Archive for Friday, August 4, 2006

Money trough

August 4, 2006

To the editor:

The city needs money. The school district needs money. The hospital needs money. And the library needs not money, but $50 million! And none pay real estate taxes.

Well, guess what? We, who have to pay for those outstretched hands, need money.

Has it ever occurred to the five city commissioners and others in this trough-feeding town that soon there will be no more private employers of substance paying real estate taxes and those who are privately employed are slowly leaving the community? Where then will the trough feeders get their nourishment?

Of course, the Chamber of Commerce ran off the casino. And how many more businesses have been run off that we haven't heard about?

A sales tax. Hmm ... great? Maybe, but not likely. All it will do is add more to our electric bills, gas bills and whoever is in line at the trough.

Aquila gets $144 a year off the top from everyone with a $12 monthly customer service charge, and they told me they have 31,000 customers. Quite a racket they have going. Then there is Westar, used to be Kansas Power and Light. Guess they were ashamed to have Kansas in their name.

As one would suspect, the mill levy cannot be raised because then those in the over $300,000 homes would begin to feel the pinch as those in the under $200,000 homes have been.

If you wake up in the morning and feel something itching, check to see if it isn't a rat gnawing away to get the last drop of milk from you.

David Holroyd,

Lawrence

Comments

prioress 8 years, 4 months ago

The "college kids" pay property taxes. It's part of their rent.

lunacydetector 8 years, 4 months ago

unfortunately, lawrence is stigmatized as an anti-business city. i bet a million dollars the state of kansas steers companies away from our town -because of all the kooks, and the red tape.

i sure hope we have a more conservative and fiscally responsible pro-business revolution. surprisingly, the chamber of commerce is keeping mum on the proposed sales tax increase - i thought they were supposed to look out for businesses. their silence says a lot.

lepchun 8 years, 4 months ago

This is what I have been saying all along and guess what we moved out of Lawrence, my husband was born and raised in Lawrence and we are in our 50's. If it wasn't for the college this town would be just like St. Joe and other small towns just taxing everyone out and turning it into a dried up city with no jobs. What about all the college kids where is their property tax to help out? They live here raise the sales tax everyone buys.

lepchun 8 years, 4 months ago

Will ok I will give you that one. So whats the answer just keep taxing us to death, when does it stop? Why is it in the small town I moved to it seems like school expenses are cut in half, I'm just trying to figure out why everyone one wants more money but no one stops to think that at some point the pocket is empty. My job keeps getting more expenses which means I don't get a raise which means I don't have money to pay my electricity, water, etc, and believe me I have budgeted as low as I can get, I feel sorry for those who are elderly and living on a fixed income, you work all your life so that someone can come take it away. I know boo hoo, but just wait it will happen to all.

Speakout 8 years, 4 months ago

Straighten out your underwear, rightthinker, this is not a liberal vs conservative battle. It is a battle of taxation, the same kind of thing Americans have been fighting since colonialism.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 4 months ago

mini vegas out there where farmland used to be, no major traffic downtown and maybe some money for douglas county and lawrence with out more taxes, mil levy increases.

prioress 8 years, 4 months ago

COMMENTS: Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago and there was prosperity, absolutely no national debt, the largest middle class in the world and Mom stayed home to raise the kids. ++++++ Some truth to that, no doubt. Of course, many of the taxes you cite couldn't exist because the technology didn't exist either. We need a "conversation" about: 1. What do we want society to "provide." 2. What will it cost? and 3. How will be pay for it? PS: IF the answer to #3 is, "That's too expensive," then return to #1 and shorten the list. Frankly, many who brag about their "independence" are using many public services; they just don't like the ones others (who obviously don't deserve it) are receiving.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 4 months ago

man i wanted the casino....I would hang out there everytime we had a homegame....Of course I think there should be a roulette table in every bar.

dviper 8 years, 4 months ago

Pilgrim - Good post. For anyone who's ever owned their own business, there are alot more taxes and fees at every level of government from local, to state, to federal.

Additionally, the Lawrence city commission is considering a new annual business tax (fee).