Kansas legislature

Kansas Legislature

Legislator questions adoption by gays

Conservative wants state to study issue; gay rights advocate calls it bigotry

July 14, 2005

A Wichita-area legislator wants a study done to see if Kansas should change its policy allowing gay people to adopt foster children.

"This is an issue that needs to be examined - things need to be spelled out better than they are," said Rep. Steve Huebert, a conservative Republican from Valley Center.

Huebert said he requested the study on behalf of a constituent who was concerned that a lesbian couple might be allowed to adopt her granddaughter, who was in foster care.

"My constituent had some issues with that," Huebert said.

Under Kansas law, homosexual adults are neither restricted nor prohibited from adopting children.

"Other states - Texas and Florida - have been more aggressive in making it tougher for gays and lesbians to adopt," Huebert said. "I just think it needs to be looked at. There ought to be some clearer guidelines."

Huebert said he discussed the study with a member of House Speaker Doug Mays' office during the final days of the Legislature's regular session. He said he was assured his request would be considered by the Legislative Coordinating Council, which meets Monday in Topeka.

On Tuesday, Huebert's proposal was not on the roster of topics under consideration. But there's nothing to stop it from being added to the list between now and Monday morning.

Huebert insisted his proposal was unrelated to the successful drive to amend the state constitution to include a ban on same-sex marriages.

"All I'm saying is that this is an issue that ought to be looked at in a thoughtful way," he said.

Bruce Ney, chairman of Kansans for Fairness, a group formed to oppose the same-sex marriage amendment, blasted Huebert's request.

"This is all about discrimination and hating gays - that's all it is," said Ney, who lives in Lawrence. "It's conservatives looking for a 'gathering of dark clouds' they can get on the 2006 ballot to get people to turn out against (Gov. Kathleen) Sebelius."

Sandra Dixon, vice president of child welfare services at Kansas Children's Service League, said homosexuals interested in adopting were subject to the same criteria and scrutiny as heterosexuals.

"Decisions are based on an individual's or a couple's strengths and the capacity to parent children in need of an adoptive home," Dixon said. "We don't have anything that says a particular demographic group - except those who've been convicted of crimes - cannot adopt."

It's unclear how many adoptions involve gay or lesbian parents, Dixon said.

"That's not something we track," she said.

Until last month, Kansas Children's Service League was the state's sole contractor for adoption services for children in foster care. It completed a record 627 adoptions last year.

State records show that roughly two-thirds of the state's adoptions in 2004 involved children in foster care. The remainder were handled by private lawyers and often involved babies born to teenage mothers.

Contacted earlier this week, two of the Legislative Coordinating Council's seven members said Huebert's concerns haven't found their way onto many legislators' radar.

"This isn't an issue that has much momentum that I can tell," said Senate Majority Leader Derek Schmidt, R-Independence. "It's not something I've thought about."

"I wasn't aware that it was a problem," said House Minority Leader Dennis McKinney, D-Greensburg.

A spokeswoman for Sebelius said the governor, too, was unaware of a need to limit the ability of gays and lesbians to adopt.

"This administration is committed to doing all we can to place children in loving, caring homes," Nicole Corcoran said. "Rep. Huebert's request is not something we've looked into."

Richard Heckler 10 years, 3 months ago

There is no viable source providing information that gay or lesbian parents will be harmful to children. Foster children are products of a heterosexual relationship. Where are those parents? Children need parents who will love and nuture them. Gay and lesbian couples obviously have warm hearts and can provide a good home. Hugs,food and someone who cares provide children with a tremendous amount of security. My wife and I are heterosexual with 3 children and see no problem with other combination of parents providing a loving home.

Rep. Huebert is not minding his own business and may be racist. Perhaps he wants to avoid the issue of public school funding and is looking for other agenda items. Why does he think gay and lesbian couples cannot be warm loving parents?

Baille 10 years, 3 months ago

That is just shameful. We have children who will spend the rest of their lives in the foster care system because there are not enough people out there willing to foster and adopt. The criteria for whether a child should be placed with a family or a person shuld be whether the best interest of that child is served not the sexual orientatio of the parents. This issue is already looked at in a thoughtful way by the professionals whose job it is to train and evaluate potential foster/adoptive parents. There is a three-month program where these things are considered in a thoughtful way. There are comprehensive home studies where these things are considered in a thoughtful way. The last thing we need is a bunch of do-nothing, know-nothing politicians sticking their prejudice where it doesn't belong.

