Archive for Saturday, August 12, 2006

Money-savers

August 12, 2006

To the editor:

Our city commissioners and planners need to put issues that involve raising city taxes to a vote by the taxpayers! I'm tired of our city leaders' irresponsible spending of our tax dollars! This town is becoming impossibly high to live in; you've got to stop giving in to every individual that wants something extra paid for by the city.

The schools keep asking for more money, yet people from Texas, California and almost any state in the south will tell you education in our schools is much better than they have. We have fewer students, too. Instead of building fancy new schools that we pay architects a fortune to design, use the same basic blueprint for all schools, like we did in the '60s.

Didn't we learn anything from South Junior High? They had to have a fancy round school that never worked. Now the taxpayers are footing the bill to replace it. And sell the old schools and fire stations that close; the taxpayers don't want to pay for another city office or school board office. Get some of our money back by selling them; we don't want to pay the utility bills on them!

And a lot of the street repairs wouldn't be needed if the city would stop using salt on the streets; they make concrete-friendly mixes with sand that wouldn't eat up the streets and curbs! Try chip-and-sealing more streets, like on Kasold to save money, instead of grinding the street and putting down new asphalt; that'd save a fortune.

Mary Chaney,

Lawrence

Comments

Marion Lynn 7 years, 8 months ago

Uh, Mom..............

Stopping teenage drinking and teenage drug use is up to the PARENTS, not the taxpayers.

I AM a parent ane better acquaninted with the problem than I would like to be.

Kids do drugs?

Kids drink?

Get busy PARENTS!

I did.

Not that it worked real well but the plan is NOT within the pervue of the GOVERNMENT!

Thanks.

Marion.

mom_of_three 7 years, 8 months ago

Stop the teenage drinking and drugs. I think every city and town in the country would agree with that one. Not just a Lawrence problem.

mom_of_three 7 years, 8 months ago

The "round" school was popular architecture in the 60's.
My hometown junior high was built exactly the same way, and it is still in use, with only a small addition added about 10 years ago.
I don't think it was the shape of South Junior High which required the replacement, but the fact that the school is bursting at the seams. Building an addition wasn't feasible, because the addition would be bigger than the main school building. Central Junior High is older, as it was the original high school, and shouldn't be torn down since it is part of local history.

Marion Lynn 7 years, 8 months ago

Merrill:

The world is not going to end, the sky is not going to fall and we are not going to bunch up like ants in a burrow because of rising oil prices.

Oil prices will soon fall anyway and with the improvement in hybrids and increased oil and alternative fuel production there will be no reason to cluster like bees in a hive to suit the "Progressive" and "Smart (Read:"Dumb") Growth" agendas.

Empty buildings cost bundles to maintain so sell the things and use the money for better purposes.

Thanks.

Marion.

Speakout 7 years, 8 months ago

When I moved here 6 years ago I was happy with what was happening in growth and expansion of the city. But I have seen so much waste it is pathetic. It seems that everything is done for the students but the students are the ones who violate laws and keep the police hopping every weekend.

Time to stop the insanity and start to serve the people who pay. Fix roads, but stop building costly round abouts, they are a driving menace. I know they slow down trafic but they are too expensive for that purpose.

Arrest the speeders. Throw them in the slammer. Stop the teenage drinking and drugs. Plan our schools better and stop giving tax abatements.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 8 months ago

I would be hesitant in selling off school buildings for they will be necessary as families stay closer to town due to high gas prices.

The street repair patterns are somewhat a mystery.

Raising a special tax for street repairs seems a bit anxious. This is a problem of neglect since about 1987 to 2002. Since the problem was not created overnight the problem cannot fixed over night. I say implement a 5 year plan with existing revenues and do the best that can be done. New streets will cater to speeding drivers so perhaps our current street conditions are a blessing in disguise.

Barclay 7 years, 8 months ago

I couldn't agree more. Most Government spending is near-sighted, reckless, and irresponsible. I have never figured out why Lawrence tax-payers have not revolted over the South Junior High debacle!