Archive for Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Biblical guidance

September 21, 2005

To the editor,

God gives some simple answers to the question asked by the person who wanted to know when someone of any age is ready for sex (Journal-World, Sept. 20). A sample of some of these answers from the New American Standard version of the Bible includes the following. All are intended to protect a person or marriage and to provide a marriage relationship that is based on God's standards of morality.

1. Genesis 2:24 - "For this cause, a man shall leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave to his wife; and they shall become one flesh."

2. Exodus 20:14 and 17 - "You shall not commit adultery" and "... you shall not covet your neighbor's wife."

3. Malachi 2:15 - "Take heed then, to your spirit, and let no one deal treacherously against the wife of your youth."

4. Matthew 5:28 - "But I say to you that every one who looks on a woman to lust for her has committed adultery with her already in his heart."

5. John 8:11 (concerning the woman caught in adultery) - "Neither do I condemn you; go your way; from now on sin no more."

6. I Corinthians 6:18 - "Flee from immorality."

7. Hebrews 13:4 - "Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled; for fornicators and adulterers God will judge."

Carl Burkhead,

Lawrence

Comments

laughingatallofu 9 years, 9 months ago

1. I Corinthians 6:18 - "Flee from immorality."

So, why are Republicans in charge? The American people are getting screwed.

erichaar 9 years, 9 months ago

Even if one doesn't believe the Bible comes from God-- even if you don't believe in God-- the passages above give great advice. 1. Be physically and relationally faithful to your husband or wife. 2. Save the most intimate of physical connections, sex, for the most intimate of interpersonal connections, marriage. 3. Don't waste your time, money and brain power lusting after someone else's spouse or future spouse.

rtwngr 9 years, 9 months ago

On the one hand, Carl, you are absolutely correct. On the other, those that don't believe in God and the Bible think you're looney tunes.

craigers 9 years, 9 months ago

I agree with you Carl and erichaar I am glad you pointed out the usefulness of scriptures to all, not just Christians.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 9 months ago

The New American Standard Version? Did God edit this version or did Sam Brownback and Jim Ryun? These are two who constantly subvert the financial system of campaign finance.

The letter provides quotes which are left to our own intrepretation. Pat Robertson I's sure can fill in the spaces regarding intrepretation for he has lust on a variety of levels. Lust for killing is a start.

craigers 9 years, 9 months ago

Merrill this had nothing to do with politicians but shows your need to smear republicans and ministers. Pat Robertson has done more good for soul winning than I or you have so trying to smear him by saying he lusts for killing is obsurd. However, like I have said before Merrill has something against christians and hates to see any of them successful. And the quotes are very self-explanatory, the problems come in when you try to interpret them yourself.

Jamesaust 9 years, 9 months ago

I'll never understand those who wish to cherry-pick their morality!

The author forgot: 8. Genesis 38:6-10, a widow's duty to marry her brother-in-law. 9. Genesis 21:10 (among others), the importance of concubines to a happy marriage. 10. Numbers 31:1-8, the duty of virgin female prisoners of war to submit as wives to their conquerors (may Iraqi girls profit from this example). 11. Deuteronomy 22:28-29, the duty of a rape victim to marry her rapist.

These are the instruction given to you by the Lord thy God. Failure to carry out even one word of this literal dogma (King James version please! Jesus spoke the King's English) will result in eternal hellfire.

craigers 9 years, 9 months ago

Jamesaust, the fact that you bring up those verses shows that you aren't realizing that there are two covenants in the bible. The theme of this letter was to point out that premarital sex is immoral and should not be done. There are more ramifications than what young people realize. Get off of Carl's back.

ryanjasondesch 9 years, 9 months ago

Tell me all you want about "God's Laws" and the Bible. IT'S A BOOK!!! And a fine one at that, but let's stop pretending its more than that. No one knows God's Laws or even if there are any, cuz no one's met him or her (despite the apparent hallucinations of some who claim to). Plus, any opinion based on this book is in fact merely an interpretation thereof, not a solid unquestionable fact, even by those who claim to have the right to do so (priests, televangelists, what have you). How convenient for those who claim to own the rights to interpret the bible give themselves positons of moral authority and the right to dictate to people how they should live with threats of damnation if they don't!

