Archive for Sunday, April 23, 2006

6 arrested, 4 injured in brawl at Lawrence night club

April 23, 2006

A late-night brawl inside a downtown Lawrence night club sent at least six people to jail and another four to the hospital.

The fight broke out inside Abe & Jake's Landing, 8 E. 6th St., around 1 a.m. this morning.

Sergeant Mark Warren with the Lawrence Police Department said the incident occured inside the bar and at least four people went to the hospital with lacerations. At least six others were arrested on charges of disorderly conduct, Warren said.

The crowd was "less than cooperative," according to Warren.

It's the latest in a string of incidents at the downtown Lawrence night spot.

Just last weekend, a 22-year-old Topeka man was arrested on aggravated assault charges after pulling a handgun on another man in the parking lot following an altercation inside.

Abe & Jake's Landing

Comments

bearded_gnome 7 years, 12 months ago

if he's yelling, aren't you glad you DON'T LIVE NEXT DOOR!!!!

note that Abe and Jake's is advertising for janitorial staff: must be proficient with industrial vacuum, and know how to operate an AK47 in the dark. proficiencies should also include cleanup of: blood, brain matter, and drunken puke. applicants should appreciate working in a democrat/liberal friendly environment full of sweetness light and love. please no walkins, but illegals apply in back.

horrific_changeling 7 years, 12 months ago

Someone go to that man's house and break that caps/shift key!

bthom37 7 years, 12 months ago

jafs

That just means people will start drinking earlier. How about we employ the 'not be a moron' solution first.

macon47 7 years, 12 months ago

HEY MAN IF YOU ARE DRUNK WHAT DIFF DOES IT MAKE ?

jafs 7 years, 12 months ago

I would suggest that if all bars and clubs, especially the downtown ones where the violence seems most likely, were to close at 12am, Lawrence would become a much safer city in which to live. And it does seem that a high percentage of these violent incidents involve people who don't live in Lawrence.

horrific_changeling 7 years, 12 months ago

Sounds at bit like Branch Davidians, David Koresh.

Terry Bush 7 years, 12 months ago

"A walled and gated city. Now that's a new urban concept. Which was, actually, quite popular at one time to keep out Barbarians and other threatening undesirables. Wonder why that passed out of favor..." "r a moat....??? "

Read "The Parable of the Sower" by Octvia Butler for a look at the future. A world where each cul-de-sac or neighborhood is on its own gate/wall/moat and the denizens inside are heavily and well armed. Where if you want police, fire, ambulance or other services, you pay for them (dearly). A place where going to grocery store doesn't happen; you grow or raise what you need, or go out to steal from others. Cause at the rate we're going - economically as well as socially (note - being on a board like this seems to bring out the uncivilized side of some), we are all going to live to see a world where each person's life is only as safe/good as the walls they have around their home.

Sigmund 7 years, 12 months ago

ROFLMAO, of course you are right. I'm so embarrased!

Why do all the KC/Topeka young bucks come to Lawrence to rut? Because of all the hot young Lawrence coed ..... umm, open-minded, multi-partner, sexually active, females.

howard_beale 7 years, 12 months ago

Ah, Sigmund, that would be "rut".

Runt is a small person or animal.

justanothervoice 7 years, 12 months ago

"And as usual, the fight involved/was started by somebody from KCK."

*Where did it say it was started by someone from KCK? Did I miss that part of the article?

Sigmund 7 years, 12 months ago

Why do all the KC/Topeka bucks come to Lawrence to runt? Because of all the hot Lawrence girls ..... ummm, winning personalities.

Kyle Rohde 7 years, 12 months ago

Check out the Kansan story on the fight. For once, they got a better scoop than the LJW. And as usual, the fight involved/was started by somebody from KCK. I know it keeps starting arguments on here but the fights in Lawrence happen at the bars where KCK/Topeka people hang out. How often do you hear about violence at The Hawk, the Wheel, Yacht Club, the Ranch, Louise's Downtown? Never - because the people from KCK/Topeka hang out at A&J's, Brother's, Bottleneck, and Granada. Drunk frat boys/sorority girls may be annoying but they rarely end up in brawls like this.

