Archive for Friday, August 4, 2006

E-mail campaign

August 4, 2006

To the editor:

Over the past week I have received three unsolicited e-mails addressed to my Kansas University e-mail address from an organization calling itself "Kansans for Truth in Politics."

The e-mails and Web site attacked moderates such as Gov. Sebelius, Sandy Praeger, and Ron Thornburgh, solely because they do not give priority to extreme pro-life views. Happily, all but one of the candidates "K-TIP" endorsed in the primary election were defeated.

But I'm concerned about an organization so well-organized and funded that it could target individual e-mail accounts. And, even more important, as others have noted, Kansans need to understand that personal beliefs and advocacy of lawful policies - however abhorrent to those holding different views - must not be a litmus test for their holding public office. Last time I checked we had not become a theocracy.

Ted Wilson,

Lawrence

Comments

mom_of_three 8 years, 11 months ago

My KU email spam blocker works just fine.

lunacydetector 8 years, 11 months ago

i keep getting spammed by dennis moore. i try to block his emails but i get them anyway. what's up with that, that he should be so well-organized and able to overcome my spam blocking programming and i'm not even a registered democrat? i'm sure i am in some way paying for his efforts to campaign on my taxpaying nickel.

crono 8 years, 11 months ago

"But I'm concerned about an organization so well-organized and funded that it could target individual e-mail accounts."

Considering the deluge of spam I get in my KU e-mail account day after day after day, I don't think an organization has to be that well organized or funded to send it out and get through KU's all-too-weak spam filters. (And they're probably not "targeting"---they're probably just blanketing many campus e-mail addresses).

Spamming is hardly proof that we are a "theocracy," no more than it is proof that millions of Nigerian bank accounts are just waiting to be emptied into the pockets of willing foreigners.

KayCee 8 years, 11 months ago

Ted calls them moderates, I say they tend to be liberal. And "priority to extreme pro-life views" is in his view, because we want them to follow the straight morals this country has abanded.
Now the three mentioned by name all won for the most as incumbants, but don't tell me; "Kansans need to understand that personal beliefs and advocacy of lawful policies - however abhorrent to those holding different views - must not be a litmus test for their holding public office." Those beliefs have a LOT to do with the laws passed/supported, and I will use them to decide my vote. Not all laws on the books are for the good of society.

crono 8 years, 11 months ago

KayCee, I agree with you. It is quite arrogant of the writer of this LTE to tell me how I should and shouldn't decide to cast my vote---especially when it sounds like Ted Wilson probably uses a candidate's views on abortion as a "litmus test" for how he votes.

sarahkatheryn 8 years, 11 months ago

"especially when it sounds like Ted Wilson probably uses a candidate's views on abortion as a "litmus test" for how he votes."

Don't you just HATE IT when people do that?! I know those single issue people drive me batty!

crono 8 years, 11 months ago

Sarah... no, in fact, that wasn't what I was saying. The point I was trying to make was that, in our country, people are free to choose how to vote in whatever way they please. If someone, according to the dictates of his or her conscience, feels that a single issue is so important that it weighs extremely heavily in how they vote, they are free to do so, and I for one will not tell them that they are "wrong" for doing so.

Terry Jacobsen 8 years, 11 months ago

You calling them moderates doesn't make it so either.

They are liberal in relation to the party that they affiliate themselves with. Last I knew the Republican party platform had a pro-life clause in it. These people all stand against pro-life causes, that makes them not conservative (agreeing with party guidelines and platform), but liberal (parting from the status quo). I know I'm not Bill Clinton, but I can read the dictionary.