Archive for Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Road hazard

September 27, 2005

To the editor:

Now the city wants to get involved in cell phone use? Try this one on for size. Perhaps the city should be more concerned with the real dangers of driving around Lawrence. I'm referring to the fact that bicyclists are allowed to ride their bikes on County Roads 458 and 1061!

Many times I and other drivers have been in danger due to the cyclists in the road. These become extremely dangerous roads when they are out there. With all of the safe places to ride, why are they allowed on these roads? Is it going to take an accident for this to change? I hate the Share The Road signs on these roads. They should add, Drive a Vehicle!

Cindy Westerhouse,

Eudora

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 2 months ago

The danger lies with road-raging drivers such as Cindy, not with bicyclists exercising their right to use public roadways.

Ragingbear 9 years, 2 months ago

I saw a very near car accident again last night ,as two cell phone drivers met at an intersection. I am for the ban. It should be something made illegal in all states. Those people are almost as bad as drunk drivers.

grimpeur 9 years, 2 months ago

Hmmm. I was biking on 1061 last night. And 442. And K-32. I didn't see any problems. Like almost all of the thousands and thousands of cars who pass me and my ride partners, the cars who passed me last night did so with ease, with caution where needed, and with courtesy. I'm sorry it's so difficult for this person, but a few driving lessons and some time with the KS driver's manual should help.

It's not dangerous until a poor driver (or an impatient or insane one) comes along.

jakeman333 9 years, 2 months ago

On so many ways you have this wrong. It is unfortunate that your viewpoint is so pro-gasoline and road rage. I ride my bike everywhere including 30 miles to work. What are you doing to not use excess gasoline. Obviously nothing. So while I am out there getting excercise, conserving gas (also helping to not perpetuate the war in Irag), you are in your luxurious micro-environment with A/C and a radio clogging up the roadways. It would not kill you and everybody else to drive respectfully. You will get to where you need to in the same amount of time.

PS.Thank you for causing my health insurance premiums to go up for all you lazy Americans who drive everywhere. Not to mention , it is a fact that the more cyclists that are on the road, the safer it becomes for everyone.

Skeptic 9 years, 2 months ago

In 2004, the WHO chose "Road Safety" for the topic of World Health Day. The focus was on "drunk driving, speeding and improper or lack of use of safety or seat belts"

Cell phones were not even mentioned, nor radios, nor eating, nor fussy children in the back seat.

Just like smoking isn't the leading cause of workplace injuries yet the city focuses on it, cell phones aren't a leading cause of traffic injuries yet it gets attention anyway.

If people are driving recklessly while operating a cell phone, pull them over for reckless driving.

If they aren't driving recklessly, there is no problem.

Todd 9 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, bust people for actual crimes not what you think might lead to a crime. Last I checked using excessive gas, being unhealthy, etc... weren't crimes.

rdunlap 9 years, 2 months ago

Can't beleive I'm even responding...other than to point out what pure garbage this is. If you can't handle passing a bike, how could you ever be expected to drive around a traffic circle?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 2 months ago

Skeptic,

What are the leading causes of workplace injuries, and should the city intervene?

melonious81 9 years, 2 months ago

I am really hoping that "Cindy" is a made up name and someone just wrote the above letter to get people fired up. I want to believe that people like Cindy don't exist however I am reminded everyday that they do exist. How anyone can be so inconsiderate is baffling. A Cindy wannabe nearly hit me yesterday on my bike because of an unwillingness to use their brakes or maybe extended cab pickup trucks don't have brakes. I am unsure how so many people's priorities in life could get so messed up. Racing home to suburbial hell to place the frozen dinner in the microwave must be more important than a bit of fresh air and exercise.

tolawdjk 9 years, 2 months ago

Poor little Eudora can't handle a bicycle on a county road. Tis a shame.

Chicago recently banned cell phone usage in cars that are not operated on a hands free device. People seem to be managing just fine.

And if you want some information on cell phone useage and increased risks while driving: http://www.livescience.com/technology/050201_cell_danger.html#stats

Or, you know, you can just go on bitching about a guy on a bike that caused you to slow down to 55 mph.

hienmachine 9 years, 2 months ago

Yes it's rather unfortunate the "Cindy" can't handle a cyclist on the road. I paid my taxes so I can use the road and it seems that Cindy is rather selfish that she wants only the road for herself and her car. Perhaps she should try riding a bike and see that it is rather enjoyable. I'll be more cautious now riding my bicycle in Eudora.

As for the cell phone use. Ban it! I'm sick of them swerving into my lane while chatting away.

jakeman333 9 years, 2 months ago

HienMachine has an excellent point. It is everybody's tax dollars that build and maintain the roads, not just the tax dollars from gasoline. So for those of us who never drive on the roads we are acually supplementing the nice roads that Cindy and everybody else uses. Cyclist have every right to use those roads.

Anyways for those of you who do not like the cyclists, just use K10 or any other pure highway that does not allow cyclists.

So Cindy, feel free to hop on a bike any time you want and experience cycling. It would do alot to help your lackluster attitude and unfortunate outlook on life.

mermily 9 years, 2 months ago

as i agree with everyone's shock at cindy's letter, i'll only add one point...her suggestion to have "Drive a Vehicle!" added to the signs is futile. under the vehicle code, bikes are vehicles (that is why a biker can get a ticket for running a stop sign or biking drunk).
i also really liked her statement re the frequency of "drivers [that] have been in danger due to the cyclists in the road". yea, if i were going to be hit, i'd WAY rather a car run me over than some scary bike.