Albuquerque, N.M. J.R. Giddens wants people to know he is a better man than the one portrayed by prosecutors and newspaper accounts describing his role in a fight May 19 outside a Lawrence bar.
The junior transfer from Kansas University spoke after a University of New Mexico men's basketball practice Wednesday about his decision to plead no contest earlier this week to misdemeanor battery.
"That's not who I am, (but) people will think what they think," Giddens told the Albuquerque Tribune. "Hopefully, people will judge me by what I do from now on and not something that happened in the past. I've accepted my wrongdoing in this. I'm past it, and I hope everybody else gets past it, too."
Giddens received one year's probation and must spend two days in an anger-management class. He said he did not know when the class would take place. In exchange for Giddens' no-contest plea, the prosecutor dropped a charge of disorderly conduct.
Giddens had pleaded not guilty at his arraignment, but chose to end the legal proceedings Monday as painlessly as possible. He said his decision was prompted in part by discussions with the UNM coaches.
"The coaching staff thought it would be a smart thing to get it behind us -- admit to what I've done wrong and get it behind us," Giddens said.
UNM coach Ritchie McKay said Giddens-as-victim is a story that has been overlooked. He was stabbed in the calf by Jeremiah Creswell and suffered a severed artery.
"It was a bad night (for J.R.) -- and he was stabbed," McKay said. "He didn't have a knife.
"I am not exonerating him. He admitted his part in it. Let's judge him by who he is at UNM and what he does in our program and our community. He understands what values our program is interested in."
Moon Bar fight
- Creswell doesn't show for Moon Bar hearing (10-26-05)
- 6News video: Former Moon Bar up for sale (10-10-05)
- Former Moon Bar building, land for sale (10-11-05)
- Suspect in Moon Bar case gets probation for threat (09-07-05)
- Giddens charged in bar brawl (08-31-05)
- Lobo coach defends Giddens (08-31-05)
- 6News video: Charges filed in Moon Bar incident (08-30-05)
- Giddens speaks ... but not about melee (07-23-05)
- 6Sports video: Giddens cleared to play with UNM (07-22-05)
- KU's Case will miss ex-roomie Giddens (07-13-05)
- Self wishes Giddens good luck at UNM (07-11-05)
- 6Sports video: Giddens transferring to New Mexico (07-10-05)
- Giddens will transfer to New Mexico (07-10-05)
- Giddens to visit N. Mexico (07-08-05)
- 6Sports video: New Mexico recruiting Giddens (07-07-05)
- Bedore: Change of scenery for Giddens, change of name for bar (07-03-05)
- 6Sports video: Jayhawks prepared to move on without Giddens (07-02-05)
- Self, KU look to future without Giddens (07-02-05)
- 6Sports video: Giddens to transfer from KU (07-01-05)
- 6Sports video: Giddens remains an enigma (07-01-05)
- 6News video: Fans not surprised about Giddens leaving (07-01-05)
- Hear Bill: June 30 press conference on Giddens' transfer
- Self: We prepared for this (07-01-05)
- KU, Giddens part ways (07-01-05)
- Former players say Giddens will be missed (07-01-05)
- Fans ready to move on (07-01-05)
- Perkins supports Self, team (07-01-05)
- Giddens back in Lawrence (06-29-05)
- Former FBI agents probing Giddens case (06-27-05)
- 6Sports video: KU hires private investigators to look into Moon Bar incident (06-26-05)
- Mayer: Questions abound around Giddens' past, present and future (06-25-05)
- Giddens' role still murky (06-18-05)
- 6News video: Police finish investigation of Moon Bar incident (06-17-05)
- Police file report on Moon Bar brawl (06-17-05)
- 6News video: Giddens stabbing suspect appears in court for unrelated charge (06-13-05)
- Giddens' troubles mystify friends from hometown (06-12-05)
- Kansas considering background checks (06-09-05)
- Results of investigation might stay sealed (06-09-05)
- Woodling: Far East junket provides respite (06-09-05)
- Key witness denies Giddens was instigator (06-08-05)
- Coach: Giddens' status 'isolated' (06-08-05)
- Giddens not expected for first summer term (06-07-05)