Archive for Wednesday, December 7, 2005

Schedule conflict

December 7, 2005

To the editor:

A couple of working moms were discussing the injustices they suffer while trying to shop stores crowded with stay-at-home moms and children while they are in a big hurry on their lunch breaks. They are just trying to get a few errands done on their tight schedules and feel that stay-at-home moms could choose a better time to shop rather than lunch time.

I, as a stay-at-home mom, must apologize for my inexcusable, inconsiderate behavior. I don't know what I was thinking, shopping in public places at times that were convenient to me, when I should have been thinking of the harried schedules of those "working moms" whose time is so valuable.

Maybe those "working moms" could get together and post a schedule outside of HyVee, and if a stay-at-home mom shows up to shop and sees that the schedule indicates an inconvenient time for the "working moms" she could just load her kids back up into their car seats and go home to eat bon-bons and watch soap operas until the coast is clear. Kids are flexible, so if the stay-at-home mom needs to pull her 1-year-old out of bed and cut nap time short in order to fit into the "working moms'" schedule, well, her kids will adjust, right?

Especially during the holiday season, when we are all overextended, the stay-at-home moms like myself should really try to choose the least popular shopping hours in order to accommodate those "working moms'" schedules, don't you think?

Lana Grove,

Lawrence

Comments

Kookamooka 8 years, 11 months ago

If one has the luxury of avoiding a "rush", I suggest doing it. There is nothing more painful than taking kids to a super crowded store and waiting in a super long line.

Jamesaust 8 years, 11 months ago

SCHEDULE:

7-9am 11:30am-1pm 5pm-7pm

Got it?

mermily 8 years, 11 months ago

i agree that if one has the luxury to avoid a rushed time of day, they should make an effort to do so. not just for others, but for the sake of their own time- this is a no brainer!

of course, what the author was really talking about is the idea that "working" woman are only those that do so outside of the home. this is flat out offensive. although i have no children and work outside the home myself, i have complete respect for those people, primarily woman, that work within the home.

the conversation ms. grove apparently overheard was insensitive and rude. a lack of respect for those woman that stay at home is another form of sexism that is particularly abhorrent when visited upon a woman by another woman.

gabbygaberton 8 years, 11 months ago

In response to jamesoust: supppose I am dropping my kids at school, working in their classrooms, picking them up, and having them take their naps during the suggested appropriate "schedule"? Should I have you babysit and taxi-cab my kids around so I can be at the store during the non-rush times? It may seem a "luxury" to some ignorant people who don't spend 24/7 caring for their children and their family, but our time is no easier to schedule than those who "work", and we may have to be part of the crowd.

Got it?

miss_tigerus 8 years, 11 months ago

Hang in there stay-at-home moms!! You're doing the best thing by staying home with your kids. I did it for many years and wouldn't have traded it for anything. Maybe the working moms just need to "go home" and take care of their own kids, instead of having some one else do it for them.

Todd 8 years, 11 months ago

How's about having the children's father pick stuff up from the store or stay home with the kids? Swaking lady-folk would give a man less crap.

proudmomoftwo 8 years, 11 months ago

I am shocked to read some of the replies to Lana Groves post. When did society decide that stay at home moms were less worthy? The women she over heard were rude and insensitive. This battle of stay at home moms vs working moms is so stupid. We need to stick together as women and support each other. I have been both a stay at home mom and a working mom and niether job is easy. Wouldn't it be refreshing if we could all appreciate each other and stop judging. I plan to continue to grocery shop when it is convenient for me and I hope that the next time I am in a long line at the grocery store with my two sweet smiling children that instead of being annoyed by our presence people will find joy in sharing this couple of minutes with my children. They are our future. Help me to teach them how lucky they are to live in such a wonderful community.

mermily 8 years, 11 months ago

todd- hell yea. i was going to get on that banwagon, but thought i'd stick with one point for the time being. glad you noted it.

miss_tigerus 8 years, 11 months ago

It would be wonderful if the dad's would pitch in, but their too busy visiting with their "girl friends" This is the real world not "Ozzie and Harriett" from Leave It To Beaver