Archive for Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Nursing home fined after aide is abusive

Lake View Manor employee fired after inspectors arrive

December 14, 2005

Lake View Manor nursing home is in trouble again.

State officials fined the Lawrence facility $7,000 last month after confirming reports that an aide had been rough with residents.

The nursing home is currently under a state-imposed ban on new admissions.

Attempts to reach Lake View owner Charles K. Pomeroy for comment Tuesday were unsuccessful.

Kansas Department on Aging records show that inspectors went to the nursing home at 3015 W. 31st St. on Nov. 17, after receiving complaints that an aide had been abusive.

Five residents cited the aide for being "mean," "rough," "hateful" and "verbally abusing."

State officials fined Lake View Manor $7,000 last month after confirming reports that an aide had been rough with residents. The nursing home is at 3015 W. 31st St.

One resident admitted trying to bite the aide after she had "been rough with me and threw me" onto a bed. Another resident said the aide had "jerked my legs and pulled my pillow from under me."

Though the nursing home's director of nursing had been aware of the aide's behavior for two weeks, the aide wasn't fired until after the inspectors arrived.

State and federal regulations require nursing homes to investigate complaints and suspend employees suspected of abuse or neglect.

In recent years, Lake View, which has 34 residents, has been cited several times for poor care. In February, Medicaid officials ordered the nursing home inspected twice a year rather than once.

If Lake View doesn't show "significant improvement" by August 2006 it's likely to lose its Medicaid certification, said Karen Sipes, a spokeswoman for the state Department on Aging.

The decision, Sipes said, will be driven by information gathered during the semi-annual inspections.

Without access to Medicaid, Lake View likely would be forced out of business.

The Nov. 17 visit was in response to resident and family members' complaints. It is not considered part of the semi-annual inspection process.

"They had shown some improvements," Sipes said, referring to earlier findings.

In Kansas, only two other nursing homes - Atchison Senior Village and Ottawa Retirement Village - are on the list for twice-a-year inspections.

Comments

badger 9 years, 3 months ago

How bad do you have to be, as a person, to make old people want to bite you?

It's so hard to find good senior care. My cousin spent a couple of years trying to find good care for her mother, who has Alzheimer's. The first place seemed good and was incredibly highly recommended, but on 'surprise' visits she would find her mother left in bed until midafternoon, with her hair unbrushed and her therapy not done (she was still having occasional lucid days, and the doctors said that with therapy she could retain that lucidity for a few more years). It took three months to find a new place, by which time my aunt had lost another chunk of her cognitive function from the neglect - my cousin tried to do the therapy as as she could, but she wasn't really trained. At the second place, about a week after moving in, she witnessed an aide hitting a patient. She let the manager know and started her search again.

Luckily, at the third home, my aunt is up and dressed with her hair brushed and her glasses on by 8. All the residents have tags with their names on them in big letters, so that the aides and nurses can address them by name when they see them in the hall. It's really kind of nice to hear the aide walking down the hall saying, "Good morning Anna, you look very nice today! Hi Herbert! You've got your Hawaiian shirt on, I see," and so forth. On nice days they take them out in the garden for fresh air. My cousin has shown up unannounced a number of times, and has always found the standard of care the same as it is on the traditional visiting day of Sunday. When we were there, my aunt looked happy and healthy, and she'd put some weight back on and gotten some color back.

I know there's a massive nursing shortage, and it's hard to get good help, but letting someone stay who puts you at risk of losing things like Medicare certification is a pretty dumb business decision.

bankboy119 9 years, 3 months ago

If they were paid more than $9 an hour then they could find better help. Badger, I'm sorry for the experience your aunt went through. The problem really does lie in the fact that these people are not being paid enough to care. Banks will start their part-time tellers at higher than $9 an hour and they still do not get the best candidates.

Ragingbear 9 years, 3 months ago

Every time I turn around, Lakeview Manor is in trouble for something or other. They just need their license revoked.

badger 9 years, 3 months ago

Well, Ragingbear, there's a process for that.

