Archive for Friday, December 22, 2006

Hoch memory

December 22, 2006

To the editor:

The afternoon I remember most was when the fluffy snow was falling and the brass ensemble was playing carols from the outdoor balcony at Hoch Auditorium. It was delightful on that Sunday afternoon.

Inside we were cozy as we sat down to enjoy the pageant. The choir walked down the two aisles singing "Hark the Harold Angels Sing" holding their lighted candles. They approached the steps, walked onto the stage and sat in chairs on either side of the stage. They blew out their candles and placed them under their chairs.

After singing a few songs, the lights went out and the curtains in the center of the stage opened to reveal the first live tableau of Mary, Joseph and the baby Jesus in the manger. After about five minutes, the curtain closed. The lights came up and the choir sang, accompanied by the organ.

The lights went out again, and the second live tableau was revealed, which was of the shepherds with their flocks and the star. Again after five minutes the curtains were closed and the lights came on. The choir sang more songs and the third tableau of the three kings was shown.

After five minutes, the curtains were closed and the choir lit their candles one by one. They walked off the stage and up the two aisles holding their lighted candles. We all sang "Joy To The World."

It was a beautiful tradition for many years. It was a meaningful experience.

Lauraine Mulally,

Lawrence

Comments

prioress 8 years, 7 months ago

My skygod can beat up your skygod....example, Iraq

Bruce Bertsch 8 years, 7 months ago

Its not the looney left, its a simple concept calling for the separation of church and state. KU is state owned. Did they also produce pageants for wiccans, Jews, Muslims, Hindus and others? Its not a desire to eliminate God from society, but to be sensitive to those who do not share the same beliefs by not having the state sponsor purely religious activities.

prioress 8 years, 7 months ago

"Harold" was one of the three wise men, I think. He brought a game boy for the youngin..........

Confrontation 8 years, 7 months ago

With all the money her son is making as the new leader of FORD, she could easily build a replica of Hoch, have a God concert, and get out of low-income housing.

daddax98 8 years, 7 months ago

"And was rebuilt. I'd be willing to bet you have no idea."

and you would be wrong. that there is a building in the place were Hoch used to be makes no diffrence. The new building is budig hall and holds none of the charm of the old building...which is what she misses no matter how much you want to spin it to meet your paranoid needs.

ilovelucy 8 years, 7 months ago

Confrontation: that is a disgusting remark. You should be ashamed of yourself for picking on a lovely old lady.

Obviously you don't know her.

daddax98 8 years, 7 months ago

"And still should be and would be if not for the looney left and its desire to eliminate God from our society. That the performance described is now merely a memory demonstrates just how far we have fallen."

didn't hoch burn down? maybe that is why it is discribed as "merely a memory" using your logic it was the will of God, by sending down that lighting bolt, that the concerts not continue

More ridiculous right paranoia

Confrontation 8 years, 7 months ago

ilovelucy: Actually, I have met her, and "lovely" is not a word I would use.

ilovelucy 8 years, 7 months ago

Confrontation: then you must have met her on an off day. I have known her for over 10 years and she's lovely, and a little wacky. The wackiness is what I find charming. She's old and I'm amazed she has the memory that she does.

daddax98 8 years, 7 months ago

no your paranoia is.

I think the article was expressing her memory of this particular event as it occured at HOCH so I guess venue is the issue.

daddax98 8 years, 7 months ago

Venue (or the loss there of) is the issue. I think that what made this special for her is the fact that it occured at this particular place there is no indication that this tradition was cancelled for any other reason then that that the place burned down. at least there was no indication until your paranoia took over your logical mind.

Venue is the issue, but I can understand how you would not want it to be. Very convenient for you

Confrontation 8 years, 7 months ago

ilovelucy: Obviously, you would have to be biased after 10 years. I know two others who share my opinion, and I'm sure that's just a start. Old doesn't mean nice (or honest).