Archive for Sunday, April 2, 2006

Message of greed

April 2, 2006

To the editor:

My daughter was one the many people that had to find a new location for their wedding because of the damage to Danforth Chapel. We were fortunate to find the chapel at Baker University was available for the date that was planned. The cost was higher than at Danforth, but not out of line. We went to pay the fee and were informed that the university was lowering its standard fee for anyone that was displaced because of the storm that made Danforth unusable. We were so pleased with their thoughtfulness and want to thank Baker University for their compassion and generosity.

When we called our daughter and told her what Baker is doing she was thrilled. She informed us that not everyone has been that helpful. One of the local churches that offered to help is charging $1,215 for the use of their facilities, which is more than ten times what it cost to use Danforth. This couple are not believers and probably won't be because of this church's greed. The church is supposed to be reaching out to help others and share the good news of Jesus Christ. I guess their building is more important than people. Thank God for Baker University for their help, and woe to you Pharisees.

Russ Beeson,

Lawrence

Comments

geekin_topekan 9 years, 1 month ago

Hey,we can merge the two. The First national Bank of our Savoir in Christ. Jesus State Bank.

fletch 9 years, 1 month ago

$1200 isn't that bad. I guess it's relative to the space you're hoping for. My sister's wedding cost $950, but that included a 2 hour rehearsal and 4 hour day-of rental.

Daniel Speicher 9 years, 1 month ago

$1200 is quite a bit just for the rental of the space... I'm glad Baker was able to help.

--Danny Speicher

lilchick 9 years, 1 month ago

Wow, I just paid 100 bucks for my church rental, included rehearsal the night before, being allowed in the church at 11am, our florist started decorating the church Friday morning. My reception hall cost a whopping 250 bucks plus an additional 100 per keg of beer and a bartender was provided at no extra cost. We seated between 200 and 250 people for both! Small towns are a great thing!

lilchick 9 years, 1 month ago

Of course, we did have to clean both the church and the reception hall after we were finished....but still very cheap!

badger 9 years, 1 month ago

Well, c-man, good to see you exhorting others to make faith decisions based on fiscal advantage. If I decide to get married, I'll be sure to join a pretty church eighteen months or so beforehand so I can be sure to get the date I want. No need to keep going once I've gotten the facilities for cheap, though, so I can quit a week or so after the wedding. Let's see, if I kick a buck into the collection plate each week, so no one thinks I'm not donating, and I go three out of every four weekends, that's about sixty bucks over the course of a year and a half, so it'd have to be better than a sixty-dollar discount. I bet it would. Hey, c-man, thanks for the financial advice! Planning a wedding does get really expensive these days.

If Russ, there, were really throwing the first stone, he'd have named the church, now, wouldn't he?

I read the letter as, "Look at how Baker was nicer than they had to be, especially in comparison to what other people offering to help are doing." I wonder, if the happy couple had been getting married in a 'real' church instead of the chapel, would there have been a better markdown, a Super Special Secret Christian Discount?

Yeah, someone in all this is a little bit of a hypocrite.

ECM 9 years, 1 month ago

The couple aren't believers and probably won't be because a church wanted to charge them a particular amount. Well they are a winning couple aren't they? You have no idea why that church wanted that amount. It is a common practice to charge non members a price that is higher than the price charged to members of the church. Many churches use the money from rentals like this to subsidize day care, youth service or other services. But then you expected people to bend over backwards for your daughters "party". Well shame on that church for thinking of others when the center of the universe is obviously your daughter. Please!

Linda Endicott 9 years, 1 month ago

I would say that all of the area churches know about the storm and the damage at KU. They surely knew that weddings would have to be changed to other places.

To charge that much to people in this kind of situation, a situation that was no fault of their own, isn't a very Christian thing to do, is it? Isn't that kind of taking advantage of people?

craigers 9 years, 1 month ago

I am glad that Baker is doing this. I went to Baker and had my wedding at that chapel. It is more beautiful than Danforth in my opinion. I'm not trying to be mean but it really is.
And I will second that churches do charge a bit much for those that don't attend. However, when some churches make it mandatory that their pastor do the ceremony or at least a minister of their denomination then part of the fee goes to them for their services. It just seems odd though that the price would be that high for a church, since we are to reach out to our communities and help others in need.