you to my ex-wife when we were buying a candy bar from you at the Kansas Union?

ben_ness 9 years, 1 month ago

What's up wendt, observer, and holygrailale - thanks for joining the party. Things have gotten a bit tense around here.

Observer - Definitely don't work at either of those places :) Although I heard Brownback has considered putting in his bid for '08. Can't wait to see how that pans out. I am sure he has Groenhagens vote.

Wendt - Good to see you here ;)