Archive for Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Tax grinch

December 6, 2006

To the editor:

How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Douglas County version:

'Twas the day before Thanksgiving and in our mailbox was the 2006 Real Estate Tax Statement. With the 34 percent increase in tax amount owed over 2005, the Christmas season has become very Scrooge-like; bah humbug!

While still smarting from unexpected income tax liabilities earlier in the year, we now have another unexpected huge increase to contend with in the real estate tax. The real estate appraisal increased 26 percent in one year, which is bizarre since only routine maintenance and repairs from the April hail damage have been completed.

Our paltry household income increased only about 2 percent over the same 12-month period. Cost cutting for unbudgeted expenses is continuously a way of life for our survival; taxing authorities should do so as well without gouging taxpayers.

The story of our 2006 will end bitterly, unlike the stories of the Grinch and Ebenezer Scrooge.

Rodney Carr,

Lawrence

Comments

KS 8 years, 4 months ago

You know, with the war on Christmas, the "libs" would rather you spend your money on taxes than presents for your family and friends. Must get used to this.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 4 months ago

Your situation is not unique. It seems a normal 3%- 4% increase would be acceptable. This is killing downtown small business as well.

Bedroom communities created by the real eastate industry = high taxes. Housing per se does generate enough revenue to cover the cost of community services that they generate.

Stephen Roberts 8 years, 4 months ago

Just really look at the tax statement. The largest increase on tax bill is for the school district.

The city, state and the county tax are a little than half of my taxes.

gr 8 years, 4 months ago

"Housing per se does generate enough revenue to cover the cost of community services that they generate."

I've found that which ever community it is, they usually want to attract new businesses, and new residents to "increase the tax base thereby lowering everyone elses' taxes". The race track going in was supposed to accomplish that, too. Now, the residents are complaining of higher taxes.

It's a fact of life: more people = higher taxes. Increased real estate values = higher taxes. Decreased real estate values = higher taxes to make up for the "loss".

Until representatives are held accountable, taxes will go up. The accountability their held to reflects the rate at which taxes go up. But then again, the tax payers want "wants" and are unwilling to give them up for lower taxes. Since the representatives are either no different than the people or follow the people's "wants", they will spend more than they have.

In government, there's always a ready supply - tax the people more! They won't do anything about it.

Stephen Roberts 8 years, 4 months ago

Actually, the people in Wyandotte County had THEIR taxes lowered but Douglas County didin't from what I thought I read in the news.

SpeedRacer 8 years, 4 months ago

Just try and sell your house for the assessed value.

gr 8 years, 4 months ago

I tried searching, but I couldn't find what I thought I read about Wyandotte county. This is about the best I found. Of interest is the history of increases. Remember this at election time.

deec 8 years, 4 months ago

When I lived in KCK, the real estate taxes doubled in 5 years (199-2004).

Confrontation 8 years, 4 months ago

I don't understand why some people are so obsessed with Christmas spending. Your kids don't have to have the newest D. Wade shoes, or the most expensive video Ipod. Try teaching something worthwhile at Christmas. Show them the real spirit of the holiday is about giving, rather than sitting on their butts in front of a new Xbox or Playstation. Also, show them your current tax bill and let them know how much Lawrence sucks (other than the KU men's basketball team--most of the time). Then, pack up your bags and move to a better city.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 4 months ago

yep, just sell your house and ditch all your friends and family...quit your career and move on....sounds frikin easy, eh? if i was alone i would probably move to los vegas....where a worker is treated as a valuable commodity....not a frikin slave like here in lawrence.

KS 8 years, 4 months ago

Commuter: I also own some property in Wyandotte County and believe me, they DID NOT go down. Keep going up each year.

LiberalDude 8 years, 4 months ago

Wow KS, how much property do you own? I'd be complaining about taxes too if I was rich and had a whole bunch of properties.

The supposed "War on Christmas" that you speak of is something that was made up by the sick mind of Rush Limbaugh as a scare tactic to make people vote Rebublican. Rush is full of BS.

budwhysir 8 years, 4 months ago

All i wanted for christmas was my tax bill. This comes as no surprise to me. Taxes go up just like everything else. I pay more for food, gas, electric, health care. Nothing surprises me.

Stephen Roberts 8 years, 4 months ago

KS- Are you talking about the total? Or only the part for the City/County?

My school taxes from real estate went up an average of 15 % over last year. My city, county, and state went up less than 6%.

blessed3x 8 years, 4 months ago

Get used to it, Baby. Your federal taxes are next. With Pelosi her happy crew of idiots you ain't seen nuthing yet!!

blessed3x 8 years, 4 months ago

Defender, we are currently bringing in some of the highest tax revenues this nation has ever seen and that isn't from increasing taxes. It's from lowering taxes, allowing for investment. Taking my hard earned money to pay for more social services will not lead to success and will ultimately harm the very people you are trying to help.