Businesses, schools and other individuals and establishments are continuing to organize events to raise money for Hurricane Katrina relief. Here are some of them:
¢ Hurst Fine Diamonds, 3140 Iowa, will donate 5 percent of all sales during September for relief.
¢ The West Side Deli and Bistro, 4931 W. Sixth St., will hold a $100-a-plate, Cajun-style benefit dinner with wine on Oct. 1. Seatings will be at 6 p.m., 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. To make reservations, call the business at 840-9044.
¢ World Wine & Beer, 3106 Iowa, is giving 5 percent of all sales to hurricane relief. The money raised this week will be given to 6News' "Hurricane Katrina: We Care" fundraiser Sunday.
¢ Lawrence High School staff and students will hold a Lions Pride Walk from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sept. 17 at the high school track. Students will collect donations to participate in the walk.
On Sunday, the high school band and orchestra will hold a marathon concert and donations will be accepted.
Collection boxes also have been set up in the school for students to contribute.
¢ Prairie Park Elementary School will team with 105. 9 the Lazer and the Douglas County Red Cross to raise funds for victims. They will have a "Hat Day" on Friday at the school, 2711 Kensington Road. Students and staff will pay $1 for the privilege of wearing a favorite hat to school.
¢ Douglas County veterinarians say anyone who wants to donate to the care of animal victims of the hurricane can call the following numbers:
Louisiana Veterinary Medical Assn., 800-928-LVMA.
Louisiana State School of Veterinary Medicine, 225-925-3980.
American Veterinary Medical Foundation, 800-248-2862, extension 6689.
Related content about the Hurricane Katrina aftermath
- 6News video: KU group makes toys for Katrina victims (02-12-06)
- 6News video: Group organizing trip to aid New Orleans hurricane victims (02-12-06)
- 6News Lawrence's complete Hurricane Katrina coverage »»
- Delayed response to disaster irks Lawrence native (03-06-06)
- Katrina underscores public's frustration with government (03-06-06)
- Video: Bush was warned before Katrina (03-02-06)
- Evacuees check out, protest as FEMA hotel deadline passes (03-02-06)
- Complete coverage of Hurricane Katrina »»
- Photo Gallery: Hurricane Helpers
- Photo Gallery: Hurricane Katrina
- On the Street: Do you think FEMA could handle an emergency if it happened here? (09-13-05)
- On the Street: What is your opinion of the president's response to the Hurricane Katrina emergency? (09-08-05)
- On the Street: What should people do locally to help hurricane victims? (09-02-05)