Drew_Carey 7 years, 12 months ago

Classclown..snickering here. Hope you remembered to pick up your points.

Leandra Galindo 7 years, 12 months ago

I know one thing that there is not enough security when people are outside waiting in line and most of them are scuffling and cutting in line and so forth. And I think that it is more a safety issue, something needs to done.

classclown 7 years, 12 months ago

Posted by Drew_Carey (anonymous) on April 23, 2006 at 11:09 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Everyone is in such fine form this morning were going to have to get 50 pts for EVERY post on the board.

Curious about the "afred" person...and can we use forms of the word elite twice in one post? Is that allowed? I thought this was elite free Sunday! I was giving him the chance he might be kidding, but the afred name gives me shivers down my brokeback. Gotta keep those fred supporters outta Lawrence! =======================================

Maybe the word "elite" is today's word on his word a day calendar.

classclown 7 years, 12 months ago

Posted by afred (anonymous) on April 23, 2006 at 10:36 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Hey -- lets all take on an elitist attitude toward the citizens of our neighboring capitol city from whence the problem may or may not be coming. I'm not sure of the EXACT solution to the increased number of violent incidents downtown, but personal displays of elitism and snobbery is SURELY a step in the right direction. Good job all.

Not everyone from Topeka or K.C. come to cause problems. However I think if a certain element from those locations keep coming here and causing problems then we need to make sure that the things that attract them do not occur here. Much like you make sure not to have crumbs lying around so as not to attract cockroaches.

rightthinker 7 years, 12 months ago

Why is a bar fight making news anyway...think about it. How many have we all seen in our lives, I've got a scar over my left eye from some "weekend cowboy" I'd never spoken to; didn't know from Adam, he thought his sweetie was looking at me or something, I never really figured out why, and who cares........BFD, I was so hammered I didn't know how bad it was until my shirt starting turning red.

delta77 7 years, 12 months ago

I remember the drinks being quite stiff there when I was underage... maybe it's changed in four years though

Marion Lynn 7 years, 12 months ago

Bozo wrote:

"Posted by just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (anonymous) on April 23, 2006 at 1:03 p.m. (Suggest removal)

The adults are getting annoyed, Marion."

Marion writes:

Bozo, if you are annoying so many folks, you should get on your bus and on down the road!

And take the now discreditied "Progressives" with you!

Thanks.

Marion.

dream 7 years, 12 months ago

Ahhhh, Abe and Jakes, where the underage enjoy watered down drinks and fights occur weekly. Sounds like fun!

Marion Lynn 7 years, 12 months ago

Bozo wrote:

"Posted by just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (anonymous) on April 23, 2006 at 8:28 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Marion is like a little kid-- after he learns that a new "dirty" word has some sort of shock value, he uses it till all of the adults are beyond annoyed."

Marion writes:

And you, Sir, are most likely the last living proponent of the now discredited "vision" of the Progerssive(sic) Lawrence Campaign!

Your bus is leaving and a seat is reserved at the back.

I hurl biosolds in your general direction!

Thanks.

Marion.

horrific_changeling 7 years, 12 months ago

from the lmh article..

"We call it the 'some dude syndrome,' as in 'I was just standing there and some dude hit me,'" Robinson says.

That's sort of what happened to 22-year-old Nick Huckabey, who drove to Lawrence from Overland Park to celebrate a friend's birthday at Abe & Jake's Landing, a popular night spot at 8 E. Eighth St.

"I was just hanging out," Huckabey says, "and this guy was getting beat up pretty bad - getting kicked in the head and stuff.

"There weren't any bouncers around, so I tried to stop it. The next thing I know, I got hit."

He lowers an ice pack to reveal a deep gash between his lip and nose.

"My whole face is numb right now," he says, letting a nurse know his anesthetic had taken effect.

Because Huckabey's lip, Robinson says, was cut "through and through," the on-call plastic surgeon, Dr. Lee Reussner, is called in to do the stitches.

It's now a little after 2 a.m. Sunday.

horrific_changeling 7 years, 12 months ago

Moat, wall..I feel it coming..next someone will say IQ test. Shame on you!

