Archive for Saturday, November 19, 2005

Road to nowhere may be going places

Congress gives SLT $1.5M jump-start

November 19, 2005

Efforts to complete the controversial South Lawrence Trafficway have been given a $1.5 million boost by federal lawmakers.

U.S. Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan., announced Friday that he has successfully included $1.5 million worth of funding in a federal transportation bill to jump-start work on the eastern portion of the trafficway, which has been stalled by concerns that the proposed route through the Baker Wetlands would be environmentally damaging and would harm nearby Haskell Indian Nations University.

"Construction of the South Lawrence Trafficway is long overdue," Roberts said. "We have been debating this project for over 20 years, and I call on my colleagues at the Kansas Department of Transportation, the city of Lawrence and Douglas County to use this federal investment to get this project moving."

Roberts specifically said the money should be used to complete the 32nd Street alignment of the road, which has been approved by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The 32nd Street route would run the road through the Baker Wetlands.

Trafficway supporters acknowledged that the $1.5 million is far from the estimated $110 million needed to complete the bypass, which would connect Interstate 70 west of Lawrence with Kansas Highway 10 east of Lawrence. But supporters said the funding could be effective in priming the pump for future funding and convincing state officials the project is feasible.

A sign marks the edge of the South Lawrence Trafficway bridge, often called the Bridge to Nowhere, because it does not extend east of U.S. Highway 59, at right. City commissioners Tuesday night agreed to endorse a plan to build the South Lawrence Trafficway through the Baker Wetlands, an area that American Indians and others consider sacred.

"This is terrific," said County Commissioner Bob Johnson. "This clearly is not enough money to complete the trafficway, but it would seem to me to give KDOT the basis to begin some activity to complete the trafficway."

Before the latest funding, KDOT officials have said it would be difficult to start the project because it lacked funding and it would be difficult to garner funding from lawmakers because it is expected trafficway opponents would take legal action to stop the project.

Opponents, though, have not yet filed any such lawsuit. And Johnson said they likely would not because they know that the threat of a lawsuit is enough to stop the state from moving ahead on the project.

"It has been a classic standoff," Johnson said.

But now Johnson said the $1.5 million provided just enough money for the state to begin work that would force opponents to file a lawsuit. Johnson said a lawsuit would be beneficial to the project because it would allow the legal arguments to be solved once and for all.

Bob Eye, a Topeka lawyer and Lawrence resident who has represented trafficway opponents, said he was prepared to fight efforts to construct the trafficway. He said the new federal money should be used to explore alternatives to running the road through the wetlands.

"It is just good money after bad," Eye said. "They're the ones that control the bulldozers, so we'll see what happens. But I think their zeal to pave the wetlands is misguided and ultimately contrary to the community's best interests."

Steve Swartz, a spokesman with the Kansas Department of Transportation, said the department was surprised to learn of the funding and had not included any money in its comprehensive transportation plan to complete the estimated $110 million bypass project to connect Interstate 70 west of Lawrence with Kansas Highway 10 east of Lawrence.

A spokeswoman for Roberts said the senator decided to lobby for the funding after being asked by many Lawrence citizens over the years, including Johnson, Lawrence Chamber of Commerce president Lavern Squier and Lawrence businessman Bennett Griffin.

Roberts said the trafficway was a critical piece of the efforts to build a life sciences corridor between Manhattan's Kansas State University and the Kansas City area.

"The city of Lawrence, with all its wonderful resources, is the crossroads of this life sciences effort," Roberts said.

Roberts said the SLT project should include a previously negotiated agreement between KDOT and Baker University, the owner of the wetlands, that would pay the university approximately $8.5 million to create and maintain 300 acres of new wetlands in the area to replace the approximately 65 to 100 acres that would be disturbed by the road project.

In the same transportation bill, U.S. Rep. Dennis Moore, a Democrat who represents east Lawrence, announced he successfully added $800,000 to serve as seed money to extend 31st Street east of Haskell Avenue to connect to Kansas Highway 10 near Noria Road.

