City commissioners will consider approving a new area plan for the Hillcrest, Old West Lawrence and Pinckney neighborhoods. The boundaries of the plan are Fifth Street to the north, Seventh Street to the south, California Street to the west and Alabama Street to the east.
The plan makes several recommendations, including design guidelines to protect the neighborhood's eclectic and historical character; creation of a task force to work with property owners to rezone their properties to reflect their actual use; develop strategies to promote the area as medical entryway to the hospital and as a gateway to downtown; and work to extend the historical influence of downtown into the area. The complete plan can be viewed at www.lawrenceplanning.org.
- proclaim the week of May 8-14 as Building Safety Week.
- proclaim May 14 as NALC National Food Drive
- proclaim the week of May 15-21 as Police Week and May 15 as Peace Officers Memorial Day.
- approve City Commission meeting minutes of April 19.
- receive minutes from various boards.
- approve all claims.
- approve retail liquor license for Dangermond Retail Liquor, 932 N. Second St.
- approve appointments as recommended by the mayor.
- bid and purchase items:
a.) set bid date of May 24 for overlay and curb repair program.
b.) set bid date of May 31 for comprehensive rehabilitation program at 2558 Cedarwood, 1526 W. 22nd St. and 544 Ariz.
c.) approve bid for new laboratory cabinets, counters and sinks at the Kaw River Water Plant from Hicks-Ashby Co. for $27,920.
d.) authorize the city manager to enter into a contract with Development Strategies for $17,750 for services to include work on the retail market database and independent reviews of the market studies submitted by private consultants in support of Northgate Development and Bauer Farms Development.
e.) approve $27,000 for legal consulting services with Stephen Chinn of Stinson Morrison Hecker for review and recommended text amendments to the Draft Development Code.
- adopt the following ordinances on first reading:
a.) rezoning of 12.55 acres from PRD-2 Planned Residential District to PRD-2 with a maximum density cap of 13.7 dwelling units per acre at 24th Place between Crossgate and Inverness drives.
b.) ordinance allowing possession and consumption of alcoholic liquor on certain specified public property.
- approve a site plan for 830-832 Pa. and the construction of a parking lot at 716 E. Ninth St. The improvements are to allow the conversion of an existing vacant building into an office building.
- accept dedication of easements and rights-of-way on the following plats:
a.) final plat for Hanscom-Tappan Addition, 13-lot residential subdivision south of 15th Street and west of Haskell Avenue.
b.) final plat for Lake View Addition No. 2, a 29-acre multi-family and commercial development north of Clinton Parkway and east of Kansas Highway 10.
c.) final plat for Fall Creek Farms 11th Plat, a 1.74-acre residential development east of Monterey Way, west of Kasold Drive and south of Peterson Road.
d.) final plat for Long John Silver's/A&W; Restaurant at 1503 W. 23rd St.
e.) final plat for Oakley Addition No. 3, a 9.6-acre residential and office development west of Folks Road and south of West Sixth Street.
f.) final plat for 202 N. Fifth St., a three-lot single-family residential subdivision north of Walnut Street and east of Fifth Street.
g.) final plat for Carpenter Addition No. 3, a three-lot duplex development at 1050 E. 24th St.
- city manager's report
- conduct public hearing concerning the vacation of a 15-foot utility easement at 910 E. 29th St., the former home of E&E; Display Group.
- conduct public hearing on proposed vacation of the 60-foot right-of-way of Delaware Street from 15th Street south approximately 383 feet, Delaware Court, and the east half of the right-of-way of Pennsylvania Street from 15th Street south approximately 600 feet, Brookdale Addition, 1501 Pennsylvania Street as requested by Austin and Ruth Turney.
- conduct public hearing on proposed vacation of a portion of Delaware Street as requested by Stanley and Linda Hayden.
- conduct public hearing to consider the vacation of a 15-foot utility easement located at the rear of Lots 38 through 44 in the Westwood Hills Addition.
- receive report from Bruce Flanders regarding recommendation on the prime consultant for the library expansion project.
- consider the Hillcrest, Old West Lawrence, Pinckney area plan.