I'd say Lakeview is well on its way through that process.

badger 9 years, 3 months ago

Most of the nurses and aides I know who've done eldercare say it's not so much the low pay and understaffing that makes them not want to work nursing homes, but the treatment by management.

One friend went to notify the manager of the nursing home that a patient had bedsores in danger of becoming infected, and that he wasn't receiving the necessary attention. She was told, "Shut up about it. He doesn't have any family that visits, so worry about taking care of the patients we could get reported on for." Another complained about a fellow aide stealing out of people's rooms, and had her tires slashed because the other aide was told, "So-and-so says you're stealing. You should stop that."

When my cousin went to complain that her mother wasn't receiving the right care or therapy, the manager said to her (in full hearing of several members of the staff) that what with nursing shortages and all, they were reduced to the employees they could get, and so they tended to have a lower quality of staff, so what can you do if you just can't get any good people?

At the home where my aunt is now, the cost is the same and they're just as understaffed. But the management seems to genuinely try to let its staff know they're appreciated. During last year's flu epidemic, my cousin walked into the dining room to find that the manager herself had stepped in to help serve lunch when the cafeteria staff went short, and that members of the admin staff were doing double duty greeting visitors and fielding non-medical questions to free up an aide for floor work. Everybody just pitched in, no question, wherever they could.

I think that a bigger problem than the capped reimbursements is that a lot of the people who run nursing homes are profit-driven, not care-driven. If they can make an extra half-percent profit on the bottom line by drastically cutting the standard of care or the treatment of staff, they'll do it.

Confrontation 9 years, 3 months ago

I totally agree with Badger. My mother has been an aide in nursing homes for over 20 years. She just finally reached $9 per hour, although she has to drive 40 minutes to get to work. I've heard the horror stories for years. Most of the aides are hired right out of high school. Their community college certificate is paid for by the nursing home, and they have to agree to work for them for at least one year. Most of these kids end up hating it and taking it out of the patients. The management will do whatever it takes to keep an aide, regardless of what they've done. My mom works with two aides who are addicted to pain medication. These aides also steal from the nursing home. My mom reported this, and she was told that she was just trying to get revenge, although other workers saw the same stuff happening.

Even worse, these aides cannot afford health insurance. My mom would lose almost 1/4th of her monthly income if she had insurance. They have sick days, but if they use more than 2 per year, they are on probation. My mom was extremely sick one day, and the management made her go home. Then, they wrote her up for it. They threatened her with a $2 per hour pay decrease! I wonder what the family members of these patients would think if they knew that aides were coming to work sick. The last place you want to bring illness is a nursing home. Of course, a lot of family members forget about their elder relatives that they dump off in a nursing home.

Ragingbear 9 years, 3 months ago

Lakeview Manor hasn't had an activities director in nearly a year. Nobody wants the job due to bad pay and high office politics. Meanwhile, the elderly, our elderly are wasting away not even being able to do much more than watching TV.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 3 months ago

angel4dennis 9 years, 3 months ago

I also work in a nursing facility doing Medical Records but I have been in the CNA position. While it is very hard work and low pay, we have to think about the residents. They are the reason we are there, without them there would not be a job to do. That is why they are also called clients. It is true that some management teams do not do the best job that we think they should do, however they also are under a lot of pressure from the State and families of the residents. I find it sad that this aide who was entrusted to take care of our mothers and fathers, aunts and uncle, do so in such a cruel and uncaring manner. It is not fair for a person to be treated so poorly just because of low pay, management issues, or whatever. They knew how the pay was when they started the job. As a citizen of the USA, they should be thankful they even have or had a job, there are many people who don't. The elderly are living, breathing history books just wanting to talk about their lives and experiences. They are full of knowledge and interest. I do hope this person is not allowed to ever work with these beautiful people again. I pray that she acknowledges the wrong she has done and she better pray that when she gets older and needs help taking care of herself, that there is not another aide who is upset over low pay and management- taking it out on her.