Archive for Thursday, August 24, 2006

Teenage driver crashes into house

August 24, 2006

Ralph Sanchez wasn't sure whether his house was shaking because of a thunderstorm or because someone was breaking in.

But when he looked outside, the answer became obvious.

"It turned out to be a car plowing into my home," Sanchez said, recalling the mayhem that occurred about 11:20 p.m. Tuesday.

Wednesday morning, he and his wife, Gina, worked to clean up some of the damage outside their rental house at 1321 Maverick Lane.

The car - a 1996 Chevrolet Camaro - didn't just strike the house. It also smashed into Sanchez's car parked along the street, a mailbox and a stop sign.

The stop sign was hit with such force it was sheared off and sent flying through the air, coming to a stop only after it was embedded in the roof of the Sanchez house.

Sanchez's car, a 1997 Buick Skylark, was heavily damaged and pushed into the yard. His garage door also was damaged where it was struck by the Camaro. Glass and other debris were everywhere.

The impact of a car hitting a stop sign sent it flying onto the roof of the home of Ralph and Gina Sanchez, 1321 Maverick Lane. The car also crashed into the house on Tuesday.

According to Lawrence Police, the Camaro was driven by Thomas Cole Parish, 16, of Lawrence. Parish lost control of the car as it approached the intersection of East 28th Terrace and Maverick Lane at a high speed, a police report said.

Parish was not hurt and got out of the car on his own, the Sanchezes and police said.

Gina Sanchez was sleeping when the accident awakened her.

"I was really shook up. My hands were shaking," she said.

Parish was issued a citation for driving faster than "reasonable and prudent," according to police. He was turned over to the custody of a parent.

6News staff contributed to this report.

Comments

Richard Heckler 8 years, 8 months ago

Looks like Mom and Dad are going to be digging even deeper to cover insurance premiums for the reckless driving son many years to come.

bmwjhawk 8 years, 8 months ago

What was the question the other day about 16 year-olds driving? I'm not sure about the entire group, but I think this particular idiot probably should hold off for awhile.

HA HA HA... I'm driving fast! I'm cool in a Camaro!!! Laugh, laugh, laugh...

Until you run over a kid. This fool is a moron, but he's the luckiest moron in the world that nobody was killed.

Loser.

jonas 8 years, 8 months ago

That's why you don't frick'n BUY, or let them DRIVE a Camaro! Or a Firebird, Corvette, Porche MR-2 etc. Kids drive poorly, in fast cars they drive poorly and fast. Start 'em off on a station wagon or a compact or something. Save the Camaro for a graduation present if you absolutely must buy them one.

I saw a girl in her late teens or early 20's the other day driving a '80's Ferrari Testerosa! BLAAARGH! And I know there's a mid 20's student with an Acura NS-X. Couple of idiot parents.

mom_of_three 8 years, 8 months ago

Maybe the vehicles are hand me downs. The camero is 10 years old, but it is still a camero.

laughingatallofu 8 years, 8 months ago

And actually, studies have shown (because my 16 year old researched this) that teenagers are safer in bigger cars than in smaller. And as we know, bigger cars tend to survive accidents better, therefore, the teenagers will survive. There were other things to consider also with a bigger car, also. It was a good article. <<<

Yeah, kids who don't know how to drive safely are safer in bigger cars, but pity the poor bum in a Honda Civic who gets hit by him/her.

countrygirl 8 years, 8 months ago

LJW--is that address right? I thought all the addresses on Maverick were in the 2000's.

reginafliangie 8 years, 8 months ago

What the heck was a 16yo doing out at 11:20 on a school night? Parents?????

trinity 8 years, 8 months ago

parents parents PARENTS!!! sigh

my kids all started their driving lives in anemic 4-cylinder buicks, heh...reliable cars, but just no real poop to 'em! ;)

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 8 months ago

save the speeding for the track that is what mine does.

laughingatallofu 8 years, 8 months ago

Esq2eB,

LOL, I love your dad's analogy. I believe it applies to other areas of life as well (including this forum---sometimes).

