Archive for Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Local needs

October 19, 2005

To the editor:

I would like to request that everyone who reads this do me a favor: Skip a meal and then think about how that feels. Better yet, skip two and try to function. Not feeling so well, huh?

I have volunteered at the Lawrence Salvation Army for more than five years and never have I seen the food pantry so bare for so long. Despite mentions in the Journal-World of the desperate need for food donations, the food pantry still has almost nothing. Other food pantries are experiencing similar dire straits.

While I certainly wouldn't discourage people from donating to hurricane relief efforts, I would like to remind people that families, CHILDREN in your own neighborhood are also in need. Many families depend on what local food pantries have to offer, thus when they are bare, there are no meals.

If you have the means, please take the time to donate something to these well-deserving food pantries. Your donation may make the difference between a child having nothing or near nothing to eat and having a healthy meal. Lawrence is a wonderful community, but please don't forget there are also people in need in your own backyard!

Jennifer L. L'Heureux,

Lawrence

Comments

Richard Heckler 9 years, 10 months ago

The LINK kitchen is also good as they serve many many meals.

Spoken1 9 years, 10 months ago

Jennifer:

Have you noticed the price of gas lately, or the price of anything else lately? Have you heard how high heating costs are going to be this winter? Have you ever heard the saying 'Charity begins at home'? Do you have any children of your own? The reason I ask these things is because I believe the reason you are seeing the pantry as bare as it is, is because people don't have the extra to give. Most of us are just trying to feed our kids, and preparing for what may be a winter we cannot afford to have. Seems like every time I drive by the SA, I see what appears to be quite a few able bodied young men and women standing around. We have a bus system, and it goes out to the business park east of town. Pearson (in the business park) is almost always hiring at 11-12 dollars an hour. Please send some of those able bodied young men and women out to Pearson to get a job, and they will not be hungry. Plus, that will take those people out of the system, where the donations can go to help those that are truly in dire straights (the children). I hate to say it, but to use your quote "please don't forget there are also people in need in your own backyard", I haven't forgotten, in this case those people are my children, I must take care of them first.

craigers 9 years, 10 months ago

I have to agree Spoken1 but I don't think she was telling everybody to just start donating right away. She was speaking of those who are going out of their way to donate to the hurricane victims and then when the time comes they never donate here at home. I have always taken old clothes to Goodwill, should I be taking them to the SA to have them given away instead of sold?

kansasfire911 9 years, 10 months ago

Preach on Spoken!. I bust my hump everyday for minimul pay to feed MY children and keep a warm roof over there heads and never ask for a hand out. Why should I supply the food pantry when my own food pantry is running low.

craigers 9 years, 10 months ago

You all still don't get it. The letter is written to those whol are pouring resources to the hurricane victims yet will never donate to the local needs. Man, not everything written in a letter like this is addressed to every person. If you can't help, you probably aren't sending money to the hurricane victims, are you?

kansasboy 9 years, 10 months ago

I donated to the WORKING CLASS of Huricane Katrina. Not the bums that plauge downtown Lawrence who's only goal in life is to wait for the LINK kitchen to open. I'm sorry if this offends any bums....oh what they can't afford a computer.