Archive for Thursday, June 30, 2005

Giddens to transfer from KU

June 30, 2005

J.R. Giddens will transfer from Kansas University, head coach Bill Self announced today.

Self, who stressed that this was a mutual decision and not a disciplinary action, said he and Giddens came to this conclusion around 8 p.m. Wednesday night. He added that he didn't know where Giddens would be transfering to, but that he would help Giddens in finding another school.

Reader poll
How do you think J.R. Giddens' departure affects the KU basketball team?

or See the results without voting

"The last six weeks have been a difficult situation for all parties involved following the May 19 incident," Self said. "J.R. and I have both taken enough time to remove the emotion of the decision and come to the conclusion that a fresh start for both parties would be best. We certainly appreciate his efforts the last two years and wish him the best in the future."

Giddens, who averaged 10.1 points last year as a sophomore, was stabbed May 19 during a fight outside the Moon Bar. The Douglas County District Attorney's office has said it would be sometime in July, at the earliest, before it decided whether the evidence warranted filing charges.

Self, who mentioned during Thursday's news conference the negativity brought to the program by the incident, said no single factor led to the decision. Self also said that the results of the police investigation into the Moon Bar incident did not affect the decision for the transfer.

"Our decision was based solely on what was best for our program and J.R. at this time," he said.

"With everything that has transpired with this situation, coach and I are in total agreement that a fresh start would be best for Kansas and me," Giddens said in a statement. "I'm sorry for what has transpired. Regardless of guilt or innocence, I put our program and myself in a bad situation. That does not take away from the fact that I loved my time here. I appreciate the support my teammates, the coaching staff and fans have shown me."

Self said he notified the team of the decision around 9:30 p.m. or 10 p.m. Wednesday night and they were caught off-guard by the announcement.

He added that this incident won't change any rules within the program.

"We don't need to do things differently," he said. "We just need to keep reinforcing what we do."

Self said that he didn't expect to add another player now that a scholarship was open, but he didn't rule out such a signing.

See 6Sports video reports on Giddens' transfer at 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. on Sunflower Broadband Channel 6News and a full story in Friday's Journal-World and KUsports.com.

For more on this story, pick up a copy of Friday's Journal-World.

Comments

rock_chalk 8 years, 9 months ago

Ok, not sure if anyone will read this, but I've met JR before, and I found him to have an air of arrogance... he didn't talk at all, and never said thank you or anything... on the other hand, other players, such as christian moody, jeremy case, and sasha kaun were extremely social and polite. I'll miss j.r., but after his dismal performance this year, i'm ready to see him go. Christian Moody deserves that scholarship.

Genetic02 8 years, 9 months ago

OmahaKUAlum and Hawk64 make good points. I think it is very important to remember that JR was not recruited as a shooter, when he came out of highschool. Most 6'7 division I prospects establish their reputations by dunking on people and blocking shots. I think JR falls into this category. We've seen his athleticism displayed on the court. In fact, Jeremy Case is supposed to be the shooter in that recruiting class anyway. No one is riding him after two seasons are they? Regardless, JR was able to catch fire his freshman year, and the team benefited well into the tournament. Unfortunately for JR, he couldn't return, after a summer off, and have as positive a sophomore season, and the fans have done nothing but bash him ever since. It's not his fault his shot was contested all season, but it IS his fault he didn't develop other aspects of his game as much as he should have during the off-season. Whatever the case may be, he was a hard worker every minute he was on the floor, and I don't believe anyone wanted his shots to go in more than he did. What's sad is he was probably hoping his shots would go in so the so-called fans would stop giving him such a hard time, in stead of trying to learn and enjoy the game while at KU.

Furthermore, this whole bar incident has intensified any preexisting feelings of hostility that the fans may have had towards JR. Yeah, he was under age in a bar, but that's common place now. I've witnessed numerous under age KU athletes in various bars in Lawrence, so JR wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. Whether the incident was instigated by him or not, the fact remains that he was stabbed and is now leaving KU. It (the incident) has done nothing to help JR's reputation, which should've never been blemished as a result of having a bad season. Athletes have bad seasons all the time. JR had only played somewhere around 30 collegiate games, and the fan's expectations were too high for a KID playing a game. It's obvious he had the potential to be a great basketball player at KU, but somewhere amidst our expectations of all KU basketball players, it was forgotten that he was human and capable of making mistakes. He's probably learned as much from all the people bashing him as he has from his own mistakes. It will make him a better young man.

I enjoyed watching him while he was here, and I wish him nothing but success in in all of his future endeavors.

Hawk64 8 years, 9 months ago

This is a sad day for KU. J.R. Giddens is a young man who got into fistfight at a bar. He didn't bring the knife or a gun or any kind of weapon. Hypocrites want J.R. Giddens gone. Those who want him gone are just taking out there frustrations of last year's loss on Giddens. He played hard most of the time. Having been born and raised in Lawrence and a season ticket holder for KU games, I'm sorry that he is leaving and I'm embarassed that Most KU fans have reacted with such hostility and vehemence towards J.R.

