Archive for Monday, September 19, 2005

Sebelius re-election rumor riles GOP

September 19, 2005

— As Republicans jockey for position to run for governor in 2006, Democratic incumbent Kathleen Sebelius fends off campaign questions by saying it's too early to talk about the election.

If that's the case, Republicans ask, then why was Sebelius quoted as saying she is running for re-election on the Web site of EMILY's List, an influential political action committee dedicated to helping elect Democratic women who support abortion rights?

"I think it shows that she holds national, pro-choice activists in higher regard than the people she was elected to represent," said Derrick Sontag, executive director of the Kansas Republican Party.

But hold on. When asked about her re-election announcement, Sebelius' office says she was misquoted.

Nicole Corcoran, a spokeswoman for Sebelius, said the governor, elected to a first term in 2002, fully expects to run for re-election but has made no announcement.

"She is as focused as ever on the challenges of growing our economy, strengthening our public schools, and keeping Kansas safe and secure," Corcoran said.

On the EMILY's List Web site, Sebelius is featured as a candidate worthy of support.

In her profile, Sebelius says, "I'm running for re-election because I'm a committed Kansan with the right combination of leadership and experience to make Kansas a progressive, 21st century state, with good jobs, excellent schools, affordable health care and a streamlined government."

Corcoran said the re-election comment was inaccurate. She called EMILY's List to change it, and they did, deleting the start of the sentence "I'm running for re-election because ... "

Corcoran stated: "They quoted the governor accurately about her desire to serve Kansas, but it was not in the context of re-election. That was the only part that was not accurate."

Ramona Oliver, communications director for EMILY's List, agreed with Corcoran, saying the quote "was a little mistaken literary license - our brains are always in election mode, even if the women we are talking about aren't."

"It was wholly a mistake on our part, but easily fixed when it was brought to my attention," Oliver said.

She said the candidate profiles on the Web site were developed from a combination of questionnaires, interviews and media sources.

But Sontag, the Kansas Republican official, said Sebelius was clearly running for a second term. "It sounds to me like she already made and announced the decision that she's running for re-election. The least she could've done is let Kansans know about it first," he said.

Corcoran said she didn't know how much money has been raised for Sebelius through EMILY's List. The next campaign finance report is due Jan. 10. In Sebelius' last report for 2004, she had $150,214 on hand.

Comments

Richard Heckler 9 years, 3 months ago

Derrick Sontag,

My word do you not have more important matters to deal with in life? If you want to shore up the party perhaps you ought to ask Connie Morris to step down as she attempted to take taxpayers for a ride aka fraud.

Kathleen Sebelius is a very intelligent moderate governor with excellent plans for Kansas on the table.

Thus far the neocon republicans on the list of candidates are anything but moderate and seem to be taking their que from Washington D.C. which again is not moderate in any sense of the word. Rove/Cheney/Bush neocon republicans are taking the country down the economic tubes.

coldandhot 9 years, 3 months ago

Thanks to Bush/Cheney and the Republican Congress we have a growing economy. Sebulius has benefitted from this. Our state can't attract business. Once again, I think Merrill lives in fairyland...where everyone is a socialist and schools are the only thing that matter.

John1945 9 years, 3 months ago

Golly, I wonder if Merrill was writing her/his/its libelous comments about Morris while she/he/it was on the clock collecting a paycheck from the taxpayers.

Very simple question Merrill. Do you, or don't you work for the government schools? It certainly appears that you do from your posts, and if anyone is wasting the taxpayers' money, you're it.

BunE 9 years, 3 months ago

Thanks to Bush/Cheney, we have an economy where wealth has increased but wages have stagnated. The deficit has ballooned. We lose men and women daily in Iraq, and we have now been "outed" as lacking preparaton for major emergencies. The president even appoints that traitor Karl Rove to head the re-building of the GC. I wonder how much money he will "award" to his buddies?

Thank god Kansas has a government that splits power between the parties.

The govenor has been a sane voice of moderation in a time where moderation is exactly what we need. Look a little farther than your own driveways sheeple. Its a big world.