Everyone makes mistakes. This kid obviously did. I just hope that he learns something from this mistake. But, somehow

16 years old Driving a Camaro too fast at 11:20 PM On a Tuesday (school) night

I doubt it.

Rafael Sanchez 8 years, 8 months ago

No the address isnt correct its 1321 E.28th Terrace. It was my car that got hit.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 8 months ago

Does anyone else think that this kind of stuff needs to result in them immediately suspending his license for awhile??

BrianR 8 years, 8 months ago

No doubt a proud graduate of The Billy Joel Driving School.

Rafael Sanchez 8 years, 8 months ago

You would think so, but chances are it'll be a slap on the wrists.

mom_of_three 8 years, 8 months ago

Since teenagers driving and safety is such a big concern, just thought I would point out the safety issues with bigger cars. Some teenage accidents, such as this one, do not involve other cars.
In my experience as a teenager, if you put them in a car they are embarrassed to be in, (such as a large 15 year old Buick) they are less likely to be showing off in it.

laughingatallofu 8 years, 8 months ago

crazyks,

What are you implying?

In the recent Mel Gibson incident, Mel Gibson was drunk.

This kid was released to the custody of his parents immediately after the incident.

So, what's your point?

prioress 8 years, 8 months ago

"Kids drive poorly, in fast cars they drive poorly and fast." +++++++ Great point. Most kids don't "need" cars, they just want them. In a town as small as Lawrence, the "T" your legs or a bike will often suffice. If you must get a car for the kid, make it a slow, ugly clunker.

reginafliangie 8 years, 8 months ago

Better yet, young drivers would probably be more apt to take care of a car if they had to buy it, pay the insurance, tags, taxes and put gas it it. It's coming out of their pocket and maybe they would have more respect for the car and others around them if they were held more accountable. Plus, it teaches them to be responsible and that everything won't be handed to them, nice car or not.

Dale Stringer 8 years, 8 months ago

Cut all the trees in Lawrence down! I'm sure something gets damaged by a falling limb at least once a month in town. It's the same logic used here to stop giving licenses to 16 yr olds to drive.

Maybe if more tickets (with income-related fines) were issued, less people would speed.

Put up cameras with radar detecters everwhere and mail tickets to people and speeding would go down. And for all you who are going to complain about the privacy issue with a radar/camera ticket, you are on a public road. Pick your nose at home.

redneckwoman 8 years, 8 months ago

You don't let a teen drive a hot-rod! When I was younger my class mate's had a hot-rod or a truck. I had a 85 Ford Tempo & was just happy to have a car. I paid for it all by myself along with tags, insurance, gas, & maintence. I never wanted to ride the bus again so I took care of what I paid for. The only ticket I got in highschool was for expired tag's (2 month oops) & I paid for that too.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 8 months ago

Laughing, what's your problem?

While I may like some of Mel's movies, he certainly is NOT the poster child for safe driving now, is he?

Sandra Willis 8 years, 8 months ago

Good for you, redneckwoman - smiles My first car (in 1983) was a 1976 Mazda Mizer 808. Paid $400 for it ... it was a great car! bodan

Tychoman 8 years, 8 months ago

This totally wouldn't have made the newspaper if the driver was over 21. This article is age-biased.

egypt 8 years, 8 months ago

I actully use to live in that area (28th terr) Those streets are so windy and full of other cars parked in the street this kid has be an idiot for driving that fast, You never knew when another car was coming around the corner, or a kid or animal would be in the street. This kid was going to fast for this area or in general and hopefully his parents will take away his driving privledges, But with parents letting there kid drive a 1996 camaro at that time, they will prob just buy him a new car and send him on his way.

