A man found dead June 19 at a Clinton State Park music festival died of a drug overdose.
Coroner Erik Mitchell reported that 29-year-old William J. Pospisil - who witnesses said went by the nickname "Squirrel" and had no permanent home - died from an overdose of methadone and cocaine while attending the Wakarusa Music & Camping Festival. The autopsy report was released Thursday.
Pospisil had family living in Key Largo, Fla., but was described by witnesses as a "transient who traveled around to music festivals," according to the report. The witnesses said that the previous night Pospisil had drunk alcohol and taken cocaine, methadone and the anti-anxiety drug Xanax.
They said he had seizures that night and stumbled to a place where he fell asleep for the evening. The next afternoon, he was seen lying in the shade with his eyes open at one point and appeared to go back to sleep.
Later, when the spot where he was lying became sunny, some of his friends pulled him into the shade. Shortly after 4 p.m., they realized he didn't have a pulse and wasn't breathing.
Brett Mosiman, one of the festival's organizers, described the death as "a tragic accident."
"Hopefully, by his case, people get the message that drugs are dangerous," he said.
Illegal drug use is commonplace at music festivals such as Wakarusa, but Mosiman said he didn't think the death should be seen as a reflection on the festival. When alcohol-related accidents involving college students happen, he said, people rarely criticize colleges for being a magnet for underage drinkers.
He said the 15,000-person festival was promoted as an opportunity to come together and hear music in a natural setting - not as a place to do drugs.
"I think that we will try to be more proactive in educating people that they can have a really great time without that stuff," he said.
The festival was in its second year, and Mosiman said he was planning for a third. The only other major hitch in this year's festival happened when emergency workers spent a day searching the park for a Connecticut man thought to be missing. As it turned out, the man simply left the festival without telling anyone.
A spokeswoman for the Douglas County Sheriff's Office, which patrolled the festival, issued a statement saying there's a potential for illegal drug use at any large gathering.
"Our officers make every attempt to detect and take appropriate action in these situations," Lt. Kari Wempe said. "Our sympathies go out to the family of William Pospisil."
Note: The online version of this story originally identified the photo above of Brett Mosiman as William Pospisil. That error has been corrected.
Wakarusa Festival 2005
More about the Wakarusa Festival
- 6News video: Cause of death for man at Wakarausa Festival released (09-08-05)
- Coroner: Festival camper died of overdose (09-09-05)
- Wakarusa officials reflect on event (06-24-05)
- Missing camper mystery solved (06-22-05)
- 6News video: Missing festival-goer has been found (06-21-05)
- Missing festival-goer has been found (06-21-05)
- As Wakarusa festival-goers roll out of town, recyclers step in (06-21-05)
- 6News video: Death at Wakarusa causes concern (06-20-05)
- Festival deemed a hot success (06-20-05)
- 6News video: Authorities investigating death at festival (06-19-05)
- Fans favor 'intimacy' of Wakarusa festival (06-19-05)
- Thousands find bliss at Wakarusa music fest (06-18-05)
- Critics pick top weekend shows at Wakarusa festival (06-18-05)
- 6News video: Safety the main concern at Wakarusa Festival (06-17-05)
- Event not much of a boon for Lawrence merchants (06-17-05)
- 15,000 expected as fest gets off to colorful start (06-17-05)
- Critics pick can't-miss Wakarusa acts (06-17-05)
- Survival guide details the do's and don'ts of fest (06-17-05)
- 6News video: Wakarusa Festival getting bigger, funkier (06-16-05)
- Wakarusa Festival rolls out welcome mat (06-16-05)
- 6News video: Wakarusa Music Festival organizers roll out welcome mat (06-15-05)
- 6News video: Second-annual Wakarusa Festival organizers hit the road (04-25-05)
- Wakarusa festival to return in mid-June to Clinton Lake (04-23-05)
- More stories on the Wakarusa Music & Camping Festival »»
- 2005 Multimedia:
- World Online: Panorama -- Main Stage at Wakarusa Music & Camping Festival
- Audio Slideshow: What are your thoughts on the Wakarusa Music & Camping Festival?
- Photos: Seen & heard at the Wakarusa Festival
- Photo Gallery: Party pics: Wakarusa Fest
- Photo Gallery: Day Four -- Wakarusa Music & Camping Festival
- Photo Gallery: Day Three -- Wakarusa Music & Camping Festival
- Photo Gallery: Day Two -- Wakarusa Music & Camping Festival
- Photo Gallery: Day One -- Wakarusa Music & Camping Festival
- Photo Gallery: 2005 Wakarusa Music Festival Acts
- Photo Gallery: Waka Wagon
- 2005 Wakarusa Festival Map -- PDF | JPG
- Artists Schedules- 2005