Archive for Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Bring on ban

October 19, 2005

To the editor:

I wish to respond to Ed White's Oct. 7 harangue against a suggested ban on cell phone use by drivers in Lawrence. An Associated Press article dated Sept. 21 said, "11 states and the District of Columbia already restrict cell phone use among novice drivers, and some ban handheld cell phones completely, according to the National Transportation Safety Board." On May 11, the Chicago City Council passed an ordinance that bans drivers from using cell phones without a hands-free device.

As Jonathan Adkins, spokesman for the Governors Highway Safety Assn., said, "People get in these big heavy conversations and they're not focused on their driving."

I argue that having children in the car, listening to the radio and talking to passengers don't begin to cause the level of distraction provided by cell phone conversations. My personal experience with close calls bears it out. So I'll take my stand with "Big Brother" and against Ed White and his thousands who will attempt to displace all those attempting to pass "such a stupid ban in Lawrence."

Bring it on!

Bob Lewis,

Lawrence

Comments

kansasfire911 9 years, 4 months ago

If they pass this ban I will ride naked on my Harley talking on the cell phone not wearing a helmet and drive right up to a bar walk in light a ciggarette cut the grass and put it in plastic bag and do what what other stupid idiotic ban they have out right now.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 4 months ago

49 countries have a ban in place http://www.cellular-news.com/car_bans/

Friday 10/14/05 at a 5 corner intersection a nice convertible pulled into the intersection to make a left turn. After one oncoming vehicle passed through thus giving the left turning vehicle the right of way and tying up the intersection he sat in the middle of the intersection chatting for a bit...then realized he should follow through with his plan. 3 other cars patiently waited and I'm not sure he was aware of other waiting vehicles. Not only that he appeared too old to be a novice driver. This is but one of many incidents.

ryanjasondesch 9 years, 4 months ago

OK, what next? I'm so thrilled that the government is looking out for me, what on earth would I do without their guidence? Why does our government hate America?

peter brady 9 years, 4 months ago

mr. lewis needs a civics lesson. no matter how many thousands supporting, or not supporting a ban makes any difference. only 3 of the 5 elected representatives are needed to create, modify, and pass laws for all of us. now here comes the best part, how much influence can mr. lewis exert on just three of our commissioners? that is all the civics anyone needs to understand our current situation.

craigers 9 years, 4 months ago

No matter how many electronic devices are available to the public you will still have stupid drivers, ban or not. It is nice knowing that people are looking out for us, but as we keep going down this path, they might ban smoking while driving next? When people throw out their cigarette butts, it might cause other drivers to swerve and wreck. I think I have the next item on the agenda.

Skeptic 9 years, 4 months ago

"I argue that having children in the car, listening to the radio and talking to passengers don't begin to cause the level of distraction provided by cell phone conversations"

And you would be wrong.