There have been many givers. Now Donna Watson needs some takers.
"We have about 1,700 square feet of stuff, and we're out of room," Watson, manager of Boardwalk Apartments, said of community donations in the wake of the Oct. 7 fire at the complex.
"We have more than enough stuff; the fire victims just need to come by and get it and take advantage of the community's kindness," she said.
Since the blaze that destroyed the 76-unit apartment building in the 500 block of Fireside Drive, Boardwalk management has accepted donations of furniture, clothing and other supplies to be given to fire victims.
"We haven't given away as much as we thought we would," Watson said.
And donations are still being collected and offered, Watson said, including collections through Waves of Relief, an organization led by Lawrence businessman Tom Van Holt.
How to get help
If you're a fire victim needing clothing, furniture or other supplies, here are some places to get help.
¢ Call InterFaith volunteers at 842-7618, or e-mail email@example.com. ¢ Go to the LEO Center storage facility just north of the railroad tracks near Seventh and New York streets from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. ¢ Contact the Boardwalk Apartments management at 842-4444.
Fire victims needing help don't need to remain at Boardwalk to receive the donations, Watson said.
Some of the supplies are being redirected to five people who were displaced early Tuesday morning by a blaze at 12th and Tennessee streets.
"All they need to do is show proof that they lived there," Watson said.
Help for fire victims also is being offered by the Lawrence Community InterFaith Initiative. The biggest need at the moment is for television sets, said Steve Ozark, who is leading the relief effort.
"We don't need any more clothes, cans of corn or green beans," he said.
Community InterFaith has helped several victims, but Ozark believes more could use the help.
"I think part of it is some of them have been getting out of the hospitals, they have been finding other places to stay and they are just trying to put their lives back together," he said.
Boardwalk Apartments Fire
More on the Boardwalk Apartments Fire
- 6News video: 'Boardwalk Fire Trial' set to begin (02-01-07)
- 6News video: Confession in Boardwalk fire case under question (09-19-06)
- 6News video: Fire victims struggling with medical bills (08-09-06)
- 6News video: Fire victim shares story of survival (11-27-05)
- Judge allows confession in murder, arson case (02-02-07)
- Arson suspect wants statement off record (09-20-06)
- Boardwalk fire victims see some money from state (08-10-06)
- Time barely starting to heal wounds (02-27-06)
- Agent: Design helped fire's spread (02-24-06)
- Deputies honored for bravery (01-25-06)
- Photo Gallery: Jason Allen Rose
- Photo Gallery: After the fire at Boardwalk Apartments
- Photo Gallery: Fire at Boardwalk Apartments
- More in 2005 Boardwalk Fire Â»