Archive for Friday, August 18, 2006

School taxes

August 18, 2006

To the editor:

The school system has become a monster whose appetite for funding cannot be appeased. The school board needs to change the focus of teaching to education instead of sports training grounds for college and professional sports.

For example, one of our high schools played baseball using the Youth Sports fields. Their own field was built, which is now lighted with an electronic scoreboard. Junior high schools have tennis courts.

A firm was hired prior to the bond issue to tell the school board what was needed to upgrade the Lawrence schools. By promoting the bond issue, they were paid millions after it passed. If they did the job they were paid to do, why was it necessary for the school board to raise the mill levy almost 6 mills right after the bond issue passed. Now they want to raise the mill levy more than 6 mills again. All in a space of two years.

Homeowners have to live within budgets in making repairs and improvements. We have to decide, can we afford it and is it needed? So should the school board.

I have some questions for the school board. How much land, building space and time is spent teaching leisure time activities (sports)? Can some be cut - tennis courts at junior highs? How are lower-income homeowners and seniors (10 percent of Lawrence population) going to pay more property taxes when they are pushed to the limit now? Being overtaxed created this country; is it time for another revolution?

Scott Henderson,

Lawrence

Comments

lunacydetector 8 years, 4 months ago

....and if you take out the 'virtual school,' don't the enrollment numbers go down?

MWIV 8 years, 4 months ago

Again, you have educators in charge of a business. Oxymoron?

aeroscout17 8 years, 4 months ago

I think I'll just be like the school districts; I am spending outside my means so I am going to go to my boss and demand that he pay me more money. It works for them so why wouldn't it work for me?

mom_of_three 8 years, 4 months ago

It has been shown that athletics are important for schools - build confidence, school spirit, involvement, competition, etc. It keeps grades up for some, and interest in others, and enables others to look at college as an future option.

BOE 8 years, 4 months ago

" Being overtaxed created this country; is it time for another revolution? "

===

More accurately, "Taxation without Representation!", and even then, only in part.

Tony Kisner 8 years, 4 months ago

I think we need to look into the whole tennis court issue. I have believed for years that the school board was in the tennis net maker's pocket. That lobby has become very powerful.

Come to think of it what about the tetherball poles, yeah those too, and drinking fountains, pork spending at it's worst.

By god in my day all we needed was a stick and a rock. Or if we couldn't find them we would just stand around looking at each other. Punk kids are getting soft. Next think you know is they are going to cut back on my social security pay check and I won't have any money to go to the river boats with.

Godot 8 years, 4 months ago

I think it is a big mistake for the school board to increase the mill levy to the maximum allowed in the first year, especially without justification and so soon on the heels of the big bond issue. I guess these board members aren't concerned about being re-elected. Maybe this is their "cry for help."

old_man 8 years, 4 months ago

Don't just sit there and grip about it people... show up at the next board meeting and voice your concerns.