Archive for Saturday, December 10, 2005

Yellow House probe ongoing

Police say tracking leads will take time

December 10, 2005

Lawrence Police continue to review several items and online records seized last week in a stolen property investigation related to Yellow House Store.

"There's a great deal of different leads that we have to follow, and that will take some time," Sgt. Dan Ward said.

On Dec. 2, police executed two search warrants at the resale shop the Yellow House Store, 1904 Mass., and the home of the store's owners, Guy and Carrie Neighbors.

During the search, officers said they recovered items from the store and home suspected to be stolen.

The Internal Revenue Service, U.S. Postal Inspector's Office and Target Corp. have helped police during the investigation.

No arrests have been made, and police have declined to identify any targets or suspects in the ongoing investigation.

After their home and store in Lawrence were searched, Guy and Carrie Neighbors denied that they ever knowingly purchased or sold stolen property.

The couple said on Friday that they did not hear from police this week while business continued at their stores in Lawrence and Topeka.

"I had a lot of people coming in and supporting me," Carrie Neighbors said.

The couple have bought and resold appliances and other items for about 25 years in Lawrence. They first operated out of their home and later opened the store. They also sell items on the Internet.

Guy Neighbors said they have also looked at possible changes in the way they operate as a means for protection.

"We're trying to keep up with the evolution of our business so that we appear to be an honest business, which is what we are," he said.

The couple plan to cooperate with police in the investigation, Guy Neighbors said.

The investigation could last a month or longer because police are also searching e-mail activity, online purchasing records and banking records, Ward said.

Comments

cowboy 9 years, 4 months ago

No charges yet , I'd like to see the warrant and probable cause affidavit !

Ragingbear 9 years, 4 months ago

Oh come on! People have known for years that Yellow house was the place to hock stolen goods. Sure, you only got a fraction of what you would elsewhere, but you were pretty dang safe. Great place to get drug money.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 9 years, 4 months ago

I like Mom and Pop's liquor store next door. Great selection of import beers. Plus, the have a friendly cat that patrols the store.

sd123 9 years, 4 months ago

They helped my (then 10 year old) son learn a valuable lesson about stealing. My son was stealing things from our family. I called the store and spoke with Carrie. I explained the situation and she agreed to hold his video games and loan him $40 toward his games. My son then had to work around the house, rake leaves for neighbors and do odd jobs to earn back the money to go get his video games. He hasn't (that I'm aware of) stolen anything since. Carrie also talked with my son about stealing and I'm pretty sure he learned a valuable lesson. I'm sad to see these people going through this.

kansasfire911 9 years, 4 months ago

Isn't illegal for a pawn shop to buy from minors?

michial2 9 years, 2 months ago

If you would have read the post!!! Yellow house did this as a pesonal faver to the parent!! WHO KNows THAT YELLOW HOUSE WAS A GOOD PLACE TO HOCK THINGS FOR DRUG MONEY??? Mabe you should be investagated for drug sale and letting your buyers know where to get their drug money. Unless someone says that an item was stolen how would anyone know for sure. By your theory every one selling on ebay is a drug money fence!

Alexander Neighbors 5 years ago

2009 and the investigation is still ongoing........