I want to know how many kids Hubert has fostered or adopted. I want to know how many kids his "constituent" has fostered and adopted. I want to know why the kid in question didn't go to this "constituent." Family members start with a presumption that they will be best for the kid absent some reason to the contrary.

People like Hubert make me sick.

Jamesaust 10 years, 3 months ago

This gives a whole new meaning to the concept of "hate-crimes" legislation.

nomorebobsplease 10 years, 3 months ago

Good question Baille, why is the child in question not being raised by this grandparent? My neighbors are a lesbian couple who have an adopted child around the same age as my kids. Great people!! Loving and caring. I think this child has been very lucky to have parents like that! That someone would refuse them the opportunity to parent...and to deny a child that wonderful environment to grow up in-that's not a shame, it's a crime!

GreenEyedBlues 10 years, 3 months ago

What are they trying to do? When will the line be drawn where they say, "okay, enough is enough. Lesbians and gays have been restricted enough to appease our irrational concerns for community safety"

Why should a homosexual be denied the American dream?

Universe 10 years, 3 months ago

I always love listening to liberals talk about 'nurturing children' when they, themselves are abortion supporters. I find it especially interesting that the words 'love the children' is used both when gays flood our adoption centers AND in situations where a so-called "fetus" that suffer terminal illness should be destroyed. Everything is always for the children, right? Whatever! You people need to learn what love really is..

I have a question; what the hell does racism have to do with any of this anyway?! Just because most of the country isn't in favor of "protecting; or recognizing" a class of individuals (based on sexual orientation I might add) doesn't mean we're all somehow full of hatred.

Universe 10 years, 3 months ago

Gays? Restricted? Denied the American dream? lol Your joking right.. So, just because they aren't allowed to change the sanctity of marriage (to suit them) they now somehow deserve the country's support or it's restricting them (yet imorral for the majority)? Ya, I get that logic.. lol

kuhusker 10 years, 3 months ago

Even convicts on death row are allowed to marry...but gay people are not allowed to marry.

That seems wrong to me.

As for adoption, the only factor should be best interest of the child as evaluated on a case by case basis...everything else should be irrelevant.

hammysammy 10 years, 3 months ago

Universe-You are so right. Just because I'm pro choice, I couldn't possibly actually care about kids. Not even my own daughter. I'm incapable of love because of where I stand on a political issue. I think I'll stop 'nurturing' her altogether. Thank you for clarifying that for me. And then I think I'll hang out with Fred Phelps for a little bit and bash some minorities for a bit.

Universe 10 years, 3 months ago

Rehi hammysammy: Tell me exactly what abortion means and what it entails; then tell me again how much you love children.

Oh, and minorities/gays = apples/oranges.

saywhat101 10 years, 3 months ago

This may or may not be about gay rights, but I am with the ones who asked 'what about the grandparent'? If a family member is really worried about the adoption, why don't they take care of their own?

kuhusker 10 years, 3 months ago

"Oh, and minorities/gays = apples/oranges."

Gay people are a majority?

That should be the headline...talk about the news story of the year!

Richard Heckler 10 years, 3 months ago

Universe : Do you know any gay or lesbian parents who are bad parents? Do you know any heterosexual parents who you think are not raising children as you think they should?

Are you saying all pro choice advocates are pro abortion? You may want read your first post before answering.

I'm pro life,pro family,pro choice and have 3 children. Explain how that translates into pro abortion please. I've never met a prochoice person who is pro abortion which tells me you do not know what are talking about.

Pro life groups are lying about pro choice advocates.

As with sex this is probaly not the business of anyone else as the state has guidelines for selecting foster parents. The grandparent probaly does not want to take on the responsibility of raising a grandchild and we know nothing about the parents of this needing child who I assume were heterosexual.

hammysammy 10 years, 3 months ago

I don't advocate abortion, I just know that if it is illegal, lots of women will die from receiving sub-standard care, are their lives not precious? Here is the facts-gay people are born gay, it is not a decision and that is supported by more and more scientific evidence all the time, Michael D. Lemonick's article in Time "The Scent of a Man", unveils some telling research supporting this truth. Gay people aren't bad, they are not immoral, and they deserve to have the same rights as everyone. By the way, my marriage isn't "threatened" or less "sanctified" by gay marriage, it remains the same, a personal relationship that no one should have the right to comment on, just like it should be for everyone, straight or gay.