A 2001 study by the city and the county concluded that 31st Street likely would need to be expanded and extended by 2012 to meet future traffic needs. A cost estimate for the extension was developed, but it would be far more than $800,000. The report estimated it would cost $4.85 million to repave and improve the intersections on the existing 31st Street.

City Commissioner Mike Amyx said he was excited that the 31st Street project also received federal support.

"I just think this is a big need for our community," Amyx said. "If designed properly, it can act as a very good east-west roadway system that can move traffic and not have a negative effect on the neighborhoods or Haskell Indian Nations University."

Eye said whether his group would oppose the 31st Street project would depend on whether the wetlands would be disturbed.

- Staff writer Scott Rothschild contributed to this story.

Comments

Sigmund 9 years, 1 month ago

"Road to Nowhere ..." I guess if "nowhere" is KC to Lawrence and back. Once again the LJW headline writers show their bias. Well I guess there are plenty of people in KC who would agree that Lawrence is not worth going to or living in. I am suprised the LJW editors couldn't find a way to publish YABAFP (Yet Another Boardwalk Apartment Fire Picture).

The_Voice_of_Reason 9 years, 1 month ago

O please tell me they will finish the SLT! I drive for a living in this fair town of mine (i'm the pizza guy) and I Hate with a capital H the traffic here. I heard one time the Lawrence road system was designed for about 70K people and last I knew there were about 90K people living in Lawrence. Thats not including the thousands of students who come here for nine months out of the year. Add those togeather and throw a KU B-ball game on top of it, your looking at the possiblity of 120K people being in this town at one time... Futhermore where does more than half of the traffic go at about five or six o'clock or after a KU game? Johnson county anyone? Yes, no, maybe? Whats the major road to Johnson county? K10 anyone? Yes K10 aka east 23rd St. Anybody tried to get down east 23rd during rush hour? Its hell let me tell ya... and about the ninth circle of it when your trying to get there with someones food getting cold and the fact that tips start falling when the temp of your pizza does... So it would greatly improve the community to finish the SLT and take some or most of the burden off of east 23rd and keep your pizza warm to... As for the "wetlands" the Man made wetlands, yes God did not put those there. WE did! Their a nice little drainage ditch that grew trees and is now home to a few frogs. (I've been there more than a few times) Yes there nice but so is being able to get somewhere in this town in under 15 mins. And for the people that will hate me for these comments... And in closing... I saw a bumper sticker a few days ago that said "NO SLT, Yes Wetlands" the sticker was on the back of a 12 mpg giant SUV... I guess he was one of those hard core conservationist......

gccs14r 9 years, 1 month ago

Gotta go with jabotb. Build the SLT south of the river or don't build it at all. Considering the inevitable decline of personal transportation modules as fossil fuels disappear, my inclination has shifted from "south of the river" to "not at all." Our highway system will be seen as an anachronism in 50 years as internal-combustion vehicles become too expensive to use and we revert to saddle, rail, and sail to move around this planet.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 1 month ago

Let's see, Lawrence population is generally estimated to be around 80,000-- add 16,000 for a basketball game, assuming none of those people are from Lawrence and also assuming that no one leaves Lawrence during a BB game, that would mean 96,000 people during BB games, but TVoR's math says that all adds up to 120,000.

Granted, a football game might bring the number of people in Lawrence close to 120,000, but hardly any of that traffic would use a completed SLT to go to Memorial Stadium or Allen Fieldhouse. Those form JOCO do and still would use 23 rd St.

Sure, traffic sucks in this town at times-- just as it sucks in KC almost anytime around rush hour. But if you want to live in a city, you have to put up with city traffic.