The bottom line is that morality is dynamic, it is not a static unchanging entity that is attacked or eroded over time by those opposing viewpoints that are of course "immoral". Slavery and the oppression of women were based on moral and biblical principles and we (for those rational elements of progressive society) no longer accept them on moral grounds. So was the killing of "witches". There are many good points presented in the Bible, that doesn't mean that they represent truth, or that they are even relevant to all individuals and broadly apply to all societies, including those that existed before the Bible. When the Bible was written it was morally OK for a 21 year old man to marry a 12 year old girl, today that's child abuse. Point is, the Bible is not the end-all, be-all to morality, different things work for different people, and most of all, I'm sick and tired of people putting words in God's mouth as I'm apt to believe, he or she is too.

mermily 9 years, 9 months ago

i am not sure what you mean craigers?

i see the useful-to-my-argument covenant and the not-useful-to-my-argument covenant, but i may be missing something?

i too pick and chose from the bible. there are themes in there i think are timeless and useful but there are also themes, such as those given most recently, that i clearly disagree with. as a result of my own selective reading, i am not inclined to profess my interpretation (as i know it to be only an interpretation) onto others.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 9 months ago

Many ministers are politicians...Brother Pat Robertson is but one and his lust for money and power are quite obvious. I notice that some are legally questioning how he spends the money from his charities...the man is no saint.

I only smear certain self declared folks of God and lord knows that the greater majority of christians do not subscribe to the far right christain coalition types. The far right christain coalition types I do not accept period for as far as I am concerned they are bogus.

Real conservatives and moderate republicans are perfectly capable of being rational whereas christian coalition neocons are simply a bit nuts and certainly do not represent the real republican party.

Craigers in the future please do not imply that I hate christians,ministers and republicans in general because that is simply not true. Do I disagree with the bogus ones...absolutely. Remember hate is not a family value.

craigers 9 years, 9 months ago

Ryan, I would have to completely disagree with your comment about God not being real. The very presence of evil compels us to realize that there is the other side of good. I have seen people healed miraculously by the laying on of hands and praying in the name of Jesus. When I pray to the Lord, I always have a peace come over me that no man can take. The prophecies that were laid out in Daniel, Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekial can point out that God is real and is proven by the prophecies that have taken place and will take place. I don't think that people being completely delivered from demonic activity after having the demons cast out in Jesus name is an act or anything of the such. For you to dismiss God or knowing Him and His power as hallucinations is unfounded. Don't tell me that I am hallucinating for having these experiences that prove His realness to me, because you have never experienced it. Just because you haven't doesn't mean it is real.

The Bible represents complete truth and God tells you what is expected for our behavior. He has instilled a moral compass inside all of us, which is our conscience. We are wired for His morality code, but we have changed that along the way because people in this society don't listen to Him anymore. Mermily, what I meant was that the whole purpose of the Old Testament was to point us to a savior, and show that we can't be perfect/moral on our own. The law is a set book or rules and regulations to follow, but the fact is when Christ came, he fulfilled all of our punishment. We can't apply the law to us, because the law was completely given to the Jews, not us. What was given to us, the former Gentiles but those who are Christians now is the Saviour, the new law, and the need for a realtionship with Jesus. The moral code of the bible never condone the killing of witches, but people neglect any law as you can see in our society. I don't have time to type more but maybe later.

