Archive for Friday, August 18, 2006

Wal-Mart walk

August 18, 2006

To the editor:

Oh, joy! A 99,840-square-foot synthetic behemoth of a Wal-Mart is proposed for Sixth and Wakarusa Drive. Hello? Have you studied demographics? Do you know that the majority of retirement facilities are west of Kasold Drive? Do you know how many seniors still drive (acceptably) and would welcome a Wal-Mart on the west side of town? Do you know how few of the elderly can enter the Boston Marathon to train for a stroll through the proposed Wal-Mart? Many of us can barely make it from one end of the Iowa Street Wal-Mart to the other without looking furtively for a place to rest our bones for a few moments.

Will the proposed building have an internal bus system? Moving sidewalks? Taxis? Will you have the good sense to put handicapped parking spaces adjacent to basket return areas - and close to the entrances?

If not, maybe, instead, you could build a covered sports arena large enough to accommodate NCAA/NBA playoffs as well as yet another Super Bowl. Maybe the Wheat Bowl?

Yeah. That's the ticket!

Barbara Paris,

Lawrence

Comments

lunacydetector 8 years, 9 months ago

that was what i was thinking, pilgrim. :)

countrygirl 8 years, 9 months ago

Aren't there older folks who go out to Target and walk "laps" around the store early in the mornings?

Ragingbear 8 years, 9 months ago

And this walmart was proposed years ago. It was only after many court proceedings that it was finally allowed.

And yes. Get a scooter. Or walk more so your muscles don't atrophy. And get those kids off your lawn.

blessed3x 8 years, 9 months ago

Sounds like the excercise could be just the ticket!

craigers 8 years, 9 months ago

I'm surprised this lady hasn't complained about malls not having an internal bus system. Please let's all get bigger and lazier as we get older.

BrianR 8 years, 9 months ago

Niles: I feel all hot. And foamy.

Martin: My Hot 'N Foamy must've exploded.

Daphne: He was a detective, you know.

mom_of_three 8 years, 9 months ago

I had to read this a couple of times to catch it all. And she does have a point. They are building this huge Wal-mart on the west side of town, near all the senior citizens, who would welcome a store on their side of town, if it wasn't so gosh darn big and ergonomically unfriendly to senior citizens.
I used to work at a department store in town, and seniors used to complain about the customer service department being located in the BACK of the store.
Maybe Walmart should build a smaller store near retirement homes with exactly what seniors shop for.

I DO see her point, and many of us will be having the same complaint in about 30 years.

reginafliangie 8 years, 9 months ago

My feeling is Walmart is trying to be consistant. Are they supposed to cater to certain demograhics because of the area of town they build in? Since we live in a college town maybe they should be stocking their shelfs with things that cater to students? Not reasonable. There are many family homes on the west side of town too. I think having benches in the stores is a good idea, for those who need to rest. And they do offer those little scooter driven baskets for the people unable to walk long distances. I think they are trying to accomidate everyone. But lets face it. Nobody is going to be happy about certain things no matter what. Let 'em gripe, if they don't have better things to do with their time.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 9 months ago

that is what handicap parking is for.....USE THEM PEOPLE!!! I swear on odins left testicle that I will start parking in them if I do not see them being used.

Tychoman 8 years, 9 months ago

Man sitting in grassy interpetive area: "Dear Wal-Mart, thanks for making these sidewalk people-movers. I interpret them as yet another favor you give back to the community after destroying neighborhoods and small businesses and costing my town tens of millions in lawsuits. You made it that much easier for me to be hoodwinked by your savvy business policies."

Wal-Mart: destroys neighborhoods and all that is good and decent in the world No problem. Anytime. Really. I'll probably do it again. No problem.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 9 months ago

so, I'm reading Barbara's LTE, ... and, is somebody putting a gun to her head saying "you go to wal-mart, or else!"
sounds like she could use some walking, for the exercise, and the psych benefits.
barb, just chill out a lil.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 9 months ago

so I take it she does not like the walmart and that she thinks it is to big to walk around?? Right?

Tychoman 8 years, 9 months ago

Pretty much, momma. She's complaining about inefficient Wal-Marts tend to be in terms of design and practicality and all-around goodness.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 9 months ago

ok thanks tychoman just kinda hard to make out. And I thought I had a hard time making sense.

