Archive for Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Boyda to run against Ryun again

April 19, 2006

— Democrat Nancy Boyda today formally announced her candidacy for the 2nd Congressional District, which includes west Lawrence and is represented by U.S. Rep. Jim Ryun, a Republican.

A Boyda-Ryun race would represent a rematch from 2004 when Boyda, then a political newcomer, lost to Ryun, 56 percent to 41 percent.

This time, Boyda said during a rally before approximately 200 supporters in the Capitol, she will win.

"My momma did not raise a quitter, and we're going to get it done this time," Boyda said.

Boyda said Congress is controlled by money from big business, including pharmaceutical companies, oil companies and defense contractors.

"Big money doesn't just influence Congress, it absolutely controls it," she said.

Boyda said she would focus on providing affordable health care, closing tax loopholes that currently benefit "mega corporations," setting a timetable to withdraw from Iraq, and penalizing companies that knowingly hire illegal immigrants.

Comments

acg 11 years, 7 months ago

YAY!! Go Nancy. I hope you kick some Jim Ryun a** this year. Woohoo!!

christie 11 years, 7 months ago

SWEEP !!!

Democrats will SWEEP at the National, State, and Local Levels.

November 2008, the End of an ERROR.

yourworstnightmare 11 years, 7 months ago

No, Ryun will easily win on his strong record of achievement in Congress. How can one ignore all of the bills he has sponsored or cosponsored and his activities to make government better.

Oh, wait a minute, this is JIM Ryun we are talking about? Never mind. He is just a placeholder in lock-step with whatever nutty right-wing idea comes down the administration pike next.

Linda Aikins 11 years, 7 months ago

HA HA! I thought Ryan was running in the relays and Boyda was going to "run" against him!

Blonde moment.

chucknoblet 11 years, 7 months ago

If you have any debates, make sure and ask him about the sweetheart deal he got for his DC-area home he "bought" from one of Delay's scam organizations, or was it one of Abramoff's? I get all these criminals confused.

Steve Jacob 11 years, 7 months ago

Nancy Boyda did seem to raise alot of money in 2004. She did get beat by a wide margin. I don't think the dems can find a better candidate, and 2006 is a VERY bad year to be a republican.

MyName 11 years, 7 months ago

srj: Ryun only won 56% of the vote in a state that went for Bush by a landslide in 2004. I don't know how you can call that a "wide margin". Boyda's got a very good chance to win this.

feefifofum 11 years, 7 months ago

Yeah - but that was the "state" that went heavy for Bush. This district did not go as heavy for W. Oh yeah "that sweetheart deal" scandal is really going to win it for Boyda. Maybe she can bring up Ryun's lack of military service ..AGAIN. That really worked so well for her last time .. And for the last 2 dimwit Dems that he defeated. And her momma may not have raised a quitter - but that does not mean she raised a winner. And I think Jim Ryun has done a great deal of good for our district without sponsoring any bills in Congress. #1 He kept another "moderate Democrat" (aka liberal Democrat) out of Congress. #2 He voted to support our war effort against terrorists. #3 He kept another "moderate Democrat" aka liberal ...WHOOPS - well Ok - I admit I really don't care what Congress does as long as they keep Democrats from doing anything except talking about their "new ideas". They really only have a couple of ideas right now - regain power and withdraw our troops to Little Rock, Arkansas. Oh yeah one more - Let the UN handle the terrorist problem.

chucknoblet 11 years, 7 months ago

By the way, how are his grown children all doing over in Iraq? I hope they're safe. Oh, what's that? His children aren't serving over in Iraq? But surely since he wholeheartedly supports Bush's occupation of Iraq, Ryun would encourage his own children to fight for this noble cause, right?

MyName 11 years, 7 months ago

Please, show me that data that supports that. And in any case, I've still never heard a of 6% margin of victory being described as a "wide margin" by anyone who has a clue about politics. Wait, I guess that's almost 10 times the 50.7% "mandate" that Bush won in 2004, and hey, Ryun actually got more than half of the people to vote for him, unlike Bush in 2000. So I guess if you look at it in those terms it's a sweeping success!

MyName 11 years, 7 months ago

Hillary Clinton voted to remove Saddam from power. Where's Chelsea?

Right this whole line of thought is pointless. If our country's military depended upon the might of the sons and daughters of its politicians, we'd have lost every war up to and including the Revolution.

That being said, at least Hillary won a Senate seat. The only way Ryun could win a race for the Senate is if they made all of the candidates run the mile! Even then, he'd have to have one of his staff point him in the right direction. The man is clueless about public policy. On the bright side, since he doesn't do much of anything, he rarely does anything harmful.

feefifofum 11 years, 7 months ago

"Please, show me that data that supports that. And in any case, I've still never heard a of 6% margin of victory being described as a "wide margin" by anyone who has a clue about politics."

Well, I could not find the break down by congressional district - but I know that the far western district had Bush winning by a bigger margin than Ryun's district and I am pretty sure Tihart's district had a larger Bush victory than the 2nd district. I thought that I read that 2nd district had the lowest winning margin for Bush - but that was right after the election and I can't find that info anywhere now.

I think 6% is a wide margin - especially considering the money that was spent on both sides. But if you want to call it a WIN - go ahead. I don't see the history of challengers improving their margin the 2nd time around. Maybe she will uncover a "terrible scandal" RYUN buys his hearing aid batteries at WAL-MART in WICHITA !!(outside his district!!). And if Jim is so GD dumb - what does that say about his Brainiac Dem opponents that keep losing.

feefifofum 11 years, 7 months ago

Don't know how I failed to notice that Ryun won by more than 6% - try 14% more of the total vote than she got.

Ryun 56% Boyda 42% Other 2%