Baille 10 years, 3 months ago

OK, Universe. You care about kids so damn much, how many have you fostered? Adopted? Ever volunteered your time with foster/adoptive kids?CASA? O'Connell? Cottonwood? THRIL? Anything?

I have. And I have worked with gays and lesbians who have made wonderful parents for keeds in desparate need. "Conservatives" need to put up or shut up. Compassion is shown by actions not rhetoric.

Universe 10 years, 3 months ago

Be nice now kuhusker; you know as well as I do the wonderful liberals in this country use the term "minority" as a way to describe people of different countries who live in the US, but also to gays; which is rediculous. That, of course was my point. 8) News story of the year? WooHoo!

Merrill: What's the term generally used for people who support abortion? Hmm. Pro-Choice? You've never met a prochoice person who is pro abortion? LMAO! ok..

hammysammy: If your concerned about 'sub-standard' care given to a woman then why not attempt to alter their 'choice' before they got pregnant in the first place? Which life is more precious to you? The woman or the child? Is the democratic party the party of 'compassion' by taking a life just to get another out of responsibility?

I'm not stating gays are terrible human beings.. But, I disagree with their lustful lifestyle. Quite frankly I don't give a damn what they do as long as it's not where I can see it.

Now.. When you say they're "born with it" how then do you justify the lifestyle of someone who is 'bi'? At birth did they only receive half the gay genes? Do they qualify for half of the gay rights?

And lastly. I'm not talking about your marriage (or anyone else' for that matter). Of course they aren't threatening me with their agenda! lol But they are threatening the institution of marriage itself!

Universe 10 years, 3 months ago

OK Baille: Yep I care.. :) BTW, us conservatives are indeed putting up; lest you forgot the last two elections. 8)

Universe 10 years, 3 months ago

I have a question for everyone.. When gay men/women choose to have sex with the same sex why do they 'act' like the opposite sex?

J Good Good 10 years, 3 months ago

People who say "If your concerned about 'sub-standard' care given to a woman then why not attempt to alter their 'choice' before they got pregnant in the first place?" - seem to have NO CLUE that 7 out of 10 abortions are due to BIRTH CONTROL FAILURE. As in all birth control has a failure rate, and many women cannot for health reasons use the most effective types to begin with. That is one of the reasons that the morning after pill is a crucual piece of preventing abortions.

kuhusker 10 years, 3 months ago

"But, I disagree with their lustful lifestyle. "

Its kinda funny that monogamous gay couples wanting to form lifelong commitments under the rubric of marriage are engaged in a "lustful lifestyle!"

Your marriage must be pretty damn exciting!

Baille 10 years, 3 months ago

"OK Baille: Yep I care.. :)"

OK Universe. Show me. What have you done besides spout off about the perversity of homosexuality and how a person who is willing and able to provide a stable and loving home should be denied based on their sexual orientation? What? If you aren't willing to foster or adopt yourself, or work with abused and neglected kids, then you have no right to deny others that opportunity based solely on your own dogmatic view of the world.

"BTW, us conservatives are indeed putting up; lest you forgot the last two elections. 8)"

You voted? That counts? You voted for Bush? That is compassionate action?

You would have more credibility if you displayed more substance. There is no reason why gays and lesbians can't make great families for neglected and abused children. You don't want a child to go to a certain typ eof family? Then adopt. It is a little harder than voting, but it is a much larger contribution.

"But, I disagree with their lustful lifestyle."

Lustful lifestyle? Holy bigoted misconceptions, Batman. Dogma. Bigotry. Compassionate conservatism at work.

Universe 10 years, 3 months ago

kuhusker: Ya I enjoy my marriage - thanks! :)

Baille: Wow you get pretty wound up huh.. lol Show you what I've done to care? You mean I have to repeat everything? Alright; abortion is death to children. Wow that was tough! No gray shades there, eh?

And a.. children growing up in a house consisting of two mothers/fathers isn't good for them either because they 'need' mother AND father for a healthy balanced life. What a woman gives to a child; and man can't & vise versa. Let's approach this with some common sense Baille.. A child growing up in a gay environment also would take slack from his or her peers in schools.

Oh how I love the word 'bigot' being loosly thrown about.. lol If someone doesn't agree with a MINORITY agenda (using your term) then hells bells they're by default a scum bag. lol

Compassionate liberal communism at work...

