Archive for Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Wage impact

December 12, 2006

To the editor:

OK, homeowners, do you want your property taxes to go up? This is exactly what will happen if a so-called enlightened group called Grassroots Action gets its way and the city commissioners pass a minimum wage ordinance for Lawrence. We are already a bedroom community because we don't have enough business and industry in Lawrence to provide jobs and take some of the property tax load off homeowners.

How many businesses and industries will want to come to Lawrence if they know there is a city minimum wage level higher than that imposed by the federal government? Lawrence is not so attractive that businesses will want to locate here anyway.

We could take a lesson from the city of Ottawa. Their property tax mil levy has been going down thanks to the foresight of their city leaders and the industry that has located there. One of those businesses was a company that we turned away.

Richard Bennett,

Lawrence

Comments

budwhysir 8 years, 8 months ago

Looks like us ordinary people have it figured out. I agree that there would not be talk of this unless there would be benifits for having a larger min. wage.

budwhysir 8 years, 8 months ago

The impact of wage is great. Our wage indicates the structure for taxation based on wage and is called income tax. Also for outgoing we have the later of outcome tax. The outcome always overshadows the income resulting in a delay or game for the savings accounts.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 8 months ago

I bet if Lawrence repealed the 13th amendment, businesses would rush in so quick that property taxes could be eliminated, don't you think, Richard?

budwhysir 8 years, 8 months ago

Bozo, you must comment on my great post. It cannot be overlooked.

budwhysir 8 years, 8 months ago

Allow me to put my spin on this, We seek out a job that will pay us wages that in turn we use to purchase a place to live. Upon buying the place to live, we are now locked into working every day to make payments. Come to the end of the year and we now must pay more taxes in order to make more money to cover the rising costs of buying a place to live. Maybe we should elect a grass roots effort to research the need for more taxes. We could fund this by raising our current tax rate

Linda Endicott 8 years, 8 months ago

Things are better in Ottawa? Really? I live in Ottawa, and I haven't noticed.

Property tax mill levies are going down? Then why are property taxes here still going up? Oh, wait...maybe it's because we're paying for a new elementary school...or maybe it's because we're still paying for the new middle school, several years after the fact...or the repair and improvements to the new addition to the high school, which was just built about fifteen years ago...(they can't even build a new school that will last 20 years, when castles in Europe have been standing for centuries...)

And all the while sales taxes keep going up and up...Ottawa and Franklin Co. have a tendency to pay for a lot of things through sales taxes.

My rent is going up next month because property taxes have gone up. So, if things are so great in Ottawa, why is this happening?

Maybe places shouldn't worry so much about tax abatements for businesses. Far too many of them move in, rake in the profit from no taxes, and then move on or dissolve before they ever have to pay any of those taxes...more than one community has been burned this way.

When was the last time a town or a county gave tax abatements to people, so they would buy more homes in an area?

budwhysir 8 years, 8 months ago

slappy meaning slow and happy right??

fletch 8 years, 8 months ago

When people make more, they spend more. It increases the city's tax base, creates more retail profit, and new investments in houses results in higher luxury tax returns for the city.

Increasing the minimum wage in a responsible and well thought out way benefits everybody.

Art 8 years, 8 months ago

Any business plan based on slave labor or poverty wages is not sound.

There is little benefit in drawing such businesses to our community.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 8 months ago

How does anyone want it? More dollars paying hard working people that keep them off of social services OR hard working people still needing social services thus demanding more tax dollars each and every year?

ThePoolBoy 8 years, 8 months ago

How about this... if a person can't afford to live in Lawrence, move someplace that is more affordable. Easier said than done, I realize. But, the concept is intact and valid. I know many people who work here but live in Topeka where you can get 40% more house for the money.

If I move to sunny L.A. California my wage potential would not rise to meet the increased living expense. So, should I expect the market to pay what I need to live in a specified area or should I take the more responsible initiative to live and work where I can afford the local standard of living?

Generally, the unskilled labor market jobs we're talking about here are available in most communities.

It's all about choices.

Six of one, 7 of another... (I'm a baker)