Archive for Saturday, April 22, 2006

Ad appreciated

April 22, 2006

To the editor:

I really appreciate the full-page ad "You're to die for" Sunday, April 16, Resurrection Day, which made all the difference.

It inspired me to write this. Just one reason I patronize Hobby Lobby any day but Sunday.

Joy Clouse,

Eudora

Comments

wonderhorse 7 years, 12 months ago

75X55

No, I think badger got it right.

Kookamooka 7 years, 12 months ago

Hobby Lobby and Walmart are both "holier than thou" retailers who pay Chinese workers PENNIES to make their crafty crap. In some ways, I can't blame China for the trade games they play, they have to recoup the money somehow. Their people work their fingers to the bone so our kids can have junky toys in their happy meals!

ljreader 7 years, 12 months ago

You perform some kind of cleansing on that merchandise after you get home, don't you, Badger?

75x55 7 years, 12 months ago

So badger-boy, all the pagan's are wandering into the Christian trap then? Good....the plan continues to work.... ;-)

billyflay 7 years, 12 months ago

badger 7 years, 12 months ago

Know what's really funny to me?

Hobby Lobby is known in the pagan community as one of the best places to get certain ritual supplies, like candles and candleholders, all sorts of cords and ribbons, incense burners, embroidery supplies for altar cloths and ritual clothing, wood for making ritual tools, cups to use as fancy chalices, and flowers for making things like decorated brooms given as wedding gifts or floral headpieces worn during rituals.

Most of the pagans I know are in there frequently, and I wonder sometimes how the people who choose to run it as a Christian business would react if they knew that they get a not-inconsequential amount of money each year from the practice of witchcraft.

awoc 7 years, 12 months ago

It's not a big deal, gimp, it's my choice. Sometimes when I get out of church I have things to do and I need to buy stuff.

yourworstnightmare 7 years, 12 months ago

I agree with ljreader. This is an example of belief and ideology trumping economics. They could make a killing on Sunday yet choose to remain closed because of ideology. Jesus trumps the mighty dollah.

I prefer the good old capitalist Michaels.

Jamesaust 7 years, 12 months ago

Ehh...doesn't bother me as long as government isn't imposing it.

Don't Americans already spend enough in six days to cover a week of income?

75x55 7 years, 12 months ago

Kudos to Hobby Lobby - it's nice to see a business operated by people concerned with their employees family life and providing a positive Christian witness in the public sphere. Their success shows the idea that a business must have a seven-day business week isn't necessarily valid.

paladin 7 years, 12 months ago

What's Resurrection Day? Is that a gay pride thing? I personally like to shop at Hobby Lobby on Sunday. There's plenty of parking, never a crowd, and everything is free.

ljreader 7 years, 12 months ago

Well, they're entitled to keep whatever hours they please, but I've always thought it is bad business to be closed on Sunday. It's a hobby shop, for crying old loud- That's the one day most people (sinners?) have time to do their hobbies. Surely they could advertise for some atheists, or the ones that go to church on Saturdays, to fill the Sunday positions. At least there is a choice now, with Micheals on the scene.

grimpeur 7 years, 12 months ago

Doesn't bother me to see that they're closed on Sunday to allow their employees to worship. A small sign on the door noting this seems more like a simple explanation, not an "in my face" declaration.

I'd hope that their employees would patronize my business, even if open on Sunday and owned by an atheist. After all, their Xtian workers might not share my belief, but they might want what I sell.

Some folks worship a god, some the Chiefs, some the Flying Spaghetti Monster. What's the big deal?

awoc 7 years, 12 months ago

Hobby Lobby's "in your face" christianity is the only reason they've never gotten and never will get a dime from me.