Speaking of that! Um. Ya I voted.. Bush wasn't the right choice for the country?? Why not? Should I have voted for a french loving liberal candidate who has his portrait hanging as a hero in North Korea?

Richard Heckler 10 years, 2 months ago

Again you do not know what you are talking about. Pro choice supports a persons right to make a choice.

How would you know whether or not the lifestyle of gay or lesbian is lustful? Describe

Do you know whether or not heterosexual relationships are lustful? Describe

What do the last two elections have to do with this matter except many liars are working in the white house. If you support that type of activity what does that say about you?

allateup2 10 years, 2 months ago

"Born with it" Well if thats justification for sick twisted behavior. Can we not use the same logic for pedophiles, the BTK scumbag and hey how about getting down with the farm animals too. You PETA pukes should love that one

kuhusker 10 years, 2 months ago

It doesn't really matter if gays were born that way.

Even if people choose to be gay, they should still have equal rights. I mean, people choose their religion (and can change religions easily) but we all believe (I hope) that firing someone or not letting them marry because of their choice of religion is wrong.

Universe 10 years, 2 months ago

Hello again merrill: You're going round and round with this pro choice thing; but I will clarify it with you now:

pro-choice (adj.) Favoring or supporting the legal right of women and girls to choose whether or not to continue a pregnancy to term.

How would I know huh.. You haven't ever experienced a 'gay pride' rally in San Fran have you. Better yet, you ever seen those wild girl commercials late at night where they're participating in homosexual acts? That's not lustful is it? lol It's not the same thing though right? lol. I'm beginning to suspect you're the person who doesn't really seem to have a clue mr. merrill. :)

Oh and the election remark was relevant because most of the country still feel as I do. (ie the Bush second victory). Well I think the word 'liar' is a bit rash when referring to our President don't you? I mean it's not like he lied to a grand jury and got himself impeached (as his predecessor).

Where were you then? If you support that type of activity what does that say about you? :)

allateup2 10 years, 2 months ago

If religion played a part in this, it wouldn't be a topic for discussion.

J Good Good 10 years, 2 months ago

Yes I've heard of abstinence, and I also know that many of the women who have abortions are MARRIED, but cannot afford more children.

Plenty of people are willing to bitch about women having more kids than they can afford or properly care for, but how many people would understand a married woman getting pregnant accidentally, carrying it to term and giving it up?

I also happen to know that most women - and men (because beleive it or not, none of these women KNOCKED THEMSELVES UP!) are not able to maintain abstinence as a permanent lifestyle. Are you?

You can say that is wrong, but it is a fact of human nature, and the rest of us live in the real world....

Baille 10 years, 2 months ago

Universe, you have absolutely missed the point of the arguments made. Every single time. For example, I didn't criticize who you voted for, or even that you voted. I criticized equating that with doing something for children.

When I say "show me what you have done" that does not mean state "abortion is death to children." That doesn't show you have done anything but type. What I am looking for is activities. For example, fostering a child. Volunteering at a social service agency that helps foster children. Some thing you have DONE, and not simply typed.

"Let's approach this with some common sense Baille.. A child growing up in a gay environment also would take slack from his or her peers in schools."

That argument was made about children of bi-racial couples, and inter-racial adoptions. It has proven to be absolute bunk. Any negative experiences based on other people's prejudices (and there are rarely problems on that score) are more than outweighed by the child not having to live his or her life in an institution.

"Gays can love kids all they want (which really isn't their motive anyway) but the child is still better off with a man and woman as parents."

What? What motive do you attribute to people you don't know involved in a process in which you clearly have no knowledge? Even if your assumption about a two-parent family of a man and a woman is correct, that is not the choice we are facing. It is a stable, loving family versus a lifetime of institutionalized care or rotating foster homes.

"Oh how I love the word 'bigot' being lo osly thrown about..."

No that is not the case at all. I have had many arguments here and in other forums and not used the label "bigot" at all. It applies here because you clearly think that another class of people is inferior or less moral than you because of natural, immutable, and inherent differences. By definition, you are a bigot. Bigot: One who is strongly partial to one's own group and is intolerant of those who differ."

And, sure. I get worked up about this. I have seen children languishing in group homes and orphanages. I have watched kids rotated form foster hom to foster home without ever developing any real bonds. I read about them in the paper now years later for perpetuating thier misery on to a whole new generation. And then I hear some do-nothing, know-nothing legislator wanting to make things even worse because of irrational prejudice and rampant ignorance. People like you and Huber threaten the stability and validity of families I know personally that happen to be comprised of a gay or lesbian couple and their children for no rational reason. It is horrific and absolutely unjustifiable.

