Archive for Saturday, April 22, 2006

Ad appreciated

April 22, 2006

To the editor:

I really appreciate the full-page ad "You're to die for" Sunday, April 16, Resurrection Day, which made all the difference.

It inspired me to write this. Just one reason I patronize Hobby Lobby any day but Sunday.

Joy Clouse,

Eudora

Comments

grimpeur 8 years, 8 months ago

Doesn't bother me to see that they're closed on Sunday to allow their employees to worship. A small sign on the door noting this seems more like a simple explanation, not an "in my face" declaration.

I'd hope that their employees would patronize my business, even if open on Sunday and owned by an atheist. After all, their Xtian workers might not share my belief, but they might want what I sell.

Some folks worship a god, some the Chiefs, some the Flying Spaghetti Monster. What's the big deal?

paladin 8 years, 8 months ago

What's Resurrection Day? Is that a gay pride thing? I personally like to shop at Hobby Lobby on Sunday. There's plenty of parking, never a crowd, and everything is free.

Jamesaust 8 years, 8 months ago

Ehh...doesn't bother me as long as government isn't imposing it.

Don't Americans already spend enough in six days to cover a week of income?

yourworstnightmare 8 years, 8 months ago

I agree with ljreader. This is an example of belief and ideology trumping economics. They could make a killing on Sunday yet choose to remain closed because of ideology. Jesus trumps the mighty dollah.

I prefer the good old capitalist Michaels.

badger 8 years, 8 months ago

Know what's really funny to me?

Hobby Lobby is known in the pagan community as one of the best places to get certain ritual supplies, like candles and candleholders, all sorts of cords and ribbons, incense burners, embroidery supplies for altar cloths and ritual clothing, wood for making ritual tools, cups to use as fancy chalices, and flowers for making things like decorated brooms given as wedding gifts or floral headpieces worn during rituals.

Most of the pagans I know are in there frequently, and I wonder sometimes how the people who choose to run it as a Christian business would react if they knew that they get a not-inconsequential amount of money each year from the practice of witchcraft.

Kookamooka 8 years, 8 months ago

Hobby Lobby and Walmart are both "holier than thou" retailers who pay Chinese workers PENNIES to make their crafty crap. In some ways, I can't blame China for the trade games they play, they have to recoup the money somehow. Their people work their fingers to the bone so our kids can have junky toys in their happy meals!