Put the SLT south of the river where it belongs and where it would function as a real bypass, and it could be built without any delays from lawsuits. And then give the stolen wetlands back to Haskell.

cowboy 9 years, 1 month ago

Build it , the traffic was backed up from louisiana all the way to haskell for two hours last evening

For all of you folks that think it should be south of the river , have you ever bothered to drive south , do you think that therre is a barren wasteland out there.

There are homes , family farms , wildlife , habitat. And then there is the swamp.

Build it thru the swamp !

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 1 month ago

And that swamp is only important to Injuns and environmentalists whose opinions should never be considered when someone needs to get somewhere fast. By all means let's pave over the swamp in a futile attempt to alleviate one iota (ok, maybe it would change an iota or two) of the traffic on 23rd St.

If I had my druthers, I'm with gccs14r-- don't build it at all. A common definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. More pavement and more cars (which inevitably follow) will not eliminate the frustration of traffic. If you don't like traffic, move someplace without any cars or roads.

jranderson 9 years, 1 month ago

I manage to avoid driving on 23rd almost entirely by using alternative routes. I think people can learn to avoid traffic if they don't feel that they always have to be in a hurry. Are we still stealing land from the Native Americans? For a road? It's pretty simple, we value money more than nature.

Terry Bush 9 years, 1 month ago

I have thoughts on both sides of this fence. On onehand, it would be nice to speed around all the traffic on 23rd or 6th street(s). On the other....

I wonder why we need a road that helps people from KC and/or Topeka speed AROUND our city on their way to each other? And why spend so much money when the economy (personal and governmental) is in such bad shape.

I also wonder if the problems that led to the impasse 5+ Years ago are now gone or if = again = we will see money from the feds dry up without a road being built. Cause this road will be hard to build if the environmentalists and/or Native American activists have not, by now, been placated or legally silenced. If not - even though there is (once more) federal money available to help with the job, those opposing the course laid out (south or north of river) will again use every legal means available to prevent, stall, and fight the plan. These forces of opposition (Especially the Indians) are real good at fighting against things they do not like/want. They may not win battles, but because they do not give up on even the smallest matter, they often win wars.

So whether you are in favor of the road being finished, or not, if the forces that oppossed it last time aren't gone, you can bet you won't see it happen.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 1 month ago

Pat likes torturing Injuns, too. Why should all that torture be restricted to just towel-heads?

Bustamove 9 years, 1 month ago

Well folks I live south of the wetlands and the road would come right through the middle of my barn and my neighbors living room and to close for comfort for my neighbors. We also have deer, rabbits frogs turtles birds and many many other living animals on our land. We also have a cemetery on the South side of the Wakarusa River. But only white folks are buried there. I don't need the highway in my yard...I would have to drive 1 1/2 miles just to get on it. I hope all the folks who want the road moved south of the river wake up in the morning to find traffic from 23st rerouted to the street they live on for just one day.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 1 month ago

Better to shove it through the Injuns back yard, right Bustamove? NIMBY is a common human reaction to lots of disrupting infrastructure like highways, but in a town that's 80% white, it's not surprising whose back yard gets chosen for this highway.

bugmenot 9 years, 1 month ago

JABOTB, I'm guessing the road whose closer wouldn't be the answer. Now I want the government to give me my handouts based what race I was born.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 1 month ago

Closer to what? If you want the SLT close, put it along the 23rd S. route.

And what handouts are you talking about? Are you referring to the deferred payments that the Indians "sold" all their land to the US for?

Instead making your next mortagage or rent payment, just tell your bank or landlord that you're tired of giving them handouts. I'm sure they'll be satisfied by that explanation.

Jamesaust 9 years, 1 month ago

So in a week that Congress has voted to cut medicaid, food stamps, medical research and center for disease control funding, in addition to student loans (all to make way for more tax cuts and avoid dealing with a record budget deficit), Senator Pat takes a break from torturing detainees just long enough to find a pittance for the SLT so that people who willingly choose to live in SW Lawrence will be able to arrive at the jobs they willingly choose to have across the city and into the next county?