I would say to you the same I would say to Huber: Do something useful. Say something cogent. Learn and think about the issues involved. Maybe then you can participate in a serious discussion about the issue.

Richard Heckler 10 years, 2 months ago

JG you make good points. Too many are willing to bitch about women and their sex lives. Men think it's pretty cool to get laid. When it comes time to deal with a pregnancy too many men hit the road and the women are ridiculed. It's DNA time so the child can get monetary support from the father...being a MOM is at least 120 hours a week or more.

Many it's time for women to decide men's ego need some adjustment and cut them off...just say not tonight.

Universe 10 years, 2 months ago

jg: Nope, most are teens or college girls..

Baille: Your talking in circles again.. You haven't used the term bigot because before I came on you were preaching to the choir. No offense taken..

merrill: This outta fire you up - women are weaker than men.. lmao

J Good Good 10 years, 2 months ago

I did not say "most", I said "many" and there are are a lot of stories behind who and why people choose to have abortions....

Baille 10 years, 2 months ago

That is all you have? Out of all that? Fine. Come back when you have some game.

And by the way, I am not talking in circles. You just seem to be having a hard time keeping up. For instance, my observation regarding bigotry was clearly not limited to this particular thread. I haven't used bigot in any other discussions on this entire site where people disagreed with me (obviously indicating the lack of a choir) because they haven't posited opinions that would indicate they were bigots.

Universe 10 years, 2 months ago

jg: Yep but all is still termination of life..

Baille: Some game? lol What are we Run DMC now? lol Blau, blau, blau Universe is a bigot just because he doesn't want gays pushing their agenda in my school where 'prayer' isn't allowed.. One thing about it Baille; your 'party' represents every form of decay. Where dems aren't smearing, their distorting right from wrong. Funny thing is this; they know no right from wrong because they ARE their own gods. And when a liberal is their own god they can't (and won't) possibly understand whats genuinely good or bad..

Just stick to your moveon.org crowd and watch every election go to conservatives, because there are more of us than of you..

spongiform 10 years, 2 months ago

Baille owned Universe in much the same way that Universe's wife will get owned tonight if she decides to cut him off.

Celeste Plitz 10 years, 2 months ago

I don't know why all of this has to involve party vs. party. The crux of the matter is that there are thousands of children in the foster care system, and children up for adoption. The ONLY factor in deciding if a couple is suitable for adopting a child/children should be how well they are able to care for said children. Are the children provided for? Are the children nurtured and loved? Those should be the considerations in deciding where the children go, not what race/creed or sexual orientation of potential adoptive parents. There aren't enough adoptive parents or foster parents to go around now why adopt a restriction to further shrink the pool of people with hearts big enough to take these kids in, when it is not necessary to do so? I just don't believe that homosexuality is a good enough reason to deprive children of the potential for a happy new beginning-a permanant home and the love, guidance and acceptance they so desprately need.

Richard Heckler 10 years, 2 months ago

Universe you seem to think like those in the million man march...women are to be at your beckoned call. If the women around discover your name your party is over. Do women actually find you attractive? You have a crummy attitude towards females

Universe 10 years, 2 months ago

spongiform: Cute.. lol But when a communist 'hate america' liberal agree's with another there's nothing left in the room but two extremist kooks. Have a nice day now. 8)

Merrill: Women are to be at my beckoned call? WooHoo! What 'HETROSEXUAL' male wouldn't want that? lol I might just be the neighbor next to you you've always found hot! My name? My name is Mike. And I'm a black man. Gotta problem with that one too?! I mean, you 'are' compassionate' AND tolerant no?

Richard Heckler 10 years, 2 months ago

Heterosexual couples have an extremely high divorce rate...so how is that any different than any other group?

LD: this looks as though it is only part of a "report". What is the link?

Richard Heckler 10 years, 2 months ago

What does color of skin have to do with this?

Richard Heckler 10 years, 2 months ago

My final thought on this matter. Heterosexuals, gays and lesbians all should be offended at the thought of our legislature considering a study with subject matter that is blatant discrimination in nature. Not to mention bigoted.

