Archive for Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Fire destroys metal shop building

November 23, 2005


— A space heater was blamed for a Monday night fire that heavily damaged a metal shop building at 315 E. Fifth St. in Perry.

Volunteer firefighters found the building fully engulfed by flames when they responded after several 911 calls were received by emergency dispatchers shortly after 7 p.m.

About 25 firefighters battled the blaze before bringing it under control about an hour later. The fire was fueled by gasoline, oil and other combustibles, said David Warriner, chief of Jefferson County Fire District 2.

Responding to the fire were departments from Perry and several rural fire departments. Twice fire units had to return to the scene during the night to extinguish rekindled fires, Warriner said.

The building housed a private restoration and repair shop owned by Richard Wilks, a longtime Perry resident and owner of the Perry Bar and Grill.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.