I'm comforted to know that Kansas has its priorities straight.

Only in America would someone choose to live far enough away from their job to require a 50+ mile daily trip and then expect (besides cheap gas) that government will move heaven and earth (at the expense of hundreds of millions of other peoples' dollars) to make their odyssey a teeny-tiny bit more convenient. If it were such a problem, they'd move closer to work.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 9 years, 1 month ago

HURRAY!!!!! It is about time. I have lived here for 30 years and have seen these shameless attempts to confound and delay the orderly development of the southern part of the city. Outsiders from Arizona and South Dakota have taken it upon themselves to dictate to a community that they will attend school in and then leave in shambles on account of their notions that someone owes them something. The evils of the past towards the indians (sorry,, native Americans) are recorded history. They were shameful and disgusting. But no one alive today is affected by them. This is a modern 21st century country that respects all ethnic classes, and all of us are in this together. If the students of Haskell want to observe their cultural history, then what are all those buildings, power lines, paved roads, permanent buildings and new cars doing on that campus? Their actions bely their words, to use an old adage, "the red man speak with a forked tongue". And it is also high time to drain that Haskell swamp, the source of most of our misquito problems out here in the southern part of the city.

lunacydetector 9 years, 1 month ago

building the highway south of the wakarusa will create sprawl, as population always goes towards major highways. this is why the corp decided on the 32nd street alignment. i find it quite ironic that the corps of engineers used the anti-growth logic to justify the 32nd street alignment and the anti-growth people b*tch and complain about it. it was a slap in the face, and these south of the wakarusa river lovers are just a bunch of big babies who can't get their way. whatever happened with the $3 Million Haskell wanted in order to allow the SLT? i remember an article in the paper a few years ago about this, then some guy had a dream that he saw skeletons in the swamp - or something like that. wasn't there ground penetrating radar to see if there were any bodies and they came up with nothing?

get this d*mn thing moving. it has been held up in court for 20 years by a handful of lawyers, even after a lawsuit was filed to have the lawrence populus vote on the road - the citizens reacted and overwhelmingly approved the building of the road.

i remember when the first leg of the SLT was constructed. some environmentalists sabotaged the construction equipment (causing tens of thousands of dollars worth of damage) and the construction company had to place armed guards around their equipment. violence and intimidation didn't work.

this is the united states of america. shouldn't majority rule? the majority already spoke and voted the SLT's approval.

build the d*mn road already.

bugmenot 9 years, 1 month ago

JABOTB, your example doesn't work sorry. And yes I'm referring to the HANDOUTS that certain people expect because they were born of a certain race.

kansasboy 9 years, 1 month ago

They need to get this done! I work in JOCO and live in West Lawrence. It takes me longer to go through town and get on K-10 than it does from K-10 to I-35 and Shawnee Mission Pkwy. As far as the Native Americans go, we have gotten good at stealing land from them over the past 200 years. We just need to send them on a new "Trail of Tears." ( I'm kidding of course so don't remove this post) But surely we can work something out.

kcwarpony 9 years, 1 month ago

Halito! tuschkahouma, I had not read your 11:44pm post when I posted at 11:45pm. The post I made should have been address to Pilgrim (and others). Sorry for the confusion. It seems we have the same goal in mind.

The_Voice_of_Reason 9 years, 1 month ago

Bow hunter I think your right on saying it would help balence the city and improve growth and traffic flow on the east side. I was born and raised on the east side of Lawrence, and it would be nice to see some decent housing developments go in on that side. The SLT is much needed for the growth of our town and not just for urban sprawl but for actual community growth and easement of traffic. Please KDOT get the d*mn road done!!