Confrontation 8 years, 9 months ago

Hey Barbara, I'd recommend Bert Nash as a place to get your mental health needs evaluated.

Godot 8 years, 9 months ago

Barbara is probably conjuring up fond memories of the time when she could call the grocer with a list of needed items, and have her goodies delivered. Those were the good old days.

mztrendy 8 years, 9 months ago

I love those new and expecting mother parking spaces at Hyvee. They rock.

acg 8 years, 9 months ago

They do rock mztrendy. They were a God-send to me and one of the main reasons I do most of my shopping at Hy-Vee now. Other businesses should follow suit. (Oh, btw, new and expectant mother doesn't mean you should park there if your kid is 2). As for the LTE, this chica sounds like my mother (if I didn't know any better I'd think it was her). She complained when she had to run all over town to buy the things she needed each week. I could hear her now "They should put all of this crap, plus food in the same store so I don't have to drive all over creation....blah blah blah) and then boom, they started building the big box stores on every corner. Now she whines because the stores are too big and she's in there for two hours. Some folks are just impossible to please. Makes me miss my mommy. :)

Tychoman 8 years, 9 months ago

I tried to take it as a sarcastic letter but it went way overboard. It would have been funny if she mentioned a parking shuttle, though. Wal-Mart Park and Ride. The Wal-MarT.

Ken Miller 8 years, 9 months ago

Here's the solution:

Barbara becomes a greeter; she gets a discount to shop there. She also gets first dibs on a shopping scooter each morning.

I bring people together.

dviper 8 years, 9 months ago

Pilgrim's first posting at 4:22 AM hit the nail on the head.

Some other thoughts:. The new Wal-Mart will be at least 50% smaller than the Iowa Street Wal-Mart. I wonder, if knowing this fact would make Barbara happier and less fatigued?

I wonder what Barbara thinks about the proposed 'new urbanism' development that will be built across the street (Wakarusa) from Wal-Mart. That design specifically promotes walking and has very limited parking, and the commercial / retail space size is greater than the Wal-Mart project. Because of the high density of the new urbanism project, maybe Barbara should get a customized scooter with people pusher guards on it, so she can force her way through the crowds? That way she can use it at Wal-Mart in their crowded and cramped over-stocked merchandise isles too.

Ken Miller 8 years, 9 months ago

I've often considered a career in the foreign service. But then I realized that helping lazy people maneuver through Mega-Lo Mart is a lot easier than trying to charm Hezbollah.

Tychoman 8 years, 9 months ago

"They're coming to get you, Barbara....."

classclown 8 years, 9 months ago

Posted by reginafliangie (anonymous) on August 18, 2006 at 8:48 a.m. (Suggest removal)

======================================

Actually Walmart does cater to demographics. The one here does cater more to the student body than others. Go to the one in Ottowa or Olathe and you will see a wider range of goods that are not student specific.

The ottowa area is a big area for those that hunt and fish. Go check out their hunting and fishing supplies.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by mztrendy (anonymous) on August 18, 2006 at 11:49 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I love those new and expecting mother parking spaces at Hyvee. They rock.

======================================

Those signs are nothing new. I remember seeing them 12 years ago at stores in Overland Park.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As for Barbara. How about Walmart gets built like a carousel so she and others can simply stand in one place while the store rotates and brings what she needs to her.

mztrendy 8 years, 9 months ago

swbsow, I know they aren't new. I didn't really say they were. They were around when I was pregnant with my daughter. Who is now 4. But now that I'm expecting again, I can use them again.

mztrendy 8 years, 9 months ago

But incase you aren't understanding my post they are called

NEW AND EXPECTING MOTHERS PARKING

you guys get it now?

classclown 8 years, 9 months ago

Well then those ARE new because it used to be just "expecting" mothers. However, if new moms are allowed to park there, why not new dads?

Discrimination I say!

mztrendy 8 years, 9 months ago

I definiately needed them more once I was a new mom, as opposed to an expecting mom. It seems as though my hands were full after that.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 9 months ago

how 'bout special parking spots for "mother wannabes?" could be in darkly lit area of lot?

GardenMomma 8 years, 9 months ago

I think it's a sign that your store is too big when your store stockers need to use roller skates to get from one end of the store to the other and it still takes them five minutes or longer.

Tychoman 8 years, 9 months ago

I wonder how many zipcodes this store will have. Own area code maybe? 800 number?