John1945 9 years, 3 months ago

There are two major reasons American auto manufacturers are in trouble. 1. The unions have all but bankrupted them. General Motors has been using some rather strange accounting practices to hide the fact that it's little more than a glorified HMO, and 2. they build crappy cars. In part that's due to the fact that the Japanese manufacturers have access to government research and development, but in many cases they simply have made the decision to build poorly built, but stylish rather than reliable cars.

Take a look at Consumer Reports to see which cars are suggested buys and which are junk. Cadillac long considered our premier luxury car is in the don't buy category for virtually every year. Since 1992 they've been absolute junk. You'd be better off with a Yugo. Suvs? Toyota is the only one I recall getting a pass. Ford Explorer, their prime product for years now is considered a don't buy from 1997 to 2002.

When last I looked the president wasn't in charge of auto manufacturing, nor did he have the supreme authority to dictate to New Orleans corrupt and incompetent Democrat mayor and Governor during the early phases of the disaster when they bungled virtually every decision.

captain_poindexter 9 years, 3 months ago

Hilarious, wendt.

"Oh, and I scored 100 points higher on the SAT than your President. The man who has now run from two disasters on American soil."

hahahahahaha, that is probably the funniest thing I have ever seen on this post site! Its been a long day, thanks for the pick-me-up, I really appreciate it.

hmmmm, you are posting on some newspaper website and Bush is head of the only superpower in the world....

but congrats on that extra 100 points, you used it well.

hahahahahaha

laughingatallofu 9 years, 3 months ago

Given that Kansas is arguably one of the reddest of the red states, doesn't it seem curious that we have a Democrat for a governor and Democrat representing the 3rd Congressional District (who, by the way, WON Johnson County---the reddest of the red counties in the district).

Then we have the losers---Ryun, Tiahart, and Moran---How many times do these clowns show up on the political radar screen?

Then we have our Senators: Roberts is too busy running the Intelligence Committee to do any useful work, And Good Ol' Sam Brownback is running for President (Don't ask for his help any time soon---unless you have a problem that requires a tax break to fix). Phil Kline and Connie Morris just add to the comedy.

I love to see the Rebublicans in disarray. Even Doonsbury isn't as entertaining as Kansas Republicans!

captain_poindexter 9 years, 3 months ago

why am I fred phelps? I hate that guy. and hannity is a hack. SAT scores are immaterial, seriously. you have to do better than that. disagree with Bush on the war and whatever. the fact is this is america and I know many folks that excelled on standardized tests that are pretty mediocre. I was simply joking about how a grown man is still talking about SAT scores when he could be talking about more substantive issues. remember, its not always the 'smartest' people who are successful in this world. sorry but true. look at me, case in point. lol

captain_poindexter 9 years, 3 months ago

and for the record, I'll take a lower SAT score to be the leader of the free world. for what its worth.

captain_poindexter 9 years, 3 months ago

by the way laughingatallofu,

if you really think Johnson county is the reddest of the red counties in Kansas you need to study your kansas politics a little more.

Johnson, wyandotte, segwick and shawnee counties are pretty even - brownback, bush, et. al. get the lowest percentage of the vote in those counties.

use a different example and maybe you have something.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 3 months ago

Hey, Kevin, I'm a republican. What does that say about the party?

captain_poindexter 9 years, 3 months ago

alright, lets go. let fly, what would you like me to attempt to defend?

and don't get so defensive, the mere fact that you have done so much even puzzles me more why you would even bring up SAT scores. my point wasn't that your scores weren't good or better than Bush's or whatever. my point was that it is a juvenile argument, "I'm smarter than you are" arguments are pointless.

by the way, my views may match Hannity's from time to time, and maybe a lot; what does that mean? my views also alight with William F. Buckley, Byron York, George Will (except for the war), et. al. just because I may agree with someone on a point doesn't mean I am a bomb thrower like hannity.

and, please, you cannot defend the accusation that my views alight with phelps. I support civil unions I don't like it when people protest ANY funeral I don't think god hates __ etc etc.

so lay it on me, lets talk about bush and maybe I'll defend him.

captain_poindexter 9 years, 3 months ago

and, by the way, please find a different word than ad hominem, its just getting boring. and a knuckle-dragging conservative like me doesn't understand anyway

captain_poindexter 9 years, 3 months ago

you think you know me wendt, but I've been more than willing to listen to arguments, and I know personally that YOU know that considering I've given you the benefit of the doubt on many things.