Kaw Pickinton 9 years, 1 month ago

Just build the damn thing south of the river. If it's so hard to get to "JOCO" then f***ing move back there!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 1 month ago

Let me sum up the fact-immune arguments for the SLT:

"I want my SLT and I want it now! Waaaaahhhh!!!! (or blaring your horns as you pass Haskell, as cowboy would have it.)"

james bush 9 years, 1 month ago

Build it already!!! Swamp lovers should be happy the KDOT would replace more than the wetland affected by the highway. I don't don't agree with the argument the Haskell backers make. The people who think traffic will be less in 20 years are crazy!

Charles L Bloss Jr 9 years, 1 month ago

I will believe it when I drive on it. It is a wonder anything ever gets done in Lawrence, since everyone thinks arguing and fighting about everything is their life's work. Thank you, Lynn

The_Voice_of_Reason 9 years, 1 month ago

Thank you jimincountry in 20 years there may not be internal combustion engines but there will still be cars of some kind and whatever power souces they have they will still need roads to go places. This isn't New york city where you can walk or bike everywhere its Lawrence Kansas and the world is a hair too large to not have roads....

cowboy 9 years, 1 month ago

1 . Fake Swamp 2. Cant haul freight on a bicycle Clark 3. Is not native american land 4. People live to the south. 5. Bugs and frogs live in the swamp 6. plenty of room along the river for the bugs and frogs 7. This is for Lawrence people trying to get around Lawrence 8. Haskell folks can start being part of the solution or move the University to somewhere else, what have they contributed to the community lately other than obstruction. 9. Just a question , does KDHE or anyone test this swamp for west nile presence

kcwarpony 9 years, 1 month ago

"Haskell folks can start being part of the solution or move the University to somewhere else, what have they contributed to the community lately other than obstruction."

cowboy, Haskell has tried to be part of the solution but on one seems to want to understand what our concerns are, take them or us seriously, or try to come to some sort of compromise. The give and take in this situation has been Haskell gives, Lawrence takes. Nothing else will do.

What have you contributed lately other than your attitude (dislike) towards Haskell (or dare I say Indians)? You might want to be careful or your true feelings will show.

The ways of man grow wicked when they want what they can't have.

Go South.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 1 month ago

Yea, cowboy, if those dang injuns can't start acting like respectable white folk, they ought to just go back where they came from.

kansasboy 9 years, 1 month ago

"If it's so hard to get to "JOCO" then f***ing move back there!" I guess that was directed at me since it came after my post about the highway faster than the streets of Lawrence. FYI I grew up here and work in JOCO for a decent job for decent wages. (Something Lawrence doesn't have."

Damn JABOTB why don't you call them savages while your at it..lol

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 1 month ago

I'll give you some credit, Macon. You aren't the least bit ashamed to wear your racism proudly.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 1 month ago

But I'm curious, Macon, if you don't like the deal that was made with the Indians, why don't you give them their land back instead of complaining about having to keep the deals the US govt made in exchange for that land?

Or do you think that they ought to be like the Mexicans, and be glad to just have menial jobs in the lands (Texas, NM, Ariz, Colo, Utah, California) that the US Govt stole from them?

kcwarpony 9 years, 1 month ago

macon47, Yep, we're sitting around...waiting on those payments to be made. Who knew we were dealing with a bunch a deadbeats.

Godot 9 years, 1 month ago

Forget the SLT, I'm banking on my own PAV. You know, the personal aviation vehicle that will make roads obsolete. This will be a small solar-powered, air borne vehicle that transports me from my high rise, elite condo in East Lawrence to my high paying job somewhere else, anywhere other than Lawrence. That is, of course, I am a Government Administrator. Then I can afford a Hummer.

cowboy 9 years, 1 month ago

kc war pony , I don't have to wear a badge of native approval for your benefit. You have pulled out the race card which is what you do every time without any real valid reson to hold lawrence hostage to the whims of Haskell ativists , outside community elders and your hired gun attorneys.