Merrill, pardon my assumption, but it is pretty hard not to think those things when any Christian figure is in the news, or one of these letters for that matter, or the Bible is mentioned you seem to try to slander and smear a Christian if you can at that time. It is somewhat hard not to think you have a personal vendetta against them. Once again, sorry.

ryanjasondesch 9 years, 9 months ago

Dude, you totally missed the point, it's not TRUTH, it's your opinion of truth, just because you believe it's truth does not mean that it is the absolute truth. I don't care what you think you've experienced. By throwing all this 'Christ is the Saviour' crap at me isn't gonna prove anything, much less convince me that the Bible is anything other than what it is, a book. I didn't say the Bible talked about burning witches as being OK, I used the example to illustrate the dynamic and changing nature of morality.

And come on, if you think you read in there that I said God isn't real, you've simply gotta be kidding me bro! I think I referred to God as a him or her, I never said I was an athiest. I simply said that no one knows God's law or if there are any because no one has ever truly talked to him or her, they just think (or wish) they do. It's all in our psychology brother. I believe in God, but that is a personal matter, I don't try to sell it to others, and I don't try to pawn it off as "Absolute Truth." My beliefs are just that and nothing more. No two people believe the exact same thing, but everyone believes that theirs represent Truth. Obviously there's a problem there. You can sit there all day and write about the Bible, but in the end it means nothing. I have a hunch that when a Christian dies, he or she is suprised to find out they weren't as accurate on God and the afterlife as they believe themselves to be.

dotteboy 9 years, 9 months ago

Pee-Wee 3:1-"Let the left hand worry not what the right hand is doing" Luscious Colt 45:8.0%-"But I say to you that every man who looks upon a woman with beer goggles has greatly improved his chances of committing the nasty with her in his '73 Coupe deVille." Leon Phelps 7:69-"Is it the fault of the wang?" Leon Phelps 2:on 1"How long have you been nunning it up?" Leon Phelps 2:69-"You can't blame the wang."

craigers 9 years, 9 months ago

My question is if you have experienced God in your life why wouldn't you want to share Him with others and not just bottle it up because they are only your beliefs and truth isn't realizeable. I will lay down my life for my beliefs and Christ himself is truth. How can you look at the Bible and say that it isn't true when the prophecies fortold in it are coming true and the signs that Jesus spoke of are happening in our present time? I just don't see it. Can you really say you believe something and not stand behind it enough to share it? I believe that if we read the bible we will know all we need to know about the afterlife. This might be my opinion of truth, but it is the God-inspired truth that was written a long time ago and still stands up to scrutiny.

And for you to say well whatever you expercience are your experiences and your beliefs, it is like saying that my beliefs and experiences are fairy tales and mean nothing to anybody else. I will never say the bible is a fairy tale or just a book, but I will believe in it and what it speaks of. From that I will say that Christ is the only way to get to heaven. You don't need to respond with another my beliefs are my beliefs and yours are yours. However Ryan, if you would respond to my question I would appreciate it so I can hear what you have to say on that.

Thanks

ryanjasondesch 9 years, 9 months ago

Look, sharing your experiences and beliefs is one thing, saying that they're the truth is another entirely. I don't share your beliefs on the Bible, Christ (I think he was an amazing human being, one of the greatest ever perhaps), and the afterlife. By you stating that your beliefs are the truth is like telling me mine are false. In reality neither of us is totally correct. I believe in many things, but I don't offer them as a panacea for life. There is no God-inspired truth, there is however ideas, opinions, beliefs, and what have you that are the product of humans who claim divine inspiration. That does not prove that God inspires people, or that God exists, or that he or she communicates with us in any way.

Absolute truth is not knowable, that's the essence of the continuation of conversations like these. Truth isn't something you find, it's something you search for, it's not a destination, it's a road. We'll be searching till the day we die, hopefully then we'll find out (though I doubt not, it must take more). When you say that salvation is only attainable through Christ, I have serious issues with that, being Buhddist and all. For my sake I hope you're wrong and I believe you're wrong about that.

craigers 9 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for the response and dialogue. I do appreciate hearing your thoughts.