Eudora should have a new swimming pool by this time next year.
And by 2008, the city's new sports and recreation center should be open next to it, City Administrator Cheryl Beatty said Tuesday after learning voters had approved a referendum for the $3.8 million complex.
"That is excellent for the community. It is desperately needed," Beatty said.
Unofficial vote totals from Tuesday's primary election showed 535 "yes" votes for the pool and recreation center while 325 people voted "no."
Eudora residents will pay for the complex with a 20-year debt service on general obligation bonds issued by the city. It will be paid off with a half-cent sales tax and up to 3 mills of property taxes. A mill is $1 per $1,000 of assessed valuation.
The city has no central recreation center and gym space is limited. The existing pool was built in 1975.
Get the numbers
"Our pool has basically failed," Beatty said. "We had to close it six times this year just because of the failure of the equipment to handle things. It's happening on a more regular basis."
Mayor Tom Pyle credited mothers of young children who campaigned for the referendum.
"They worked hard and got out there and walked the streets and went door to door," Pyle said.
Election 2006 - Kansas races
More on the 2006 Elections in Kansas
- 6News video: Low turnout may result in new primary election date (08-30-06)
- 6News video: Candidate speaks at university forum (08-30-06)
- 6News video: Evolution supporters will hold board majority (08-02-06)
- 6News video: Snag-free night for primaries (08-02-06)
- 6News video: County puts new voting machines to test (08-01-06)
- 6News video: Praeger holds up over opponent (08-01-06)
- Low turnout prompts call for new primary date (08-31-06)
- Publisher blasts candidate for illegally stuffing newspapers (08-04-06)
- Election hailed as pro-evolution (08-03-06)
- New voting machines perform well on first test (08-03-06)
- Barnett wins GOP bid to take on Sebelius (08-02-06)
- Voter turnout among lowest in memory (08-02-06)
- Eudora takes plunge on pool (08-02-06)
- Praeger prevails in 'negative' contest (08-02-06)
- Primary election results
- See how the voting went in select races
- Campaign finance reports
- Statewide office
- Board of Education
- Election 2006 - Kansas races