Staff members to ask for annex plan
City staff members will ask commissioners to allow them to move forward with the creation of a service plan to annex the Miller-Wells subdivision that is in the northern part of the city near the former Riverside School.
Staff members said they would like to begin creating specific plans for how the area could be annexed and connected to the city's sewer system. The area currently is in the unincorporated part of the county and is served by septic systems, which have periodically failed over the years. Staff members are recommending that the plan would allow the area to be annexed but residents could wait to hook onto the city's sewer system until their septic systems began to fail. The plan likely would include the creation of a benefit district that would require residents of the subdivision to pay for some of the costs related to the sewer improvements.
- receive public invitation from the Lawrence Civic Choir to its spring concerts.
- proclaim the week of April 25-29 as Tree City USA Week and April 29 as Arbor Day.
- proclaim April 29 as Direct Support Professional Day.
- proclaim the week of May 1-7 as Vietnam Veterans Recognition Week.
- proclaim the week of May 1-8 as National Music Week.
- proclaim the month of May as Older Americans Month.
- approve city commission meeting minutes from April 12.
- receive minutes from various boards and commissions.
- approve all claims.
- approve drinking establishment licenses for: Bambino's, 1801 Mass.; Buffalo Bob's Smoke House, 719 Mass.; Set 'em Up Jack's, 1800 E. 23rd St.; Replay Lounge, 946 Mass.
- bid and purchase items:
a.) approve purchase of necessary property interests from David and Joan Brunfeldt for the Monterey Way street improvements in the amount of $46,000.
b.) authorize the city manager to execute the supplemental amendment to the engineering services agreement with Professional Engineering Consultants in the amount of $16,000 for bridge improvements on Kasold Drive.
c.) authorize city manager to enter into an engineering agreement with BG Consultants in the amount of $10,299 for street and storm sewer improvements on Third Street between Alabama and Illinois streets.
- adopt on first reading an ordinance authorizing the sale, consumption and possession of alcoholic beverages May 6-7 for the Sertoma Club BBQ Cook-off fund-raiser at Broken Arrow Park.
- adopt on second and final reading an ordinance rezoning 5.57 acres at 1503 Haskell Ave. from RS-2 Single Family to PRD-1 Planned Residential District.
- adopt the following resolutions establishing:
a.) city traffic-calming policy pursuant to commission approval April 19.
b.) city traffic-calming priority ranking system pursuant to commission approval April 19.
- approve a temporary-use permit for a promotional display for a new housing development at 4500 Bob Billings Parkway from April 30 to May 1 and from May 7 to May 8.
- receive five-year plan to forward to Kansas Department of Transportation.
- receive notification from Kansas Development Finance Authority of pending issuance of bonds for the renovation of Hashinger Hall and the refinancing of bonds for Templin Hall on the Kansas University campus.
- authorize the mayor to sign release of mortgage for Lyle and Jane Platt, 216 N. Minn.
- approve as signs of community interest a request from the Lawrence Home Builders Assn. to place signs in various rights-of way for the Spring Parade of Homes.
- City manager's report.
- consider request submitted on behalf of the Lawrence/Douglas County Economic Development Board seeking direction on various industrial development and open-space issues.
- consider adoption of the 2005 Action Plan related to Community Development Block Grant and HOME programs.
- receive request from Randy Hamm for an exception to the building permit moratorium to allow building permits to be issued at 934 and 940 Ward Ave.
- receive staff report on Miller-Wells sanitary sewer and annexation issues.
- receive report on 2005 street maintenance program.