Archive for Saturday, October 1, 2005

Gift of life

October 1, 2005

To the editor:

This Sunday, I will stand, not minding any ridicule I might receive, because I must thank Kathleen for saving my life. Forty-seven years ago, she was faced with a choice. Should she listen to her fears and end her accidental pregnancy, or should she give her baby the gift of life? I thank God she chose life. My birth mother gave me so much: a loving adoptive family, a wonderful life, the chance to be married to an awesome man, the tremendous privilege of being a mother of seven and the gift of getting to experience being a grandmother this December. Thank you Kathleen! This is why my whole family and I are standing along Iowa Street in the national event, "Life Chain," this Sunday, holding signs that say, "Abortion hurts women," "Adoption a Loving Option" and "Abortion kills children." I will never stop being thankful because I am the recipient of life through her choice.

Cindy Barclay,

Lawrence

Comments

Jamesaust 9 years, 2 months ago

An excellant reminder.

As it briefly became clear when there was some discussion earlier this year of banning "gay" adoption, it is shameful the number of abandoned and orphaned children in Kansas and the failure of the State to take the necessary steps to find them families.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 2 months ago

Thank you Cindy.

we will be praying for you; we know personally that abortion hurts women.

Stand for life, stand for the children to come, stand courageously.

God bless you indeed.

lunacydetector 9 years, 2 months ago

it sounds like tom paine should be grateful he was given the opportunity to live by his birth mother in order to write his response advocating it would've been okay if she ended his life instead. -and he would've been okay with it? how convoluted!

ECM 9 years, 2 months ago

"It clearly may not be, when looked at from anything other than a purely selfish perspective."

Selfish, actually it is just the opposite.

Wow for a person who receieved the ulimate gift you don't sound at all grateful. You should be.

craigers 9 years, 2 months ago

I would have to agree with you lunacydetector.

mermily 9 years, 2 months ago

i agree. i do not think that happiness at being alive means you necessarily must want to deny others their due reproductive choice as cindy suggests.

the issue around abortion is choice- not if you love your own life but if you have respect for the woman that gave it to you and her decision to do so. choice. that is it.