I wish him well.

OmahaKUAlum 8 years, 9 months ago

I think people need to be a little more open-minded. How many of you here condemning JR have never been in a bar when you were underage? I personally don't know one person who went to KU who wasn't kicked out of the Hawk for trying to drink underage. I agree that JR made bad decisions, but there's no need to publicly bash him. Can you imagine having your every move watched and criticized by the public? We all make mistakes...let it go and let JR move on. He brought a lot of negative press to KU with this incident, and I'm sure he realizes that. Just be appreciative of what he has done while he was here and let's focus on the future.

Jay_lo 8 years, 9 months ago

Giddens probably has more class the lot of you. I think I recall there being other players at the bar, but they didn't get stabbed (in the back by a bunch of supposedly KU loyal wah babies). He didn't bring any more disgrace to KU than the great bunch of anonymous bar hopping students doing their best to take the our reputation to the next level as a "party school".

penguin 8 years, 9 months ago

someone call Rick Pitino...he can go play with David Padget at Louisville

penguin 8 years, 9 months ago

someone call Rick Pitino...he can go play with David Padget's at Louisville

kucourtsider 8 years, 9 months ago

Send him over to North Carolina.

megorama 8 years, 9 months ago

Let me get my violins out...

I realize linux was stating opinions, AS WAS I. I am offended, almost outraged that it is considered 'classy' to defend someone who has openly disgraced an institution such as the KU Athletic department.

Woe is me.

mazzy 8 years, 9 months ago

This is really ugly.

Giddens made bad decisions. He didn't abide by the standards of behavior to which he agreed. He didn't display the kind of "class" that the KU basketball team strives for. He's paying the price for his behavior.

Linux_Chick was stating her opinion. She was showing loyalty to someone she considers a friend - or at least a likable acquaintance. Rather than just simply disagreeing with her opinion some of you responded with name calling and slurs on her character. Where is your class?

megorama 8 years, 9 months ago

You are right, the WHOPPING 10 points a game he averaged will leave KU in such a bind. We might as well just sink into a deep dark hole because we lost such an invaluable player.

Forget the fact that even IF he stayed, he probably won't even rehabilitate in time to have a successful season.

linux_chick 8 years, 9 months ago

Self agreed that Giddens should be disciplined for being at the bar.

I guess I'll surrender. I'm sad to see him go, but I understand that I'm overwhelmingly in the minority and I've said my peace.

As far as next season looks, (and admitedly this is no reason to keep someone on the team) I don't think KU has a chance.

megorama 8 years, 9 months ago

If MU took him, we would challenge their purchase of Bucknell t-shirts with Moon Bar flyers and knives!!! (plastic ones of course, we wouldn't want to be at the wrong place at the wrong time and accidentally get stabbed and unfairly removed from any team)

winwombat 8 years, 9 months ago

I have to take issue with linux_chick's comment about JR JUST "being in the wrong place at the wrong time" and about the unfairness of "excluding him from the team over something that wasn't his fault". Are you actually lucky enough to have an inside line to the Lawrence Police department to know the results of their investigation? No one knows yet whether or not it was JR's fault in whole or even in part. And the other major problem with your statement is that no matter how you cut it JR being at the bar broke rules that he was committed to abide by. NOt only did he break the team rules and shame KU him being at the bar was ILLEGAL according to the laws of Kansas. Should he be leaving from the team???? You bet!

lovely1 8 years, 9 months ago

CEEEEEEEEEEEEE YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...... c.j.

megorama 8 years, 9 months ago

I agree penguin. He is not a nice guy...he was trouble from the beginning. Another one of Roy's Boys gone...YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEE.

I do wish him well though, despite my obvious lack of discretion. I hope he has learned his lesson. I hope that no other KU athlete has to go through this during their stint here and his experience wasn't in vain.

linux_chick 8 years, 9 months ago

sure, megorama... obviously I'm wrong about you throwing dirt.

penguin 8 years, 9 months ago

He is social. I have met him and so have many of my friends. He is not a nice guy...unlike people like our out going Senior class, CJ Giles, or Alex Galindo (I was sorry to see him go).

These guys were all class acts and good guys whether it be on the court, supporting KU athletics or at the Wheel or wherever else in town.

Regardless it just gives the young guys more of a shot to play. Also we dont have to deal with the headache this would cause every game with him being around.

megorama 8 years, 9 months ago

The Moon Bar was an Asian refuge?

linux_chick 8 years, 9 months ago

Yes. Someone got knife-happy and stabbed people, one of whom was Giddens. Discipline him, I guess, for being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

But any way I slice it, it seems unfair to exclude him from the team... especially over an incident that wasn't his fault.

