Michelle Colgan has shown steers at the Douglas County Fair for years, but this year was the first time one of them earned the title of grand champion.
Colgan was elated.
"It feels really good," the 18-year-old rural Lawrence girl said. "Every year we've tried our hardest but never did get that far."
The 1,339 pound steer she called J.P. sold for $3,297 during Sunday's 4-H and FFA livestock auction, the final event of the fair, which began more than a week ago. J.P. was purchased by Checkers, Gabriel Farms and Mark and Brenna Wulfkuhle.
Colgan, a member of the Clinton Eagles 4-H club, said she would use the money to help pay college expenses. In a few days she will start her freshman year at Kansas State University.
A total of 119 animals were sold during the auction, with sales totaling $114,025, according to fair officials. The auction was held in the Community Building arena at the fairgrounds.
While Colgan was savoring the results of long hours and many days worth of work raising J.P., John Brown was equally happy with his grand champion market hog. The 268-pound female hog, which Brown didn't name, was purchased by Hy Vee Food & Drug in Lawrence for $1,876.
"It's a real big honor," said Brown, 17, a member of the Palmyra 4-H club and who will be a senior at Baldwin High School this year. "Douglas County has one of the most competitive fairs anywhere. It's good to see everybody do well."
Brown said his money also woulld be used for education, with most if not all going into a college education savings account.
Brown said he probably would enter another hog in next year's fair, but for Colgan, this will be the last time she shows a steer at the fair.
"I thought about it, but this way I'll go out on top."
Results of the 4-H/FFA livestock auction
A total of 119 animals were sold at auction Sunday as the Douglas County Fair drew to a close. Sales totaled $114,025.12. The results of the top auctions: ¢ The grand champion market steer, owned by Michelle Colgan, Lawrence, weighing 1,339 pounds, was purchased by Checkers, Gabriel Farms and Mark and Brenna Wulfkuhle for $3,297.90. ¢ The reserve grand champion market steer, owned by Wyatt Schumann, Lecompton, weighing 1,220 pounds, was purchased by Lawrence Funeral Chapel and Perry Milling for $2,600.40. ¢ The grand champion market sheep, owned by Braxton Nottingham, Lawrence, weighing 137 pounds, was purchased by Bayer Pharmaceuticals for $1,876.04. ¢ The reserve grand champion market sheep, owned by Morgan Trowbridge, Olathe, weighing 128 pounds, was purchased by Penny's Construction for $1,517.76. ¢ The grand champion market hog, owned by John Brown, Baldwin, weighing 268 pounds, was purchased by Hy-Vee Food & Drug for $1,875.96. ¢ The reserve grand champion market hog, owned by Christopher Brown, Baldwin, weighing 260 pounds, was purchased by Flamingo Enterprises for $922.20. ¢ The grand champion market rabbit, owned by Troy Stanley, Baldwin, was purchased by Lewis Veterinary Clinic for $400. ¢ The reserve grand champion market rabbit, owned by Lacey Hunsinger, Lawrence, was purchased by Douglas County Farm Bureau for $375. ¢ The grand champion meat goat, owned by Morgan Trowbridge, Olathe, weighing 105 pounds, was purchased by Checkers for $489.25. ¢ The reserve grand champion meat goat, owned by Quinton Keen, Baldwin, weighing 90 pounds, was purchased by Douglas County Bank for $380.
Douglas County Fair - 2005
- 6News video: Kids show off power during pedal pull (08-07-05)
- 6News video: Award ceremony recognizes 4-H'ers (08-07-05)
- Livestock auction closes Douglas County Fair (08-08-05)
- Fiery tractor pull heats up county fair (08-07-05)
- Derby delivers demolition aplenty (08-06-05)
- 6News video: Demolition derby a hit at fair (08-05-05)
- Tractors pull in fair crowd (08-05-05)
- 6News video: People still care about the fair (08-04-05)
- Exotic animals strutting their stuff at Douglas County Fair (08-04-05)
- Incarcerated boys hope their garden will yield ribbons (08-03-05)
- Fair play (08-03-05)
- 6News video: Fair festivities continue (08-02-05)
- 6News video: Douglas County Fair gets into full swing (08-01-05)
- Horses draw big crowd at Douglas County Fair (08-01-05)
- 6News video: Riders dazzle crowd at 4-H horse show (07-31-05)
- On the Street: What is your favorite thing about the county fair? (07-31-05)
- Festivities saddle up (07-31-05)
- Back from her tour in Afghanistan, reservist ready to horse around again (07-31-05)
- Douglas County Fair to kick off this weekend (07-29-05)
- Sparks fly for derby drivers (07-25-05)
- Pets steal spotlight at early events (07-24-05)
- 6News video: Pet show kicks off Douglas County Fair (07-24-05)
- County fair contests get early start (07-23-05)
- Douglas County Fair Web site
- More stories on the Douglas County Fair »»
- Photo Gallery: Douglas County Fair 08-07-05
- Photo Gallery: Douglas County Fair 08-06-05
- Photo Gallery: Douglas County Fair 08-05-05
- Photo Gallery: Douglas County Fair 08-04-05
- Photo Gallery: Douglas County Fair 08-03-05
- Photo Gallery: Douglas County Fair 08-02-05
- Photo Gallery: Douglas County Fair: What the ribbons mean
- World Online Panorama: 4-H Horse Show
- Audio Slideshow: 4-H Horse Show
- Photo Gallery: 4-H Horse Show
- Photo Gallery: Douglas County Fair animal shows