Drew_Carey 7 years, 12 months ago

afred 7 years, 12 months ago

topekan7 7 years, 12 months ago

Ahhhhh...another peaceful night in Topeka.

Marion Lynn 7 years, 12 months ago

Gerbilsniper srote:'

"Posted by gerbilsniper (anonymous) on April 23, 2006 at 8:01 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Marion....just one question.....

do you ever sleep?"

And we are Legion.

Thanks.

Marion.

justanothervoice 7 years, 12 months ago

"What do you expect from a bunch of drunk frat boys and sorority girls." *Wait, I thought these were thugs from Topeka, leaving a rap concert???? (eyes rolling)

bearded_gnome 7 years, 12 months ago

oh and btw, I think when he's not in his tights, Marion is Biosolidsman...no phone booths to change in though!

bearded_gnome 7 years, 12 months ago

thought Abe and Jake's was a massive liberal joint, only full of sweetness light and love...wonder what went wrong. sounds like another case for biosolids man!

DaREEKKU 7 years, 12 months ago

The crowd was less than cooperative? What do you expect from a bunch of drunk frat boys and sorority girls. I was leaving Henrys when it happened and seriously....probably EVERY cop car available in Lawrence was zooming in from every direction.

paladin 7 years, 12 months ago

adavid 7 years, 12 months ago

perhaps lawrence should build some sort of bulwark--a....a uh, wall, of some sort. perhaps an electric wire fence about 11 feet tall. that ought to keep out all the Topekans.

justanothervoice 7 years, 12 months ago

"Hey I listen to rap/hip-hop but I've never heard of anything good happening at a hip-hop concert, have you?"

*YES, do your homework.

unconservitiveperson 7 years, 12 months ago

I say build a giant roundabout at the site of Abe and Jakes.....

smitty 7 years, 12 months ago

The archives will bear his out. The gang banger situation was exalted as a grand effort of Ron Olin to be able to manage a neutral territory for Topeka and KC gang bangers to meet in the middle and learn to all get along.

Like most of Olin's poor arrogant management choices, it hasn't worked as planned. Olin is having to work harder to maintain his image and the officers on the street and the citizenry are in harms way unnessarily to bolster his ego gratification needs. (sic)

Mari Aubuchon 7 years, 12 months ago

Wasn't the KS Relays after party at A&J's last night?

conserv26 7 years, 12 months ago

I know that the perps are not yet said to be from Topeka...but I think that the LPD should have check posts at all entrances to the city on weekend nights to turn all Topeka thugs back to go back home to destroy their own pathetic crime-filled city!!! Seriously when did Lawrence become the city of choice for gang banger types to come party? All rap concerts should also be banned in Lawrence, keep that crap in KC or Topeka. Hey I listen to rap/hip-hop but I've never heard of anything good happening at a hip-hop concert, have you? Anyway, just getting sick of the increase in violence in this usually non-violent city. I may have to move to yuppyville JoCo.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 12 months ago

geekin_topekan 7 years, 12 months ago

Biosolids? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Bring a turd to a gunfight?

gerbilsniper 7 years, 12 months ago

Marion....just one question.....

do you ever sleep?

Steve Jacob 7 years, 12 months ago

Remember, Abe's does not let Topeka people in.

billyflay 7 years, 12 months ago

i would hate to live a city that is not on the"most liveable" list,

DGL 8 years ago

"About dozen vehicles from local law enforcement agencies, including the Lawrence Police, KU and Douglas County Sheriff's Department, as well as officials from Lawrence/Douglas County Fire-Medical, packed the 600 block of New Hampshire in response to the incident."

-They're not kidding. The only people who didn't show up was the Polish Cavalry.

Marion Lynn 8 years ago

Nay, I say!

I shall fling biosolids!

Fling, fling!

Thanks.

Marion.

horrific_changeling 8 years ago

And the countdown for the Topeka/nightclub/foo flinging begins....!

lunacydetector 8 years ago

gee, just last weekend, a topeka man (a topeka man?) was arrested on aggravated assault charges after pulling a gun? i guess that advertising program the City of Lawrence (us taxpayers) sent to the topeka newspaper paid off!

i will be laughing myself silly if this group arrested tonight is from topeka as well.