I have great respect for native americans and was raised with many in the south west and have hosted cheifs in my home , but I have little tolerance for this bogus crapola over the swamp generated by the Haskell activist community. In our politicly over-correct Lawrence one must be a complete lib tree hugger or be called a racist , Get REAL

kcwarpony 9 years, 1 month ago

cowboy, I don't remember asking for your approval. Yes, I will pull out the race card any time I suspect racism is involved. I found it easy to come to that conclusion from reading between the lines of what you wrote. Sorry to offend but maybe you should be more careful with your words. If I could come to those conclusions so could others. I don't see/feel any respect from you when you refer to our concerns as "bogus crapola" or what appears to be your unwillingness to listen, learn, and try to understand. It doesn't matter where you were raised or whom you had in your house, a closed mind will not resolve anything.

Mike Ford 9 years, 1 month ago

To the unknowing, the uneducated, and generally intellectually lazy American, (What? half of the posters on this subject),

This is what you've ignored, or what the Republican politicians you vote for in your laziness have allowed you to ignore. Being one of the many people surrounded by your ignorance, this what I won't let you ignore;

Haskell Indian Nations University once was comprised of 1,103 acres. Purchased with Indian monies from the treasury fund that appropriated Indian monies to Indian education, via the Civilization Act of March 3, 1819. I've personally researched over 100 treaties between 1820 and 1900 where the federal government paid for the taking of Indian lands with promises of Indian education. Haskell is an outgrowth of that treaty transaction, one of the few promises the government didn't really keep in it's pursuit to open Indian Country to the Wal-Mart non-thinking masses.

You, the ignorant,don't realize that the government is subsidizing your stay on Indian lands. You, the ignorant, are having the federal government pay your rent to Indian tribes for land your ancestors stole for pennies on the dollar. So who's getting the handout? really?

Baker stole the wetlands by violating the Indian School Surplus lands Act of 1962, or title 25, chapter 7, section 293 a, by acquiring 11 1/4 times the amount allowed by the provisions of the statute. They figured that if there was a 30 year period for the title to be cleared, no one would pay attention. I've paid attention, as have many other educated people. When a PRIVATE school is granted 572.68 acres at once, instead of the 50 acres allowed in the actual statute by law, crooked white people must be at it again, like they have been for 229 years.

In closing, federal laws involving the National Environmental Policy Act, National Historic Preservation Register, Section 106, and the Sacred Sites and the Traditional Cultural Properties legislation, along with the Native American Graves Protection and Reptriation Act, and American Indian Religious Freedom Act of 1978, all have specific reference to the Haskell Wetlands, which were wetlands even before WHITE ETHNOCENTRIC BIA officals ordered Haskell students to lay down tiles and help drain the wetlands for farmland. Dr. Boyd is no wetlands savior, he simply sort of undid what other paternal white people did before him. And no White man should be allowed to play God with the land.

Anolih tok nana kat alhih banoh. (What has been said is all true) Chahta anumpulili

kcwarpony 9 years, 1 month ago

"Well, considering Haskell doesn't own the flooded farmland, thus has nothing to say about this, I'd say your analysis is pretty much way off target."

Yes, you are correct but with all the land grabbing that as gone on and the fact the BIA gave away the land without regards to what Haskell (or the Indian community) wanted it is easy to feel as if it is still ours. There are strong emotions involved here and yes we do and will have a say as to what happens. It is easy to dismiss someone else's emotions and feelings but we are asking you all to try and understand why we are fighting this. Learn about Haskell's history and not just what the BIA puts out. Listen to our stories and put yourself in our place. You have computers and Internet access, go look for it. Here is a couple of starting points:

http://www.kansas.sierraclub.org/Issues/SLT/SouthLawrenceTrafficway.htm#history scroll down to "This Place is Soaked in Indian History".

Please don't let the fact that this is on the Sierra club web site put you off. Please also remember that we are sitting in traffic just like you and we don't care for it either. It's going to take a lot of work, compromise, and understanding to solve this.