Hopefully if this measure is presented for legislation it will be legally challenged.

lunacydetector 10 years, 2 months ago

the inherent nature of a household formed by homosexually behaving adults uniquely endangers foster children by exposing them to a higher level of harmful stresses that are over and above usual stress levels in heterosexual foster homes.

adopted children are among the most vulnerable of all citizens as by the time they arrive at their new home they have already gone through a series of difficulties, often involving separations, neglect, and traumas such as the death of parents. added to this is the stress of adjusting to a new home and neighborhood.

when adopted children are placed in favorable family circumstances, they already suffer from substantially higher rates of psychological disorders.

homosexual adults suffer from significantly higher rates of psychological disorders such as suicide, conduct disorder and substance abuse. living with a parent who suffers from a mental disorder or has problems with drug or alcohol abuse will only trigger further stresses and problems for adopted children.

the logical conclusion would be that heterosexual adults generally have significantly and substantially better health, more energy, and better emotional stamina to devote to foster children.

same-sex partner relationships are significantly less stable and more short-lived on the average compared to a marriage of a man and a woman.

this will lead to a substantially higher rate of household transitions in foster homes for youngsters placed with a homosexually behaving adult. foster children have already suffered one or more traumatic transitions, and more-frequent transitions result in greater psychological harm and psychosocial maladjustment.

Norway and Sweden, which include legally registered same-sex partnerships in the latter nation, reported that homosexual male couples were 1.5 times as likely to break up as married heterosexual couples.

breakup rates were even higher for homosexual female couples, who were found to be 2.67 times as likely to split as heterosexual married couples. when controls for demographic characteristics associated with increased risk of divorce were added to the analysis, male homosexual couples were 1.35 times as likely to divorce, and lesbian couples were three times as likely to divorce as heterosexual married couples.

...Source: Dr. George Rekers, Professor of Neuropsychiatry and Behavioral Science University of South Carolina School of Medicine

....so it isn't the greatest idea to have foster children raised by homosexual parents.

Baille 10 years, 2 months ago

The greatest idea, lunacydetector, is to have foster children permanently placed in stable and loving homes.

Currently there are simply not enough people who care enough to actually stop talking about the issue and take in our foster children. This means that hundreds of Kansas children will grow up with no family, no connections, and no idea of what unconditional love means.

I would rather judge potential placements based on the individuals involved rather than on some gross generalizations about the traits of certain subsets of our population.

I simply do not understand why so many advocate for keeping our children locked into lives lived in institutions or regularly interrupted by repreated moves between foster homes simply because available options do not comport with their limited concept of right and wrong. These children at least deserve a chance at being able to live with a loving family.

Richard Heckler 10 years, 2 months ago

Dr. George A. Rekers is the state's expert witness in Howard v. Child Welfare Agency Review Board, in which the Lesbian and Gay Rights Project at the American Civil Liberties Union represents three prospective foster parents in challenging a law that bars gay people and people in households with gay family members from foster parenting.

• Rekers is one of the founders of the Family Research Council, a notoriously anti-gay group.
  • Rekers relies on the discredited research of Paul Cameron, an anti-gay "researcher" who was kicked out of the American Psychological Association for misrepresenting the research regarding homosexuality.
  • Rekers has suggested that gays are unsuitable to serve as foster parents because they're at higher risk for AIDS and other sexually-transmitted disease, ignoring the fact that there is a physical examination required of all foster parent applicants in Arkansas that would weed out any applicants with health conditions that could jeopardize a foster child.
  • Rekers says that children are best served when raised by both a mother and a father, but doesn't favor excluding single heterosexual single women from fostering.
  • Rekers is an ordained minister in the southern Baptist convention. He has strong religious beliefs about homosexuality and the role of men and women, including the belief that married women should be submissive to their husband's leadership in the home.
  • Rekers practices "conversion therapy," the attempt to "cure" people of being gay.
  • Rekers has said he favors pulling children from long-term placements with gay foster parents if the opportunity arises to place them in homes headed by straight parents even though, as he acknowledges, research shows such transitions are traumatic for children.

Richard Heckler 10 years, 2 months ago

Hats off to Baille for being right on target...obviously a very sensitive person with a bit of common sense.

hawk52 10 years, 2 months ago

Someone needs to do something about all the heterosexual couples who are abusing and neglecting their children. In my part of the state there isn't one child of a gay couple in foster care; not one child of a gay couple where the adoption has been disrupted or reveresed. Maybe gay adoptive and foster parents aren't the problem, but the solution.