Tychoman 8 years, 8 months ago

Sorry if you didn't catch it Esq2eb but it was a joke. I was absolutely kidding and making fun of the LJW. My bad for not making it any clearer.

gphawk89 8 years, 8 months ago

Being a '96 Camaro has little if anything to do with it. How fast was he actually going when he hit the sign/mailbox/car/house? 50, maybe? 60? Even 70? 99% of the cars on the road today are capable of going that fast. Wouldn't have mattered if it was a brown 4-door '82 LeBaron - it would still be capable of causing the same damage. At 16 and 17, many of my classmates in high school had old muscle cars that were capable of going much faster than that, but I don't remember any of them hitting a sign/mailbox/car/house. Don't blame the car, blame the idiot driver.

laughingatallofu 8 years, 8 months ago

Just wondering if the driver knows how much publicity/discussion he caused.

Doubt it.

reginafliangie 8 years, 8 months ago

Oh yeah, I'm sure he's a hero at school. "Dude, check it out, that was me, wooooo".

bearded_gnome 8 years, 8 months ago

yes, returned to the custody of the same parent(s) who gave him a muscle car! duh.

now, besides losing his driving privileges for a time, they should require him to have only a Ford Fairlane, restore it, and that's his only car. now, that would keep him safe and teach him appreciation for the vehicle he drives. he should also be required to put in a whole boatload of hours, replacing signs, and helping restore that house and to make up for the car he totaled. then, when he's done with his community service, and is 32, and driving his fairlane, he'll probably be all right.

cat_soup 8 years, 8 months ago

I know Thomas Perrish. He's a good kid, but he made a mistake. I'm sure he'll learn from this one. He's not just some stereotypical 16 year-old driving in a fast car. Although in this situation, I suppose he was, so no matter what I say about the kid, you're going to stick to stereotypes anyway.

Isn't there a very special episode of some 80's sitcom about not making assumtions?

bearded_gnome 8 years, 8 months ago

assumptions? facts speak for themselves. right now, he's lucky ... and stupid. hope he does learn from this. that his doting parents don't make it all go away.

Rafael Sanchez 8 years, 8 months ago

Well just to update everyone we are waiting to hear from the Insurance company on how much they will total our car out for. Im sure it'll be chump change. Sucks cause we were not looking to take on a car payment anytime. Guess that's what i get for parking in front of my house so my wife can have a free driveway to leave from on the way to work.

Terry Jacobsen 8 years, 8 months ago

Love Mel Gibson. Love his movies. Hope he gets his heart right.

Rafael Sanchez 8 years, 8 months ago

Oh trust me we are thankful. That stop sign could have easily gone through our bedroom window instead of the roof. Or the car could have not taking the full blow and he could have come through the house.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 8 months ago

Rafael:

So, what did the kid say to you? "Oops"? What was your impression of him?

Rafael Sanchez 8 years, 8 months ago

His mother appologized for him. He seemed a little too concerned about his car, and really didnt seem to notice that he totaled ours.

Could have been the shock of the whole thing, or that he is like a lot of kids nowadays and doesnt really care about anyone but himself. Hard to tell. Honestly i didnt go anywhere near him seeing as i wasnt sure i could restrain myself if something stupid was said.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 8 months ago

well you are not hurt body wise just mental and financial so just keep plugging away and try to stay on the bright and happy side, not easy but try. Good luck with all the work ahead, I am very glad that you and your wife were not hurt, am glad the kid was not hurt, but it sounds like you and yours where in more danger than him.

Larry McGlinn 8 years, 8 months ago

He was turned over to the custody of his parents! I don't believe he had any! They must have been too concerned for his "self-esteem" to place any parental restrictions on his activities, especially on a school night! It sounds to me that they never had any custody of him.

aeroscout17 8 years, 8 months ago

Rafael,

As much as I hate to say it (although probably appropriate in this circumstance) there is always civil court to recoup your losses above and beyond the insurance. You might consider an attorney before you accept any settlements.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 8 months ago

a very bad sign...no remorse...no! I say: jail time, then suspended driving, service hours...maybe can teach this spoiled brat junior sociopath how to have a conscience, and have concern for lives he touched so crudely.