Mike Ford 9 years, 1 month ago

Dear Kcwarpony,

I work with Haskell, I attended Baker, I am Choctaw, I know the Sierra Club people, and I've been working on this issue not as long as some others, but seven years. I've seen the treaties first hand that promised Indian education in return for the cession of lands.

I don't need to go to Sierra club websites where some of my publically-printed comments are on view. They know who I am. But that's not the point. Haskell does have say in the land issue. The language in the law I cited gives a say to Haskell if the original use of the land is not maintained.

It sounds like you've misunderstood me. I fight against the uneducated non-native vitirol that is spewed on this site against Native people by non-native people who have the luxury of ignorance. Oh and I haven't learned anything from the BIA except how they're puppets of whichever anti-Indian political party is in office. I've learned it from 7 years of research.

failed_ged 9 years, 1 month ago

There is a core group of bloggers that are experts in every topic reported by the LJW. They respond to all local civics, sports, school news, etc. I suspect they repeatedly read and marvel at their own wordy submissions, although they lack valid content, logical arguement or researched facts.

Are you people bored, miserable and bitter about your own lifes failings, so by continually complaining and criticizing in an anonomous public forum you gain self worth?

8muddyboots 9 years, 1 month ago

People didn't make the "swamp". We replaced some of the plants that were removed when the area was being cropped (with limited muddy success).

If you don't believe it's WETLANDS ask the road engineers if there are any design implications of building on these soil types.

Mike Ford 9 years, 1 month ago

dear failed ged,

There's a reason I write in this blog. Everything I wrote has been researched. I'm sorry you're too lazy to get this and you don't bother learning. I have a full-time job and other projects. This venue is not my sole outlet. I'm just so sick of the stupidity and racism that I see on here that I feel the need to educate the stupid. Oh, and I went to college to become a history teacher. The only problem being that racists don't bother to report the whole picture of this countrie's history. That's why I took ten years to educate myself as I worked in menial jobs in this anti-intellectual, pro- soundbite, pro-Fox Network spooning feeding you garbage society.

Learn something, like federal code law, like Indian Law, Like the WHOLE picture of history. I know my history, I know what White people have done. I go to a fu;ll-time job every day. I don't let the monotony drown out my concept of reality to the point where I talk smack on those people who bother to learn. Learning is a necessity, unless you watch FOX, and you don't care how soon the environment's ruined, how soon you're going to a be a body bag because you aren't wealthy enough to duck Iraq, or you bask in your ignorance and attack those people who are being affected by your stupidity.

The_Voice_of_Reason 9 years, 1 month ago

Tuschkahouma, I respect your points and your thoughts. I am still pro SLT but I as an educated person who trys to look at both sides of any subject; understand why you might be angry with some people. My point of this post is to say I have Native American blood in my family (Cherokee to be precise) but still am mostly what you refer to as "white." I just wanted to say that not all white people are uneducated pave the planet idiots and I for one of them canNOT afford the luxury of ignorance. Trust me when I say I cannot stand stupid people anymore than you can but I'm sure you know there are uneducated stupid people in all races and creeds. Your posts sounded to me as if ALL white Americans were bad people and I just wanted to tell you there are some of us whites who do educate themselves.

zbarf 9 years, 1 month ago

tuschkahouma....what does this have to do with fox?

I love that fox news gets under your skin. You probably sit in a dark room with the shades pulled just to watch O Riley (so your friends wont find out). Its ok. You can come out of the closet.

Truth hurts!

Mike Ford 9 years, 1 month ago

sorry zbarf, I won't tale the bait. I once saw Mr loudmouth himself disgrace Mr, Ernie Stevens Jr, Oneida, and head of the National Indian Gaming Commission, on issues where Mr. Stevens Jr. was correct, and all loudmouth could do was yell. Yelling is very compelling to uneducated people, much like moths flying around a lightbulb for no apparent reason, but is loudmouth really saying anything of substance? NO