Shelby 8 years, 9 months ago

Is the Moon Bar still an Asian refuge?

megorama 8 years, 9 months ago

P.S. I don't throw dirt or give low-blows...I just call bullcrap bias out like I see it, Jersey Chaser.

megorama 8 years, 9 months ago

Last time I checked, being friendly and talking to anyone wasn't a requirement nor does it make an individual an asset to the team OR a good player.

Supporting a fellow team is standard, you should not get commended for that of which you SHOULD do, the lack attendance is irrelevant.

This isn't an us or them situation...the facts remain the same.

PEACE OUT J.R.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raider 8 years, 9 months ago

Linux-chick sounds like one of the typical "jersey chasers" who hangs out at Brothers and the Moon Bar hoping to catch an athlete from the ghetto just to piss off her suburban parents. You do the math. I just bet he's been to your apartment honey.

Good riddance. Roy should have bounced his ass when got caught stealing from the Wal-Mart. I'm glad Coach Self had the guts to send him on his way. The team will be better off for it.

linux_chick 8 years, 9 months ago

J.R. was social and met my roommate in the elevator, since we lived in the same building as he did. He followed her the the apt. and talked to all of us for a while before he went home.

He'd talk to anyone. I've seen him supporting the women's basketball games (which has miserable attendence at KU) and KU events in general. He was a great asset to the team.

This board, however, is worthless. I'm giving my informed opinion only to get ripped to shreds by low-blows.

You guys, sitting in your safe anonymous computer terminals throwing dirt at anyone who disagrees with you are hypocritical at best.

megorama 8 years, 9 months ago

Sorry i can't live up to your high posting standards CHICK...maybe i would feel differently about JR if he had been in my apartment.

Regardless, JR is gone and nobody can deny that is a grand solution to weeks of uncertainty and disrespectful behavior that is unacceptable for KU's basketball legacy.

penguin 8 years, 9 months ago

I hear Barton County Community College is looking for a shooting guard. Also their academic standards are easy enough to comply with...just ask any Missouri Recruit.

ya JR was always nice to the ladies..especially to those who invite him over to their apartment.

linux_chick 8 years, 9 months ago

What's a great point, muffaletta? Megorama's trashy implication on my sexual life or completely random transfer prediction included merely for shock value.

Where did you come from, megorama? Way to start out your posting account in the gutter.

megorama 8 years, 9 months ago

unmotivated thug? are we talking about the nba?

megorama 8 years, 9 months ago

Well said Muffy! I, too, am proud that KU has decided to take a stance on bad behavior. Too bad we can't have public spankings...that would be more interesting to see and talk about than where will he transfer to...

muffaletta 8 years, 9 months ago

That's a great point, megorama.

I am proud of the team for backing up its words with actions. A program that prides itself for being a class act cannot allow its most successful entity to become a safe haven for unmotivated thugs.

KU Basketball and the University of Kansas proved itself today.

nate111 8 years, 9 months ago

Thank god. We should have released him a long time ago. What a waste of potential. His decisions on the court aren't much different then his off. He mouths off and then gets burnt for a bucket or sent to the hospital. Hopefully he learns or he will be living with Lester Earl in Lenexa.

megorama 8 years, 9 months ago

Where do you think he is transferring to?

MISSOURI????

linux_chick 8 years, 9 months ago

sorry for the typo: didn't perform as expected...

linux_chick 8 years, 9 months ago

This message board is disappointing.

I've personally met Giddens on several occasions and even had him over to my apartment before. He's one of the classiest individuals I've ever met with great school spirit.

It's no secret that he did perform as expected last season, but I was ashamed to be a Jayhawk on one particular occassion in Allen Fieldhouse when Giddens hit three-pointer after three-pointer in warm up then went cold on the floor and had to listen to the boos of Jayhawk fans that he was played at all.

I'm sorry to see him go. KU Basketball and the University in general is the worse for it.

Delicious 8 years, 9 months ago

Giddens was a hell of a three-point shooter even though he had his slumps this past season. It's sad to see him go, but he will be remembered.

craigers 8 years, 9 months ago

I must say that the class that Giddens showed on the court during his time here hasn't really impressed me and I am not surprised that he got into trouble off the court. No offense, but he hasn't really proven himself to be the player that we all hoped he would be in his first couple of years here. I for one am not sad to see him go.

brahl 8 years, 9 months ago

Just means more shots for our freshmen, which is what I want, because they are the future of KU basketball, not Giddens. He had the opportunity to be a great leader on a young team, but obviously doesn't have the character to take that role. His removal is good news for all parties.

Shelby 8 years, 9 months ago

Hmm...would Missouri kick one of their players off of their team for getting into a fight?

I think the answer's pretty obvious, and illustrates the discrepancy in class between the two programs.

Horace 8 years, 9 months ago

" Giddens came to this conclusion around 8 p.m. Thursday night."

Perhaps it was Wednesday night?

penguin 8 years, 9 months ago

wow, I'm a bit surprised, but also proud that they were able to get rid of him. This would have been an big distraction all season. Also from meeting him and from others who know him...there are not going to be too many people sad to see him go.