A 67-year-old Tonganoxie man was killed Tuesday afternoon in an apparent accidental fire in his home shop, the Tonganoxie Mirror reported.
Police said that Cecil Williams, 923 Pleasant, died in the accident, which occurred about 4:30 p.m.
"We don't know whether the lawn mower caught on fire and he tired to put it out. We don't know," said police Chief Kenny Carpenter.
The state fire marshal was called to investigate.
The accident apparently occurred in a shed behind Williams' home.
"The shed didn't burn," Carpenter said.
However, some materials inside the small building did catch on fire, he said.
Williams lived at the home for about a year.