Archive for Wednesday, April 5, 2006

Not safer

April 5, 2006

To the editor:

I am deeply upset about the passing of the concealed weapons law. There simply is no reason why someone in the year 2006 would need to walk down Massachusetts Street with a gun. It is an individual's choice to own a weapon for home protection, but it is a public safety issue to take a weapon out on the street. I am sick of hearing about the rights of gun owners. What about the rights of people who do not want to be around guns?

I should be able to walk downtown with my family and not worry about who has a gun, if one might accidentally discharge or if some vigilante shootout is going to occur.

People are obsessed with their individual rights and the potential of them being taken away. Individual responsibility must accompany individual freedom. Unfortunately, it is often the people who are most vocal about their rights who lack the personal responsibility to carry a firearm. Is it your right to carry a gun in public now? Yes. Is it necessary? Is it responsible? Is it best for this community as a whole?

I sympathize with people who want to feel safer. But regardless of licensing and firearms classes, more guns on the street do not make a safer society. I am troubled by the regression of social consciousness and responsibility this law represents. It is a shame Kansas has gone in this direction.

Ben Andrews,

Lawrence

Comments

xenophonschild 8 years, 7 months ago

Right on, Ben! It is a shame! It stains the civilization we have created and support here. The only people who need to carry weapons are professional law enforcement officers, period. How long will it be before the first child to be wounded or killed by a "gun accident" in Douglas County occurs? And what will those who squawk about their "constitutional rights" have to say then? Unnecessary. Maybe if you have to live and work around 37 & Troost in Kansas City, but not in Lawrence.

erichaar 8 years, 7 months ago

Guns don't "accidentally discharge" anymore than your car accidentally turns on or your Cuisinart accidentally starts making you a strawberry milkshake.

bankboy119 8 years, 7 months ago

xeno you sure sound a lot like Hitler. What was his quote? Something about now that they have total gun control in the society the rest of the world will follow? Oh and we see how that turned out.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 7 months ago

Mr. andrew... Personal responsability is what this is about...I feel personally responsible for my actions and responsible for defending myself....Ifeel as a responsible adult that I should be able to exercise my fourth amendment right and bear a fire arm.....If this causes you concern, tough....you should be more concerned about who is walking around with firearms now, then those who will have to be screened and trained, and who would most likely get a steeper sentance if they abused their privilage of carrying concealed.

mom_of_three 8 years, 7 months ago

I think the passing of the concealed carry law was unnecessary. But I am not an opponent, or proponent. I can see where opponents are coming from. What if you are in a convenience store, and suddenly, someone comes in with a gun? Mr. Andrews is worried about another citizen, customer, taking the matters into his own hands, and many innocent people could get hurt.

I wonder how many businesses will post signs not allowing guns in the store, and if it will be followed?

RonBurgandy 8 years, 7 months ago

So since accidents maybe have never happened, is there assurance that it will never happen? I don't think so. Heaven forbid that accident isn't your child, friend, spouse, family member, etc.

Speakout 8 years, 7 months ago

I am glad they passed this law. Here I am a lawbiting citizen and itching to carry a gun. The only problem is where to carry it.

If I put it in my pants, I am afraid of accidentally shooting off some of my anatomy, and cold steel against ones' private parts keeps one awake. However, if I put it under my arm in a nice holster, I will get gun oil all over my white shirts and they are hard ennough to clean as it is. Then, I could put it inside my shirt next to my undershirt, but that makes it hard to draw out the gun if I am in a hurry to protect someone or shoot back in a gun battle that is so prevalent in Lawrence.

I could wear it in a holster on the sides of my legs like in the old days - tie the holster to my leg and have it at the right heighth so I can do a quick draw when I needed it. I had a friend that did that and one day he shot himself in the leg trying to outdraw someone. He had to walk with a cane from them on and he looked kinda funny with his guns at his sides and walkin with a cane.

Since these concerns are too much for me, maybee I just leave my gun at home for the wife. She's a better shot than me anyhow.

xenophonschild 8 years, 7 months ago

Hitler, huh? Quel dommage! Having you guys carry concealed weapons isn't that big a deal; it's unnecessary. And why do you pay taxes to support police forces, anyway? With the proliferation of cell phones, wouldn't it be more fitting and convenient to simply whip out your Razor, dial 911, and give the police an accurate description of who did what to whom?

That's what I'm going to do.

craigers 8 years, 7 months ago

Cops deal with crime after the fact and this opens the opportunity for people to deal with crime the moment it is happenning.

bankboy119 8 years, 7 months ago

No, think of the response time.

Moderateguy 8 years, 7 months ago

I'm done trying to reason with the "what if"ers. I've been waiting for a chance to ask some of you though. I've been unable to find any information on times and locations of any CCW classes that are likely to be approved for the permit. The bill mentions NRA courses, but none seem to be in our area. Anybody know of any upcomming courses so we can get going on this deal? As I understand it, proof of an approved course is required when you apply for the permit. July 1 isn't that far off.

wonderhorse 8 years, 7 months ago

rightthinker, omb, etc

Are there derringers that shoot anything but a .22 rimfire? I am very familiar with large bore, but don't know about small bore hideouts.

Moderateguy 8 years, 7 months ago

Thanks rightthinker.

Wonder, check out the Beretta Tomcat in .32 caliber.