Archive for Saturday, April 29, 2006

Sporting conduct

April 29, 2006

To the editor:

On April 20, Bishop Seabury Academy's girls soccer team won a match by forfeit when Flint Hills Christian School was told to leave the field by their coach after hearing inappropriate language from a Seabury player.

This is what occurred following the game.

Bishop Seabury Academy's Head of School, Chris Carter, and Seabury's coach, Gunar Harmon, apologized to the visiting coach and met with the Seabury team and the offending player.

Unsportsmanlike behavior, in any form, is not tolerated by our school. In fact, throughout our brief history, our acts of sportsmanship have many times been pointed out by our competition, referees and coaches. We have very high expectations for our students and our athletes. Clearly, they were not met on the soccer field on April 20.

As per our athletic policy, the player has been suspended from the team for a minimum of one match. Any further suspension time depends upon that particular player and her actions. I would expect her to do the following: To contact Flint Hills Christian and apologize to their coach and players, to address her teammates and to address the student body and speak to her coach, athletic director and head of school. Ultimately, it is I, as the athletic director and the adult, that must take the responsibility for this behavior.

For those of you that witnessed it and for those of you that read about it, accept my apologies as the director of athletics for our school. Let me assure it was not the Seabury way and we will always strive to do better.

Brian Clyne,

Bishop Seabury Academy

Comments

classclown 8 years, 8 months ago

Why not have her shot? What did she say? Did she take the lord's name in vain? She said something bad and was suspended for a game. What more does she have to do to pay penance? Maybe she can join that Mr. Ortiz from LHS in issuing a public apology.

I'm not from around here. I grew up in a city and have lived in cities most of my life, so I don't have the small town mentality like you all do around here. So I guess rudeness and less than stellar language doesn't shock me like it does all you folks. All I have to say is that you people here in the land that time forgot really need to grow thicker skin. Or don't ever leave. They'll eat you alive.

Ragingbear 8 years, 8 months ago

Oh boo, friggin hoo. Grow some skin. Talking trash is part of every sport. Just because you somehow think that kids should be raised in a sterile environment where they can't see any of the bad stuff, or any of the real stuff in the world today actually shows that you are more interested in image than preparing them for reality.

All of you, get your head our of the orifice down under.

ouroboros 8 years, 8 months ago

If you're so sorry, Seabury - give up the forfeit! You won because the whiny coach from the other school had his/her team walk off in protest of your player's trash talk?

The apology seems hollow if you still claim the win.

mefirst 8 years, 8 months ago

I agree with the coach. Anyone who has spent more than a nanosecond in a public school knows that many kids have absolutely NO RESPECT for adults or themselves. I'm not religious, but I firmly believe that kids must demonstrate restraint and respect and that adults today are failing miserably at teaching their children how to do that.

Classclown, the willingness to tolerate disrespect from teenagers does not equal thick skin. And, being able to spew foul language does not make you tough...ever heard the bark's worse than the bite aphorism?

classclown 8 years, 8 months ago

That's my point exactly mefirst. There is no need to get all emotional and cry about it when it happens.Let them say what they want, shrug, and get on with your life.

betty 8 years, 8 months ago

Really, isn't the suspension enough? It seems that you are taking this a little too far. We're talking about a child, right? A teenager who used a curse word. Wow, I would have had an entire page dedicated to me if I had letter to the editor every time I did something wrong. Get a life and leave the poor kid alone!