give me some issue questions and I'll give you MY position. I'm not afraid of your brain.

captain_poindexter 9 years, 3 months ago

final point: from above

"I talked about a very substantive issue with you (The University of Kansas Cardiac Transplant scandal and the role of the Attorney General's office in covering it up) and all you did was notify your superiors at KU, who subsequently notified KUMC. All of you spent the afternoon looking at the real evidence on my website.

all I did was notify my superiors at KU? Huh? how did I do that? I don't have any superiors at KU and the first I heard of that was when you posted the website. so who are you taking to? me?

b_asinbeer 9 years, 3 months ago

Arminius--

"Instead, he[Mr. Bush] went to Afghanistan, defeated the Taliban, and then went to remove Saddam, a state sponsor of terrorism, from power." I had to respond to your flat-out lies. A) the Taliban is not "officially" in power, but they have many warlords that control certain areas of the country. In fact, Mr. Bush did not finish the job (what a surprise there), and the Taliban is gaining strength. With most of our troops in Iraq, what did Mr. Bush expect? On paper, they are defeated, but in real life....give me a break. Stop believing everything Fox News tells you Arminius.

B)Yes, Saddam is out of power. I'll give you that much. But, state-sponsored terrorism (and I'm assuming you are talking about Al-Qaeda)? Please, spare me of your lies once more. The September 11th commission found not link between Al Qaeda and Saddam. ZERO cooperation between the two. Have you had the chance to skim that baby ever since it came out?

Thank goodness I got that out of my chest. Have a nice day.

"Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job"--9/2/2005

b_asinbeer 9 years, 3 months ago

Arminius....

Karzai is the country's leader. But that doesn't mean that the Taliban has been defeated. They are not officially in charge, but who do you think some of the warlords are? You guessed it, Taliban members.

Please stop twisting the facts. You are claiming that Al-Qaeda and and Iraq have links between each other. But they don't. The 9/11 commission proved that. As for other terrorism links....I don't deny it. Have never denied it. So, pay attention before you make feeble attempts at a rebuttal.

In the article that you gave (fas.org)..."Additionally, the indictment states that Al Qaeda reached an agreement with Iraq not to work against the regime of Saddam Hussein and that they would work cooperatively with Iraq, particularly in weapons development."

You however fail to notice that Iraq never did cooperate with Al Qaeda (tell me, where are the weapons then?). That's what the 9/11 commission said. There is evidence that al qaeda wanted to work with iraq, but they never did. So, your little article proves nothing. Where does it say that they worked cooperatively? Nowhere. Next time, please don't distort the facts (again).

If you don't like any of my answers, fine. But please answer me this, how many of Al Qaeda's 9/11 hijackers trained in Iraq or by Saddam? (Hint, it's a number between -1 and 1).

That's all. Have a good day.

"Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job" 9/2/2005

b_asinbeer 9 years, 3 months ago

So, why don't we attack Iran? or Syria? Libya? (I know, Libya says they're complying, etc. etc.) How about Pakistan? How about Russia? How about North Korea? How about Palestine? How about Israel? All of these support terrorism in one way or another....why not go after them too? Sort this thing out "Texas style justice", eh?

Oh that's right....they don't have the oil Mr. Bush needs to enrich his friends at Hallibruton (hint...look up the words no-bid and Halliburton contract for the oil fields that belong only and ONLY to the citizens of Iraq we are trying to "free").

"Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job" 9/2/2005

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 3 months ago

For someone who hates Clinton as much as you do, your "if Clinton did it, it's OK" measure of acceptability is more than a little odd.

b_asinbeer 9 years, 3 months ago

Arminius---

There was no no-bid contract for Halliburton during the Bush administration? Please....spare me (again) of your lies and stupidity. I think I have more useful stuff like watching paint dry as opposed to arguing with a right wing republican nut. Remember Arminius....

"Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job." 9/2/2005

b_asinbeer 9 years, 3 months ago

Arminius...

Please don't quote and cite republican sources like townhall.com....only brings down your already low credibility. Find a non-partisan site and then make your argument.

It was nice trying to argue with you, but looks like we're not going to change each other's minds, so I guess it's not worth our time(s) to smack each other back and forth, right?

See you in another post.

"Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job." 9/2/2005