Archive for Monday, September 26, 2005

Whining critics

September 26, 2005

To the editors:

Regarding Deirdre O'M Humphrey's congenial reply to my last letter: In the interest of keeping that letter brief, I stuck to one point, and that, too, was a reply to another specific letter. At no time did I state that anyone must share my belief in any God or that "if you believe X, you must believe Y."

As for global warming, yes, I do realize weather patterns have been changing for a long time. It's nothing new. Many people used to believe this was caused by "the bomb." Maybe they still do. I don't know that they're wrong. Does this mean every subsequent Democratic president is responsible for each hurricane, tornado, etc.? I don't believe so, as I'm sure Ms. O'M Humphrey agrees.

Our president has taken actions to help victims of Katrina. When Bush isn't on the scene of a disaster, I hear whining. When he is on the scene, I hear whining. After his speech the other night, outlining recovery measures, the whining grew shrill. "He's spending money!"

Is it the right thing? Is it enough? Are any of us always doing enough of the right thing?

God only knows.

Sarah Ashley Posch,

Lawrence

Comments

rtwngr 9 years, 9 months ago

Well said, Ms. Posch! Perhaps they would like a little cheese with their whine.

craigers 9 years, 9 months ago

Nice letter, and oh how true it rings.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 9 months ago

BushCo dropped the ball on Katrina, but that's because the work formerly done by FEMA doesn't fit into their priorites: the military takeover of foreign oil fields, stacking the courts with corporate-friendly judges, tax cuts for the rich, and gutting all government programs that promote the public welfare.

With a major embarrassment on their hands in the aftermath of Katrina, their response is what should be expected-- it'll be a windfall for the same BushCo cronies at Halliburton and KBR, etc. that fund the Republican Party, and who are profitting handsomely from the "war on terror" and the massive increases in military spending in the permanent cash cow for them in Iraq.

After five years of incompetence, greed and corruption, why would anyone expect that this administration is capable anything else?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 9 months ago

But as any B-movie buff would know, Bonzo is the intellectual superior of any Republican president.

thanks, Kevin

yours, Bozo (now aka Bonzo)

bisky1 9 years, 9 months ago

jabotb; do you really believe this crap you are writing? it's like 25 of bushes buddies screwing the rest of us and you are the only one smart enough to figure it out. please explain the tax cuts for the rich angle, facts do not seem to bear this out.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 9 months ago

What crap? No, I'm not the only one who's figured it out. Most of the tax cuts went to the rich, and the gap between the richest 1% and everyone else has increased dramatically since Reagan, while the real wages of the middle class have fallen. Most of the policies of this administration are designed to continue that trend.

bisky1 9 years, 9 months ago

in terms of just dollars you are correct, but who pays taxes? shouldn't the people who actually pay taxes get a tax cut?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 9 months ago

Well, I don't think that there is anything to be won here. I'm here primarily for my own entertainment, and I find it quite entertaining watching the attempts to defend the indefensible, especially by those who see it as their holy crusade (Kevin, for instance.)

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 9 months ago

While the government is running record deficits and an unnecessary but very expensive war, there should be no tax cuts, expecially for the ultra-wealthy who are primarily responsible for Bush being in the White House.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 9 months ago

My pop-psychoanalysis is that in school Kevin tried hard to be one of the popular kids, but no matter how hard he tried he was never more than the go-fer nerd they all took advantage of. He continues that pattern now on this forum. He wants badly to be one of the popular neocons, but he'll never get beyond being a sycophantic poster on a backwater internet forum.

bisky1 9 years, 9 months ago

so when it is time to answer a real question it all of the sudden becomes entertainment? you don't know what you're talking about it's just talking points.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 9 months ago

I answered your question. If it sounds similar to answers you've heard elsewhere, I don't claim to live in a vacuum, and as the Beatles said, you can't say anything that hasn't been said before. But If you think I'm wrong, then tell me why, and I may or may not agree with your reasoning.

Otherwise, I'm just another bozo on this JW bus.

b_asinbeer 9 years, 9 months ago

I say we should impeach someone....just for the fun of it. ;o)

"Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job." 9/2/2005

craigers 9 years, 9 months ago

jabotb, of course the wealthy are getting wealthier. A simple math lesson would tell you that. Even if we all were earning the same 10% on our savings investments. If you have 50,000 and the rich have 2,000,000 then every year they will earn 200K while you will earn 5K. Hence the reason the gap is getting larger. Once you have that kind of money, it is hard not to get richer than the poorer people. It isn't because of greed and cheating, it is a simple investment calculation.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 9 months ago

I don't disagree, and you're free to cheer the slide to fascism/feudalism, but I have no desire to be a serf. Just one look at the "leadership" of George Bush tells all you need to know about what you get with inbred, hereditary monarchy.

mermily 9 years, 9 months ago

back to the actual article..

"The other evening, I heard several scientists discussing the hurricane and levees. One pointed out that there have always been devastating Category 4 and 5 hurricanes, and there always will be. Global warming, he said, did not cause Katrina. He's done the research."

this is very true, however, the hurricane scale takes into account only the mph of wind, the amount of surge above average, and the likely degree of resulting damage (see US army corps of engineers for more specifics). what isn't taken into account, and there is an increasing trend amongst scientists to do so, is the duration of the storm, width it runs, rainfall associated with it, and other factors. there is evidence that these formly unaccounted for, but clearly very important in terms of distruction, factors are increasing.