Archive for Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Common sense

February 15, 2006

To the editor:

Is there no room left for discretion and common sense? Apparently not; the Journal-World last week editorialized in favor of a bill (House Bill 2732) that would make it a crime to leave a child alone in a car, and the House approved the bill 79-40. When I drop off a package at a friend's house, I park in the driveway, turn the car off, take the package to the door, and am back to my children in the car within about 30 seconds. You cannot persuade me that this constitutes negligence, and yet this will now be a crime.

The bill calls for "a program of public education" about "the dangers of leaving young children unattended and unsupervised in motor vehicles." I applaud this portion of the bill, because such an education program could increase the public level of common sense on this issue, the lack of which (evidenced by leaving children alone in unlocked, running cars or leaving children alone in cars for long periods of time) has led to the perceived need of this new law.

Rachel Hile Bassett,

Lawrence

Comments

i_tching 8 years, 2 months ago

Anything can happen in 30 seconds. It is never wise to leave a child alone in a vehicle. It only takes a moment to unstrap the child and take them safely with you.

This is not a political issue.

kansaskev61 8 years, 2 months ago

If you choose to have children then you must forfeit your right to personal freedom. You should protect that child until it's 18. The first thought you have before doing ANYTHING is "How will this effect the kid"? It's not a dog. You can't just leave it alone in a car even for "less than 30 seconds". You have to be licensed to drive a car, shoot a gun, but any ^%$#@ can have a child. Let's license parenting!

rightthinker 8 years, 2 months ago

No Kodiac, I read my earlier post today at 1:41), you basically said the same thing I did in different words. I have posted before that Sebelius is a moderate liberal. Phil Kline is a d-bag from what little I've seen and heard of hem. I was born and raised in New England, have lived in Missouri for years, back to Connecticut and all aorund everywhere else and the only I live here is because my 2 kids live here with their lovely mother. I personally find KS to be very boring from all aspects. As far as politics go, again it is a mixed bag with no strong political bearing. If you're a Bush-hating Larrytown liberal or just hate Bush no matter where you live in KS, at least your someone I can argue with all day long.

Kodiac 8 years, 2 months ago

Hmmm back to the subject at hand,

I guess I was just thinking out loud with the real estate example. I still see Kansans as being anti-government overall and still see a "right-leaning" state here. Even the democrats that are elected here in Kansas have a tendency to be moderate or conservative in their actions and words. I would never consider Kathleen Sebilius a bleeding heart liberal. I think she has done well here in Kansas because her opposition generally leans too far to the right and she has always been viewed as a moderate who does not lean left. As far as Babbitt and idiots and libs vs cons, I think I will just leave that to you boys to play with. Kansas is a right-leaning state period. Come on guys, name a state that has an elected attorney general in the mold of Phil Kline. I rest my case. If you feel differently right thinker then please give us examples of this "proof"

rightthinker 8 years, 2 months ago

Who gives a s*** about another non-descript barren funky Kansas patch of weeds!! Babbitt is widely known for taking all the land he could possible grab and put it off limits. Babbitt is just another liberal SOB that thinks he can take away everybodys freedoms.

yourworstnightmare 8 years, 2 months ago

yourbestwetmare still cracks me up. Very funny.

yourworstnightmare 8 years, 2 months ago

The government doesn't own Tall Grass. It is "owned" by the private Nature Conservancy which will transfer the deed to the National Parks when the mortgage is completely paid.

P.S. rightthinker is an idiot.

rightthinker 8 years, 2 months ago

Prove me wrong on Babbitt, yourbestwetmare....come on buddy, you can do it!

yourworstnightmare 8 years, 2 months ago

Kodiac and Defender,

There is documented evidence that rightthinker is an idiot. The data are overwhelming. Rightthinker is an idiot.

P.S. Did I mention that righthtinker is an idiot? Did I mention it is well-documented that he is an idiot? BTW righthtinker is an idiot.

rightthinker 8 years, 2 months ago

Kodiac, I'm not certain about the Flint hills deal I admit, but as a general look back at this, Bruce Babbitt under the one and only Willy J. Clinton was after all the land he could get his hands on for parks, govt land, preserves what ever you want to call it. So you can thank the Clinton era for this pattern of sucking all the private land.

Kodiac 8 years, 2 months ago

Another trait that I find to be "right leaning" is the anti-government stance of most Kansans especially Kansans that live in rural areas. Kansans on the whole want limited government. One aspect of this anti-government stance can be seen in land ownership in the state of Kansas. We used to have the lowest ratio of government-owned land vs privately owned lands than any other state. It was something like 3% government owned land. That partly may be attributed to Kansas economy being mainly agriculturally based but there is definitely an overall attitude toward keeping the governent out of land ownership as the Nature Conservancy can personally testify to. The recent addition of the Flint Hills to a national park status was truly amazing considering the strength of the opposition against the government getting that land.

rightthinker 8 years, 2 months ago

No doubt that KS votes right for prez. And sad I as I am to admit it (and I've eluded to this in other postings) Kansans relate GWB to the religous right. That, in my opinion is where it stops basically. I think KS is a strange grab bag of politics and fiscally, you could fool me that KS is conservative, at best I'd say again, a strange grab bag type mix of politics. Here is the real kicker though, the average Kansan doesn't know enough about cons vs. lib to make a solid decision. Politics state by state are strange anyway; how did MA and NY and CA end up with Republican gov's?

Kodiac 8 years, 2 months ago

Rightthinker,

Maybe you will consider this to be too simplistic of analysis but I went to look at presidential election results for the state of Kansas and the last time a democratic nominee for US president won the state of Kansas was in 1916. Also if you look at the margin of victory for the republican nominee for president, you will find the state Kansas to have picked that nominee by a 2 to 1 ratio. Does that qualify as evidence for a right-leaning state or is that too simplistic and does not really show right leaning? My assumption is that if you are voting republican, you are most likely to be "right-leaning".

Defender 8 years, 2 months ago

rightthinker, I do believe if you pay attention to current world events, you will find that right wing extremists like you are on your way out. Also, I challenge you to prove that KS isn't a right leaning, conservative state. As far as libs not understanding politics, I couldn't say if you're correct or not, since I am not a lib. But, how many times have I had to tell you that? Either your reading comprehension sucks, or you just use the name 'lib' on everyone that disagrees with you. I believe it is probably both.

rightthinker 8 years, 2 months ago

by defender:

".....ignorant right wing fanatics."

This is why the dem party is slowly going extinct.

rightthinker 8 years, 2 months ago

I challenge the notion also that KS is a right leaning state. Just goes again shows libs don't understand politics.

Defender 8 years, 2 months ago

Idiotic response Pilgrim, so what's new? You darned well know this is a CONSERVATIVE state, so I would suggest this this is part of the spying, lying, in your personal business daily operation of the ignorant right wing fanatics.

Pilgrim 8 years, 2 months ago

"Aren't the current laws against child abuse and neglect sufficient for prosecuting cases that do in fact involve negligence? Do we need more laws managing the minutiae of our daily lives?"

Not in the looney left nanny state, Rachel.

Ragingbear 8 years, 2 months ago

Apparently, you do not understand the potential for a million different things to happen in that so-called 30 seconds. And we all know it is closer to 20 minutes.